Thread: My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

So grabbed this "Fully Restored" Skyline for $35 (no shipping since the seller turned out to be local). Which I guess means he restored the original chew marks back onto the pen.

For 35, I see it as a good 'starting point' provided the sac, feed and nib are restored/cleaned/working (which they seem to be).

Now I just either need to find a replacement cap, or just the derby style clip, and it'll pretty much be usage grade. Not really finding much in the way of clips.

PS: That pink 'stuff' is teflon tape, other than the clip being missing, the only other issue stated in the listing was that the threads on the upper cap weren't well secured, as such teflon tape was used to secure it. Only issue is, seems that the side of the nib impacts with the side of that inner cap depending on which angle it is put in.

Edit: Fills and writes nicely though. (Oh that's Diamine Syrah btw)

Edit #2 :

I just got finished giving the pen a shine job, won't get rid of the scratches completely but it's much shinier and nicer to the touch.

I also have a cap and clip on the way (ran me $12 including shipping), a green/black striated cap with a clip that I can clean up and polish and either decide to move the clip over, or do a little mixing and matching with a celluloid cap on the burgundy body (but keep the original cap in case I decide to resell).
    Last edited by KBeezie; August 16th, 2014 at 08:06 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (August 17th, 2014), krazyklod (August 17th, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

And bumping with an update regarding cap replacement.

I Received a cap today I got off ebay (for $15... why not). I was originally just going to move the clip over to the burgundy cap, but this cap fits on and screws on much better (the inner cap doesn't collide with the sides of the nib like the burgundy cap did). So I got it all soaked, disassembled, cleaned and polished.

Not exactly color coordinated, but it works rather well.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Art (August 19th, 2014), Jon Szanto (August 19th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Nicely done, and documented. W/E certainly had good plating, as it seems like even some of the ugliest clean up very well.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Nicely done, and documented. W/E certainly had good plating, as it seems like even some of the ugliest clean up very well.
    I actually asked Sean about that before getting the caps, as he mentioned to me they're pretty heavy on the plating when it comes to the clip, though the actual clip itself is rather thin and soft, so have to be careful not to crack it when removing it.

Thanks

I'm pretty excited to see the new W/E pens this weekend in SF, and I've pretty much promised Syd I'm going to purchase one of the 100 Year Anniversary Skylines. He is a wealth of information on the company and I'm taking a couple of older Skys to ask some questions. I hope you saw the vid that Dan (Tim?) shot with Syd in DC. It's on the FPG home page...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I'm pretty excited to see the new W/E pens this weekend in SF, and I've pretty much promised Syd I'm going to purchase one of the 100 Year Anniversary Skylines. He is a wealth of information on the company and I'm taking a couple of older Skys to ask some questions. I hope you saw the vid that Dan (Tim?) shot with Syd in DC. It's on the FPG home page...
    :P Cool, but those are quite a bit over my price range.

The skyscraper one looks cool, even if it may a bit too "blingy" (for lack of a better word) for my everyday taste.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Not something I'd do on a regular basis, believe me. The top of the line are too bling for me, too, but I've been pestering Syd since before he had any pens made for the public. I saw a lot of them with him in LA, and it just seemed the right time. I'll sell some stuff after the show to make up for it, and - TBH - it is a bit of a reward for a rough few months.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Not something I'd do on a regular basis, believe me. The top of the line are too bling for me, too, but I've been pestering Syd since before he had any pens made for the public. I saw a lot of them with him in LA, and it just seemed the right time. I'll sell some stuff after the show to make up for it, and - TBH - it is a bit of a reward for a rough few months.
    Course come to think of it, if I were to sell 3 or 4 of my pens I *could* do it... but then in that line of thinking... is it worth it?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 19th, 2014)

Thanks

Course come to think of it, if I were to sell 3 or 4 of my pens I *could* do it... but then in that line of thinking... is it worth it?
    Of course it is. Or, more properly put, it can be - and that depends on the individual. Me? I'm wanting fewer pens that I enjoy more, because, in four years time, I now find myself with more pens than I have any reason to retain.

I've expanded, and now I'm contracting. Just a shift in my motivations and interests.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I have that same problem of the Derby having possibly shrunk and now contacting the nib on the inside sometimes.

I think I wrapped the shrunken derby thread part in thread, and slapped shellac on, until it seemed ready to behave.

What I am going to do is to borrow a trick Flounder has used on other things, wrap a bit of sandpaper around a dowel and sand the inside of the part that has shrunk, so that it is less likely to hold up the nib.

It works now, but would be a lot less annoying if the inner thing a ma jig was less shaggy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scrivelry View Post
    It works now, but would be a lot less annoying if the inner thing a ma jig was less shaggy.
    I always get confused when the restoration people start using all the technical jargon in their descriptions.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Wow that cap cleaned up really well.
    Your pen looks the opposite of mine. I have a blue pen with a dark red striped cap.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    Wow that cap cleaned up really well.
    Your pen looks the opposite of mine. I have a blue pen with a dark red striped cap.
    LoL Wanna Trade caps? lol.