Thread: WTT: Some Modern and Vintage pens for others (Sheaffer, Monteverde, Platinum, etc)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Talking WTT: Some Modern and Vintage pens for others (Sheaffer, Monteverde, Platinum, etc)

In a nutshell I would like to trade modern for modern and vintage for vintage, however I'm open to most options and exchanges.

Pens on my 'wish' list which may or may not be within my reach
    • Parker Vacumatic with some kind of Striated color (green, grey, blue etc), doesn't have to be see-thru but that would be cool.
    • The older Parker "Big Red".
    • Sheaffer Snorkel with a Triumph style nib that writes like a Fine or smaller (though finding an oblique or stub would be cool)
    • A standard or oversize style of Sheaffer Balance with striated color
    • A Pilot Custom (74, etc) with a Music Nib
    • A Doric (hey... eventually I'm going to have to get one)
    • Sailor 1911, I'm not very familiar with them, I've never owned a sailor before, but the 1911m look nice and I hear their nibs are a little fatter on the japanese standard but pretty smooth. When I originally looked at these I was looking for something like a 1911 standard or large, preferably with a 21K nib. But as I said, I know very little about Sailor.

Even if I didn't mention it above, I'm open to most as I'm still trying get a little more variety and I would not be opposed to trading two more more pens for one if it's something I may want in my collection.

The following Modern Pens I'm offering for trades

Most of these are simply here because I do not use them much.

Platinum PTL-5000 w/ 14K Extra-Fine Nib
    I originally did not expect to get this Platinum pen as I purchased it as a Wancher Limited Maki-e/Urushi "Kaki Persimmons Fruit" from the Engeika ebay shop, which arrived in what was clearly a Platinum packaging with Platinum branding on both the nib and body. I later identified it as a PTL-5000 with a 14K EF nib. It has some degree of line variation but it's not advertised as a soft nib. Also because it was a bit scratchy out of the box despite being correctly aligned I did give it some smoothing so it's much nicer now.

The most recent picture I have is

But I will get updated photos particularly of the bottom of the barrel where you post the cap because some of the clear urushi laquer has chipped off but the Maki-e paint job is still intact. (It's an aftermarket paint job done by Engeika, as they don't sell the PTL-5000 with Maki-e straight from Platinum). Value wise, the PTL-5000 can be had for around 60-70 USD from Japan (not including shipping) to around 80 USD from CultPen (UK, roughly 50 GBP), and that's without the paint job.

Monteverde Invincia Deluxe Nighthawk

It's the first version of the nighthawk with the larger carbon fiber weave and the green monteverde box and original threaded MV Converter. Currently it has a 2-tone Goulet Extra-Fine Nib, but I still have the original black-coated Monteverde Fine Nib that it came with (but I find my Goulet EF to be a bit nicer to write with than the MV).

I have not used it much since it started brassing roughly a month after I got it.

An example of the main area that started brassing is here:

Though it does have a chip of paint off the little 'ball' on the clip (showing silverish where it's chipped), and some paint chipped on the bottom corner of the barrel (showing yellow brass where it's chipped). There's also two faint white spots on the clear matte coating of the barrel, but none on the cap. I can provide updated pictures of all these spots upon request, the biggie is mainly what you see above on the section/grip.

It's currently filled with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo which writes well with both the Goulet and MV nib. They no longer make these matte finish carbon fiber Invincia Deluxes as they were a Goulet-Exclusive and was discontinued completely earlier this year.

Platinum Century 3776 w/ Soft Fine

Purchased on May 16th is my Black Century 3776 with gold trim and a 14K Soft Fine nib. Out of the three mentioned so far this is the one I'd prefer to keep the most depending on what's offered for trade. It's in good/very-good condition.

The most recent picture of it, but I'll get an updated one on request.

Includes the original box as well as a Platinum Converter.

Faber-Castell BASIC (Leather) with a Fine Nib

Rarely used since I got it as a replacement to the Carbon Fiber one that broke on me, probably the smoothest steel nib I have in a western fine. It's currently sitting uninked in my pen display.

