Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Slow Pace of Writing by Hand: how are *you* affected?

Thanks

Default Re: The Slow Pace of Writing by Hand: how are *you* affected?

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post
    I'm a touch hesitant to offer my thoughts on this, but here goes. In my own experience it really depends on what I am writing. If I am brainstorming or just getting ideas down on paper then I go fast and don't worry overly much about structure, grammar or spelling. On the other hand, if I am writing a letter to a friend I don't really want to have to do several drafts - that is, I try to get my thoughts in order and onto the page correctly first time of asking. So I slow down significantly, not so much in the act of writing but in the thought before the pen touches the paper. When taking notes at a lecture I cleave to the idea that handwriting forces one to actually listen, understand and summarise - as opposed to verbatim typing which requires none of these things.

I realise that many people do things in many different ways. This is my way, ordinary that it is. Sorry for not offering anything too exciting, illuminating or radical.

That sounds like like a very good method, don't be so hard on yourself. Is there anything you enjoy doing (pen related or not)?

Thanks

that is, I try to get my thoughts in order and onto the page correctly first time of asking. So I slow down significantly, not so much in the act of writing but in the thought before the pen touches the paper.
    It sounds like you and I approach it the same way.

My roommate in college said I looked very peculiar as I wrote letters. She said I would sit motionless, staring into nowhere for up to a minute or two, and then suddenly look down and start writing furiously. Then stop, and spend another minute or so absolutely motionless. I had and still do not have any sense of doing this. From my perspective, it feels like I'm writing continuously from start to finish. Though, time does have a peculiar flow while I'm writing. All too often when I'm done with a letter or story, it's somehow three hours after I started, the afternoon is gone, and I suddenly have to start dinner.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elaineb For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 22nd, 2015), Morgaine (March 25th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

That sounds like like a very good method, don't be so hard on yourself. Is there anything you enjoy doing (pen related or not)?
    I'm sorry, I don't quite understand the question, as it relates to my previous post. Probably my usual level of dimness I expect.

Thanks

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand the question, as it relates to my previous post. Probably my usual level of dimness I expect.

No, no, I was just trying to start a conversation and wanted ideas for discussion. Enjoy the sunny weather.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 22nd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Ah, I see. Well, it would be far easier to list those things I don't enjoy - much shorter list!

Thanks

I mainly write to take notes in what i'm doing. I find that it makes me slow down and actually process the information. I read very very fast and a lot gets lost when that happens. I also find that if I write down the important points I won't forget them. So its a beneficial and sometimes necessary process for me. I was practicing different styles a while ago transcribing some poems and may take that up again.
    My Pinterest Feel free to add me on Facebook as well.

Thanks

A little bump to an interesting topic.

Jon--sounds like you have found some good tools that match your needs well. I think that is one of the keys. I have been terrible at being organized or tracking tasks, deadlines, assignments, mileage, etc. for years. After my wife picked up a Midori TN, the light went on, and I created a similar TN, which has done me a lot of good. Much like the cards you have selected are working for you.

My writing can be about as fast as my typing, so the pacing is generally not so different. High school and--even more so--college ruined my handwriting, since I took copious notes, so I have to slow down significantly for other people's benefit. I'm not afraid to scribble some notes or even a full rough draft, even if I expect to copy the draft word-for-word for the final version. I just use loose paper or a cheap notebook for the notes and drafts. Sometimes I sit and ponder, but that just as often results in derailment, so I applaud those who can make it work.

But Neo alludes to an important distinction: far more of the brain is active while handwriting than typing, and herein is the challenge of an increasingly digital culture. Those who write retain orders of magnitude more than those who type, yet even the education system is pushing kids onto iPads and laptops. (BTW: most people under 20 can't write or even read cursive.) So I guess one could consider handwriting a means of keeping one's edge, and encrypting your messages.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackdeSpadas For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 21st, 2015), Neo (November 22nd, 2015)

Thanks

I don't think I write differently when using longhand vs computer. Nearly all of my writing (journal entries or letters) is done in drafts and would probably come out the same either way. If I am writing a long story longhand, I keep the work granular, leaving a half page empty every three pages or so. That way, the rewrite after editing is not so tedious. Besides, I like to write anyway and copying a page of text in a different color is not a chore.

I find that letters, especially, are much more appreciated if you take more pains with them. If you go a little artsy and print your own stationery, your letters can end up framed or pasted into scrap books.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Interesting topic, and how did I also miss it?

I'm sorry to say that I write like I type: full speed ahead, regret at leisure.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Laura N (November 22nd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

I still count on my writing speed to limit my thinking speed. There really is value in considering and contemplating.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 28th, 2015)

Thanks

I also use fountain pens and handwriting, in part, to slow my mind down. I also find the rhythm of writing relaxing. (Then there's the inks, paper, nob varieties, beautiful plans etc etc etc)