Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rohrer & Klingner Ink

Thanks

Default Rohrer & Klingner Ink

I found it very odd that no one on the last podcast had any experience with Rohrer & Klingner ink. I have been using it for a few years now and really enjoy it. I think since Eric seems to like green ink he would like the Verdigris or Verdura. I have found that Verdigris really works well in a pen that tends to be dry or has a skipping issue. They also offer a few iron gall inks. I like the Salix since it has a different tint of blue compared to Lamy and MB blue/black.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

While I have heard of the ink, looked at swabs and generally wondered about the ink, I have not sampled it yet. I am not particularly enamored with iron gall inks. I do have Lamy blue-black which is rumored to be iron gall but I don't think it has been confirmed. I don't use it much (I have filled two pens from it since I purchased it) and may post the bottle for sale and try some samples of Rohrer & Klingner inks with the proceeds.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I've purchased a bottle of R & K Fernambuk and while I like the color, I find it a dry ink. The only pen I can use it in is my Stipula Vedo. I've tried it in my TWSBI 540 and Micarta and it writes so dry I end up taking it out, but in my Vedo, it's flows perfectly. I'll have to try it in my other pen, maybe my Prera to see how it does. This has stopped me from venturing out and trying other R & K colors.

Thanks

R&K is one of my go-to brands as I find the inks well behaved with nice colors. I also appreciate that they're not oversaturated, so you get decent shading with the right pen/paper combination and the ink is reasonably easy to clean out of a pen. Currently have eight different colors plus the LE blue-black on order. Favorites are Verdigris, Alt Goldgrun and Salix.

I haven't tried Fernambuk, thus can't comment on maiboo's experience. The colors I own mostly have moderate flow, although I find that the iron gall inks (Salix and Scabiosa) do tend towards the dry side.

Thanks

I really like these inks and here in the UK they are good value for money. I've Konigsblau, Permanent Blau, Salix and Scabiosa (iron gall) and my favourite, Verdigris. That's a fabulous ink and one of my favourites. A limited-edition Blue-Black has just been launched but it's over three times the normal price and I shan't be bothering.
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks

I think it is a question of availabliity. R & K inks have not been available in the US for long (if I remember correctly.) That would explain why neither Eric nor Brian had experience with the brand. Stephen stated on the podcast that they are not available to him where he lives.

I have Alt Goldgrun and Scabiosa and really like both of them. The shade nicely and behave well on the papers that i use. Last night I tried a running water test on the Scabiosa, and there was almost no washout of ink at all.
    Draw close. Hold hands. Life is short. God is good. - Jan Karon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I don't even remember knowing about the brand until the Goulet's started carrying it. Of course, I did not know about any inks before December of 2010.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I don't even remember knowing about the brand until the Goulet's started carrying it. Of course, I did not know about any inks before December of 2010.
    I think the only company that really carried it regularly in the US before Goulet was the now defunct (what a shame) Pear Tree Pen Co. I really enjoy the Magenta and Alt-Goldgrun, crazy good shading for A-G as mentioned by others. Verdura and Solferino are on my list for full bottles, the samples have been great. R&K are pretty effortless to clean from my pens and I found the ones I've tried to be free flowing and well behaved. Good price and a sturdy utilitarian bottle. I also love the names, come one where else can you find names like Fermabunk and Alt-Goldgrun, if only things were that interesting in English.

I want to try both Salix and Scabiosa but haven't gotten around to it yet. I find both inks very intriguing - I like "different" inks and these seem pretty unique as far as modern Iron Gall ink goes.

Last edited by Truppi327; June 28th, 2012 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Yeah, Peat Tree had R&K a while before most others. I have two bottles of Solferino and I love it. If I'd had been on the show last week I would have been able to comment. I'll be there in full force this week though!

Thanks

Dan a big +1 on the Solferino! I first tried R&K inks when Brian Goulet sent out a batch of them for the January 2012 Ink Drop. The colors we got were:

• Helianthus
    • Magenta
    • Solferino
    • Verdigris
    • Verdura

After trying out all of those I ordered a bottle of Soferino and I'm actually now considering ordering a bottle of the Verdigris.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

What does Solferino look like? What color group?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

I've found Solferino to be a bright magenta. I don't have a bottle. I've only used the sample size. It's more purplish than J. Herbin Rose Cylamen, which is a kind of hot pink. But Solferino is definitely a purplish-pink, not a purplish-blue.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Thanks. I'll check out the Goulet swab shop.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

Alt-gold-grun is a great color. Helianthus is an interesting, but yellow inks don't have much readability. I can't wait to try Scabiosa.

Thanks

As left hand writer I like the Rohrer Klinger inks, because they dry fairly fast. Secondly the colors are unique and different.

Thanks

Does anyone else hate the bottles? I loooovvvve the ink but I really can't stand the bottle.

In all fairness, I could say that about half the inks I like. What is it with ink bottles? They're either pretty and you can't get the pen in or ugly/tippy/prone to cracked lids. Or, if the bottle's good, the ink is ugly/too dry/too wet/feathery or some other other undesirable feature.

Thanks

Scabiosa and Salix are absolute daily use inks for me; I use Salix for everything at work. I find them both to behave perfectly on nearly any paper, and they are extremely resistant to water. I'd call them waterproof, in fact.

Alt-Bourdeux is nice too, a tad feathery on cheap paper, but surprisingly water resistant.

I actually kinda like the bottles, honestly. To each her own....

Thanks

Konigsblau is now my go-to blue ink I also love Salix.
    ​Tamara

Thanks

Default Re: Rohrer & Klingner Ink

I've been using R&K Verdigris and Alt Goldgrun a lot. The colors are great and they have very good flow. Easy to clean, too. Am curious about Alt Bordeaux, might get that one day soon.

Thanks

Default Re: Rohrer & Klingner Ink

I like R+K inks a lot and do not bother about the glass, it's just plain simple and does the job. My favorite is Verdigris followed by Alt-Goldgruen and Cassia. A short while ago, I started with iron-gall inks and choose Scabiosa for it. It's quite a bit dryer compared to the other R+K inks but flows nicely in my Lamy safari with 1,5 nib.
    Regards, patta