Thread: What paper should I use for my summer session?

sokuban

Default What paper should I use for my summer session?

And what are reasonable prices for them?

So far I have a couple of ideas:

Leuchtturm: Probably way too expensive
    Clairfontaine: Probably too expensive
    Rhodia: Probably too expensive

The only place in my area that sells Leuchtturm in the area is this really high end store, so there's not much surprise there. I think they were selling their A4 book with 200 or so sheets for $20 I think.

I am currently using a Clairfontaine notebook, an A4 stapled 40sheets, it cost me about $5. I dunno how much this paper is supposed to cost, but that is quite a lot for me; all my non-FP using friends buy notebooks at the dollar store and laugh at me for having to spend $5 on a notebook. (I got that one mainly just to try it; I don't really want to be spending that much on every notebook I get from now on.)

I /think/ there are some stores in the area that sell Rhodia notebooks at a slightly cheaper (maybe $4?) price.

But one thing I've always wondered is, of the Clairfontaine/Rhodia/whatever stock, which products should I buy to get the best writing surface/dollar ratio? (Or are they all the same?—I doubt it. (For example there is the Leuchtturm up there; I said it was way too expensive, but I think they'd actually be a better writing surface/dollar ratio than $5 stapled Clairfontaine)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

I've never used Leuchtturm so I can't say anything regarding that.
    I did a quick check at Pear Tree Pens and Rhodia seems to be slightly cheaper than Clairefontaine. But the two are different, so deciding which you like is a matter of taste. I find Clairefontaine to have a slicker surface than Rhodia but it seems to accept very wet nibs and problematic inks a little better than Rhodia, it also takes longer for ink to dry.

I wouldn't worry about your non-FP friends laughing at you. You know you're having a much better writing experience than they are.

gillyohan

Using cheap paper is just going to make you miserable...seeing your nice inks just feather and bleed. Do you need A4 size?

If you want a good combo of cheap and decent quality, and don't need to turn anything in on that paper, you can go use comp books. I think the bagasse paper comp books at Staples work okay, but it can be hit or miss. Or you can try looking for Kokuyo notebooks at your local Big Lots, if you even have one where you are located. The Kokuyo books there are only $1.50 or so, which is really cheap. The only problem may be that they are all smaller than A4. When it comes to notebooks for school work, I prefer Japanese notebooks. Jetpens.com has a bunch of Kokuyo stuff, too, though you will want to buy in bulk to save money.

sokuban

Hmm, I haven't heard of big lots in the area. I'll keep in mind to buy a ton of paper next time I go to Japan; the paper there is really good and you can get Apica notebooks at a pretty good deal. (Here there is one store that actually sells Apica notebooks, but at about 10 times the price... and I mean actually 10 times; I can't believe people buy it.)

But yea; I don't really need A4. Now that I think about it, B5 is a more normal size for a notebook.

I actually have some bagasse looseleaf paper left, but I don't feel like using it because I heard it was discontinued.

gillyohan

I think Staples discontinued bagasse loose leaf, but they still carry bagasse comp books and maybe pads.

Where are you located?

Thanks

Neenah 24lb Classic Crest is awesome - about $18 for a ream of 500 - I use it for all my ink reviews and my pages in my Circa notebook
    Blogs: Via Gravatar

Twitter: FPOkami

Flickr: Flickr

sokuban

I'm located in Toronto.

Hmm, if I could find Classic Crest somewhere I'd get it. Would they have it at Staples or something?

Thanks

The Neenah Paper website has a "distributor finder."

Click HERE

...and let us know what you find =)

Eric
    Son of Ragnar

Thanks

I've been using Black n' Red notebooks for my reading notes. I use the 8 1/4 X 5 7/8 polyprop spiral books with 24# paper. I think I bought these at Staples or Office Depot. They make several different sizes and different covers. These are very fp friendly and fit for purpose.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly G View Post
    I've been using Black n' Red notebooks for my reading notes. I use the 8 1/4 X 5 7/8 polyprop spiral books with 24# paper. I think I bought these at Staples or Office Depot. They make several different sizes and different covers. These are very fp friendly and fit for purpose.
    Agreed this note books are great. I'm trying to find a Toronto source for you from Neenah for the Classic Crest. Will let you know when I hear back.

Thanks

Here is the information our rep in Toronto gave us about stores that carry our line:

3 locations:

Neenah paper sources:

Coast Paper cash + carry = 200 Galcat Rd. Vaughn ON L4L 0B9 ph: 905 850 1170

xpedx Paper + Graphics – Brampton ON = 905 595 4380 and Markham ON = 905 752 1188

sokuban

Wow, thanks for the information.

They are all a little too far for me to go on my own though; I don't have a car or anything. But I'll see what I can do.

I'll try checking Staples for the Black n' Red notebooks. Those sound good. How expensive should they be?
    Last edited by sokuban; April 18th, 2010 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks

Depending upon the type of Red n Black you get they run $5 -$9 USD each you should be able to search the Staples website for them

Thanks

It won't be helpful for you now, but when the Back to School sales start, I go to WalMart and purchase a load of their Norcom Composition Notebooks for $0.50 USD each. They are currently selling at $1.50, which is still a bargain, but the paper on these is excellent. I actually use one as a tester for pens I am considering purchasing, or pens that I am selling. I don't know if Walmart has expanded into where you are located, but they do have the great bargain on these notebooks.

Donnig

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

I like the Gold Fibre stuff I get at Staples. Top Bound graph paper and steno books. If I was in school that's what I would be using.

Thanks

I can vouch for Black N' Red too - very good, if not the most attractive books (imo).

Review of their diary (90gsm Optik paper) on my website, fwiw.

Thanks

Very nice review, Mr. Monkey.

I've never had the pleasure of even seeing a Black N' Red in real life.

Seems like a good excuse to visit London again!

=) Eric
    Son of Ragnar

Thanks

It's funny to think of these as something out of the ordinary - they're very much a staple of office stationery cupboards over here - indeed, the diary, despite it's fabulous paper, is, I'd say, in the budget/mid range for a day to page diary! I think the same paper ("Optik" 90gsm paper is used in a range called "Oxford Classic" too, although I rarely see those anywhere other than online office supply stores. They do have a slightly less aggressive branding than the immediately identifiable Black N Red though.

The US distributor is Mead; http://www.mead.com/meadstore/mwv/su...lack_n_Red_AAG which might save you a long trip

Thanks

Black N Red are available from Amazon