Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you buy your fountain pens?

FP_GaF

Default Where do you buy your fountain pens?

Most of my modern pens have come from two trusted online retailers in the UK. The nice thing about them is that I know I get top quality. The downside of course is price, it is almost impossible to find real bargains.

My vintage pens have almost exclusively come from eBay and as we all know there are incredible bargains to be had. But almost every single pen needed further work even though the seller claims they are "in woring order", whatever they mean by that. Now, I do love to repair and restore old fountain pens but I feel that with eBay it is very much hit and miss. A fair portion of luck is required. I know I can return unsatisfactory items. Sometimes I just like the convenience of knowing exactly what I get.

And then there is this special store for writing instruments and high quality stationary in my hometown. They have "Da Drawer". This is where they keep the special offers. I found some of my most precious (valuable and/or dear) fountain pens in this store. A Sheaffer Legacy I, for instance, and on my last visit home last year I got an Aurora Talentum. And the nice bit is that these offers are ususally 50% to 60% off the original store prices. The pens are perfectly fine, they are just final stock or they could not be sold for a long time. Last Year I saw a Pelikan M620 New York that had been lying in the store for more than eight years! It was on sale for 120 Euros (I had only funds for one pen and I already had three Pelikan FPs but no Aurora). I guess we all have our "special secret source" for thise grail pens.

So how about you? Do you trust eBay? Do you prefer modern pens and online retailers? Or do you have that very special super secret once-in-a-lifetime rare-as-fairy-dust incredibly awsome fountain pen dealer? ...and what's the address and phone number?
    Last edited by FP_GaF; June 23rd, 2012 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks

for the most part from either jetpens, gouletpens, or isellpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Most from Goulet, some from Colorado Pen, Chinese from hisnibs.com. Have bought 4 or 5 from eBay all but the PCA pen disappointments. And 2 directly from Twsbi and 2 from Edison.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

I purchase most of my pens online. I've had positive purchasing experiences with Richard Binder and Todd (isellpens). No affiliation, just a happy customer. :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Fountain Pen Hospital, Bert up t Bertram's Inkwell, and Fahrneys mostly. Others here and there. Just got a great price from FPH and ordered my Homo Sapiens Stainless Steel. Oversized fountain, of course.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by etoyoc View Post
    for the most part from either jetpens, gouletpens, or isellpens
    These three for me too. There is a brick and mortar luggage store that carries fountain pens up in Lexington Ky, I think it is called "Leather, Inc". My daughter goes to college up there and the last time I was up there to drop her off I picked up a Pelikano Junior and a bottle of ink from them. Other than that one purchase, they've all been from the three etoyoc mentioned.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it."
    — Caesare Innocente

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Ebay is second to none for disappointing FP purchases.

Other than that I use the pens I have. Just kidding. Jetpens, the Goulets, Isellpens, they all offer something worth part of your paypal balance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Lets see.

I forgot to add the FPN and FPGeeks classified section!
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; June 23rd, 2012 at 11:18 PM.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

A couple of good vintage pens from Ebay, Jetpens, and a couple of local stationery stores.

Thanks

Aside from the spots already mentioned Peyton Street Pens and Mauricio at Vintagepen.net.

Thanks

Several pen eBay purchases I have made were lost in the mail. Tracking shows they were delivered, but they weren't delivered to me. Not the sellers fault, not PayPals fault, not eBays fault. But delivery confirmation said they were delivered. I did not receive them. I lose and as long as that delivery confirmation says I received them I have nothing to stand on. So, I don't order pens through eBay anymore. I have bookmarked gumwater and will keep them in mind for future purchases.

Thanks

I buy some pens online - good online stores here in the UK and in Italy, so far - and I also have a very good pen shop not too far away (Penbox)- always well worth a visit. Have had one good experience with a Japanese seller through eBay, bought from sellers in forums such as this and, just occasionally, stumble upon bargains in department stores and stationers. The only problems I seem to have are with delivery, but a severe email to the main culprit has sorted that, I think - for now. The other problem is paying the wretched plastic off at the end of the month!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

All my purchased pens are Lamys.
    About a quarter were walk in and buys here in Australia but the prices are 30-50% higher than on-line.

There rest were on-line shops or eBay.
    Two from Australian sources and a few from UK or HongKong and the rest from Malaysian eBayers.
    The biggest problem is the inefficiency of my local post office at finding the items in their store room.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Farhneys, John Motitshaw, ebay and Perks here in Vancouver.
    Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock,Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia, Parker Duofold senior special (1927 vintage), Sheaffer imperial 777,Parker 51 special,Stipula Tuscan dreams piston, Stipula Tuscan dreams Ti flex nib,1944 Vac 51.

Thanks

90% of my pens are from ebay. For the rest I went to bigger department stores or ordered them through a specialized stationary store.

Thanks

I buy mine mostly from the Goulets. I have a few Kaweco's from Jetpens and I have bought a few from isellpens. I have used ebay for some Esterbrooks and a Parker 51 as well. ipenstore gets good marks from me too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 599 Posts

The place with the lowest prices--Pam Braun, Printhardcopy (on FPN), or Ebay. For inks, Goulets all the way

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

If I buy a pen brand new I usually just buy from whoever has it for the best price. The vast majority of my pens, modern or vintage, come from eBay. I've been pretty fortunate with most of my vintage pens in that when they're listed as working they usually are.

One time I was lucky enough to find a retailer in Chicago who was liquidating their pen inventory and I picked up a vanishing Point for $60. I was pretty stoked about that!

Thanks

There are a few vendors I use for 90% of my purchases of which Goulet and ISellPens are at the top. Beyond that, especially if I'm looking for something specific, it will be eBay, or some other online vendor. I've also purchased a good number of pens in antique and curio shops or at pen shows I've attended. I try not to pay full retail for anything if I can help it.

goldiesdad

For me:

Mainly : gouletpens and isellpens

I have purchased a few from Richardspens and Peyton Street