Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

  1. #1
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,813
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 539 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

    So grabbed this "Fully Restored" Skyline for $35 (no shipping since the seller turned out to be local). Which I guess means he restored the original chew marks back onto the pen.







    For 35, I see it as a good 'starting point' provided the sac, feed and nib are restored/cleaned/working (which they seem to be).

    Now I just either need to find a replacement cap, or just the derby style clip, and it'll pretty much be usage grade. Not really finding much in the way of clips.

    PS: That pink 'stuff' is teflon tape, other than the clip being missing, the only other issue stated in the listing was that the threads on the upper cap weren't well secured, as such teflon tape was used to secure it. Only issue is, seems that the side of the nib impacts with the side of that inner cap depending on which angle it is put in.

    Edit: Fills and writes nicely though. (Oh that's Diamine Syrah btw)



    Edit #2 :

    I just got finished giving the pen a shine job, won't get rid of the scratches completely but it's much shinier and nicer to the touch.



    I also have a cap and clip on the way (ran me $12 including shipping), a green/black striated cap with a clip that I can clean up and polish and either decide to move the clip over, or do a little mixing and matching with a celluloid cap on the burgundy body (but keep the original cap in case I decide to resell).
    Last edited by KBeezie; August 16th, 2014 at 08:06 PM.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

    Crazyorange (August 17th, 2014), krazyklod (August 17th, 2014)

  3. #2
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,813
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 539 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

    And bumping with an update regarding cap replacement.

    I Received a cap today I got off ebay (for $15... why not). I was originally just going to move the clip over to the burgundy cap, but this cap fits on and screws on much better (the inner cap doesn't collide with the sides of the nib like the burgundy cap did). So I got it all soaked, disassembled, cleaned and polished.

    Not exactly color coordinated, but it works rather well.




  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

    Art (August 19th, 2014), Jon Szanto (August 19th, 2014)

  5. #3
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,908
    Thanks
    5,190
    Thanked 7,547 Times in 2,812 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

    Nicely done, and documented. W/E certainly had good plating, as it seems like even some of the ugliest clean up very well.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  6. #4
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,813
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 539 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Nicely done, and documented. W/E certainly had good plating, as it seems like even some of the ugliest clean up very well.
    I actually asked Sean about that before getting the caps, as he mentioned to me they're pretty heavy on the plating when it comes to the clip, though the actual clip itself is rather thin and soft, so have to be careful not to crack it when removing it.

  7. #5
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,908
    Thanks
    5,190
    Thanked 7,547 Times in 2,812 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

    I'm pretty excited to see the new W/E pens this weekend in SF, and I've pretty much promised Syd I'm going to purchase one of the 100 Year Anniversary Skylines. He is a wealth of information on the company and I'm taking a couple of older Skys to ask some questions. I hope you saw the vid that Dan (Tim?) shot with Syd in DC. It's on the FPG home page...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    328
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 174 Times in 105 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

    I have that same problem of the Derby having possibly shrunk and now contacting the nib on the inside sometimes.

    I think I wrapped the shrunken derby thread part in thread, and slapped shellac on, until it seemed ready to behave.

    What I am going to do is to borrow a trick Flounder has used on other things, wrap a bit of sandpaper around a dowel and sand the inside of the part that has shrunk, so that it is less likely to hold up the nib.

    It works now, but would be a lot less annoying if the inner thing a ma jig was less shaggy.

  9. #7
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,908
    Thanks
    5,190
    Thanked 7,547 Times in 2,812 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

    Quote Originally Posted by scrivelry View Post
    It works now, but would be a lot less annoying if the inner thing a ma jig was less shaggy.
    I always get confused when the restoration people start using all the technical jargon in their descriptions.










    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  10. #8
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,813
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 539 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I'm pretty excited to see the new W/E pens this weekend in SF, and I've pretty much promised Syd I'm going to purchase one of the 100 Year Anniversary Skylines. He is a wealth of information on the company and I'm taking a couple of older Skys to ask some questions. I hope you saw the vid that Dan (Tim?) shot with Syd in DC. It's on the FPG home page...
    :P Cool, but those are quite a bit over my price range.

    The skyscraper one looks cool, even if it may a bit too "blingy" (for lack of a better word) for my everyday taste.

  11. #9
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,908
    Thanks
    5,190
    Thanked 7,547 Times in 2,812 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

    Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    :P Cool, but those are quite a bit over my price range.
    Not something I'd do on a regular basis, believe me. The top of the line are too bling for me, too, but I've been pestering Syd since before he had any pens made for the public. I saw a lot of them with him in LA, and it just seemed the right time. I'll sell some stuff after the show to make up for it, and - TBH - it is a bit of a reward for a rough few months.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  12. #10
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,813
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 539 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    :P Cool, but those are quite a bit over my price range.
    Not something I'd do on a regular basis, believe me. The top of the line are too bling for me, too, but I've been pestering Syd since before he had any pens made for the public. I saw a lot of them with him in LA, and it just seemed the right time. I'll sell some stuff after the show to make up for it, and - TBH - it is a bit of a reward for a rough few months.
    Course come to think of it, if I were to sell 3 or 4 of my pens I *could* do it... but then in that line of thinking... is it worth it?

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (August 19th, 2014)

  14. #11
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,908
    Thanks
    5,190
    Thanked 7,547 Times in 2,812 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

    Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Course come to think of it, if I were to sell 3 or 4 of my pens I *could* do it... but then in that line of thinking... is it worth it?
    Of course it is. Or, more properly put, it can be - and that depends on the individual. Me? I'm wanting fewer pens that I enjoy more, because, in four years time, I now find myself with more pens than I have any reason to retain.

    I've expanded, and now I'm contracting. Just a shift in my motivations and interests.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  15. #12
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,813
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 539 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Course come to think of it, if I were to sell 3 or 4 of my pens I *could* do it... but then in that line of thinking... is it worth it?
    Of course it is. Or, more properly put, it can be - and that depends on the individual. Me? I'm wanting fewer pens that I enjoy more, because, in four years time, I now find myself with more pens than I have any reason to retain.

    I've expanded, and now I'm contracting. Just a shift in my motivations and interests.
    Course for me, the pens I do have, I kind of know the brand, I know the expectations etc. With Eversharp, I only have this standard and a demi skyline, I've never used any other Wahl or Eversharp pen before, so it's pretty much unknown territory for me.

  16. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, Calif, USA
    Posts
    585
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 197 Times in 139 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

    Wow that cap cleaned up really well.
    Your pen looks the opposite of mine. I have a blue pen with a dark red striped cap.

  17. #14
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,813
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 539 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    Wow that cap cleaned up really well.
    Your pen looks the opposite of mine. I have a blue pen with a dark red striped cap.
    LoL Wanna Trade caps? lol.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •