Thread: Sheaffer Carmine Celluloid Eye Candy.

Thanks

Default Sheaffer Carmine Celluloid Eye Candy.

Watching some recent posts here, I gather that Carmine (Pearlescent red-stripe-on-black) Sheaffer Celluloid has its followers.

Here's some eye candy I'd offered at FPB a couple years ago. Late 1930's Sheaffer Balance. Pens from my own collection, only one a conventional, catalogued USA-model, an oversized pen. All the others are even more interesting.

regards

David
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (September 4th, 2014), Jeph (September 5th, 2014), reprieve (September 4th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Default Re: Sheaffer Carmine Celluloid Eye Candy.

Lovely set, David. Thanks for sharing.

Is the one second from the right, with the chrome trim, Sheaffer branded? I only ask because the clip doesn't look familiar.

Thanks

It's most likely Canadian. Wasp pens, a Sheaffer sub brand, have a similarly shaped clip.
    Here is one with gold color trim not in David's picture.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sloegin For This Useful Post:

Jeph (September 5th, 2014)

Thanks

Reading material:

Thanks

Man i really want an oversized version.
    WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.
    Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

Thanks

I might soon have a spare gem OS Carmine but with the up-feature lined "Jeweler's Cap-band. Not inexpensive I fear.

regards

d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    Lovely set, David. Thanks for sharing.

Is the one second from the right, with the chrome trim, Sheaffer branded? I only ask because the clip doesn't look familiar.
    Hi Dan,

Others here pretty well have provided answer-- nice to see-- though one of the referenced FPB pages likely has couple errors in my own commentary. Really must fix someday.

The clip is a style seen on some Sheaffer sub-brand WASP pens in the USA during the 1930's. Did leftovers make the trip to Canada? Were they used for different market niche? Don't know, though they clearly appear often enough on Canadian pens to indicate regular usage in some capacity.

That the OS in Black shown in the link provided by sloegin, showing bit of different color to clip and cap-ring might even make sense in this context, with the native cap-band well gold-filled, but the clip, if originally made for a lower-lilne WASP, perhaps using cheaper plating.

I'm not even sure sloegins red set shown in pic above started out with yellow trim. I've seen some standard girth pens with brsasing to clip but with hint of white metal here and there, chrome plating perhaps that has gone bye-bye? Again, I cannot insist. I'd have to pull some samples but I believe I've seen pens with well brassed clips but with mostly intact cap-rings, supporting the hypthesis that the clips started out with weaker gold meant for lower line pens.

Canadian Balances offer a special set of challenges, no doubt.

regards

d
    Last edited by david i; September 4th, 2014 at 08:28 PM.
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 787 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by david i View Post
    Not inexpensive I fear.
    Somehow I think the fear is all mine.
    --
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

:P here's my carmine (eventually figured it to be a MiLady Balance, like a petite configuration of the admiral balance)

By the way what's the silver clip style second from the right in the original picture? (or better yet that model name) *edit* I just had to read down a couple posts.