Vintage Pens Up for Trading

Sheaffer Touchdown Statesman (Persian Blue, White Dot) w/ 2-tone 14K ~Fine Nib

This is one that I received in fair condition that needed a restoration, so I restored it myself with a brand new sac, cleaned up the nib, feed, cap and barrel, and gave the body and cap a polish job. Th white dot is flush with the plastic rather than raised. The nib writes like a fine with the Akkerman Binnenhof Blues ink I have it in currently.

Sheaffer Touchdown Admiral in Evergreen Green, 14K Feathertouch Accounting Nib

This one I purchased that was professionally restored by Write-On-Time Pen and Watch restoration with a warranty on the restoration. It's got a slightly heavier feel to the plastic than the statesman but it's a TM model so it's not a "Fat" touchdown. The nib is one of my thinnest ones (roughly what I'd call a Japanese Fine to Extra-Fine) with a light smooth feel to it but it's firm with no line variations. It doesn't get out of the house much and I will be de-inking it soon for storage due to lack of use.

Sheaffer Craftsman (Admiral?) in Persian Blue, Lever-filler and Monotone #33 extra-fine nib

One of my early 2014 ebay purchases where it was restored by the seller and polished with some brazilian carnauba wax. A beautiful blue just like my TD Statesman, but I already have the TD Admiral with a nib finer than this one and I'm not a big fan of the smaller #33. It's been de-inked for a couple of months now.

Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral (Black) with 14K Monotone M2 Medium Nib

Purchased and professionally restored around March of this year, also with warranty from Write-on-Time restoration. Currently my only snorkel however I find the medium nib to be a tad too big and wet for my taste and would prefer to have a Snorkel with a triumph nib more on the fine side. I would prefer to trade Snorkel For Snorkel, but in any case I would not be opposed to considering TD+Craftsman or Snorkel+Craftsman for a WD Snorkel with a Fine Triumph nib.

A picture of the three above Sheaffers as of late May (though do ask for updated pictures of any of them if you want).

Sheaffer Milady Balance in Striated Carmine and 14K 2-tone FeatherTouch nib (Fine~EF)

Another one that has been professionally restored by Write on Time (as such also has a 1 year warranty), I had this restored mid July of this year. It's a lever filler that is a bit smaller than the three pens above (it's slightly shorter than the Craftsman), basically the same size as a typical Lady Balance. If I were to trade this one or to include it along with another for trade, I would prefer to get a pen of similar vintage and striated/celluloid appearance. I love the way it looks, but for normal usage it's too small for my hands, and I don't like posting the cap on it (too pretty to scratch).

1958 "Ultra" Italian Import with Fine/Medium hooded nib
    I suspect it's actually an american store brand that's Italian made, it has a syringe style filler. The ink reservoir can unscrew from the section, which allows for the plunger and rod to push forward completely.

It has a mostly black body with a gold trim and a gold cross-hatch overlay on both the barrel and the cap.

Some Write samples of the inked ones (Note: The Falcon is no longer available as I originally offered these in hope of a Vanishing Point, which has occurred):

If you have questions or need pictures or additional information please let me know.

Do not be afraid to ask or make various offers, I'm open to a lot of things, and minor cosmetic issues on modern pens like a nick or scratch are not a major concern to me.
    Last edited by KBeezie; August 21st, 2014 at 11:09 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

top pen (August 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: WTT: Some Modern and Vintage pens for others (Sheaffer, Monteverde, Platinum, etc

Karl how many pens do you have in your collection these days?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Re: WTT: Some Modern and Vintage pens for others (Sheaffer, Monteverde, Platinum, etc

Quote Originally Posted by top pen View Post
    Karl how many pens do you have in your collection these days?
    Right now... Based on my List as of the 20th ( http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/list.txt ), 29, course the Falcon will be replaced by a Vanishing point. It *might* become 30 this weekend, as such you can see from my note-to-self I got a few I eventually plan on consolidating or selling (ie: sell off some of the cheaper ones or trade up multiples for one replacement, etc).

edit: updated it to be current as of the 21st.
    I'd like to try to get it down half that count by October.
    Last edited by KBeezie; August 21st, 2014 at 03:15 PM.