Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the pfm??

Thanks

Default What do you think of the pfm??

I have the urge for a Pfm 1 in blue with an italic broad nib. I would like to hear what you think of the pfm and if there are any quirks with it. You cal also post pics if you want. I have the nib sorted but just need to find the pen. I think i have a lead on one from Michael of Northwest pen works, just waiting on confirmation.
    WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.
    Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

gregamckinney

Default Re: What do you think of the pfm??

For me, PFM is one of the very best vintage pens from performance and visual perspectives.
    I find them very reliable and durable. The looks are great, and they have a much thicker gripping section than many pens (most vintage pens.)
    Also, pretty much any restorer will work on snorkel model pens, so no searching for someone for an arcane fix to an unknown model pen.

I have a collection of 22 of the 25 main models and colors.
    However, the II is by far my favorite. My gray II never leaves my pocket.

Best Regards, greg

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gregamckinney For This Useful Post:

00Photo (January 23rd, 2015), Ahriman4891 (June 5th, 2020), AtomicLeo (September 11th, 2014), Cyril (July 1st, 2020), Jeph (September 11th, 2014), Marsilius (September 11th, 2014), Tony Rex (September 11th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gregamckinney View Post
    For me, PFM is one of the very best vintage pens from performance and visual perspectives.
    I find them very reliable and durable. The looks are great, and they have a much thicker gripping section than many pens (most vintage pens.)
    Also, pretty much any restorer will work on snorkel model pens, so no searching for someone for an arcane fix to an unknown model pen.
    I agree with Greg, though some folks prefer a flared section on their pens. I'll also mention that there are at least two different PFM V caps -- the "spire" and "block" versions:

"Spire" cap has central spike on top of long block, interspersed with medium-length grounded blocks; the "block" cap lacks the spire on its slightly wider long blocks, and the alternating shorter blocks are small and floating. I believe these variations are seen on Imperials as well.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton

Thanks

It might have been Richard who used North Tower and South Tower years ago for the different patterns. Old news, though fun.

I quite agree with Greg. Great pen to use. The essentially continuous barrel-section gives great ergonomics.

One of the most charming bits in the Lore of the PFM is that i had the chance more than ten years ago to photograph one of the rarest and most oomphy PFM's, English production in solid 9k gold.

That I'd get to buy it when I coordinated the buy out of a big chunk of Steve-O's collection a decade later? Priceless (!)... except that the pen had a price that was not insignificant.

Davey's solid gold PFM

Here's the shot from when I didn't own this one.

Getting it a decade later was one of my major Happy David moments. Are even three known today?

I didn't manage to get the smooth finish pen though.

regards

-d
    Last edited by david i; January 22nd, 2015 at 06:09 PM.
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

Thanks

At most 3 is all I can say I've heard about. Yours, Gary E. photoed one in London a few years ago and one turned up on FPN. The last two could be the same pen though, still that leaves 97 or 98 still "out there" if the touted run of 100 is correct. Given this number comes from people involved with Sheaffer UK at the time and are still alive it has significant credability.

Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by HughC; January 22nd, 2015 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

PFM is big and awesome. Ended up selling mine but I'd pick one up again if it called to me.

Thanks

Though it was the bottom-of-the-line model, I like the minimalist appearance of the PFM I -- not even a White Dot to clutter things up.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”

Thanks

Perhaps I'll do a modern reshoot of the solid gold PFM.

Probably time

regards

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.

Thanks

I was searching for a fine nib for my Sheaffer Targa and came across this pen. I love the looks of the inlaid nib and the ergonomics, with no step down.

They don't appear as common as some pens. From what I've gathered there's 5 different models? What should I expect to pay for a decent writer?

Thanks,
    Kent

Thanks

Five relatively commonly found models the PFM I,II,III,IV, V.

The Autograph is an additional model, one a bit off the main sequence and one that often falls under the radar for many collectors.

The usual pricing caveats apply. You might find a nice one at a flea market for $10 or overpay for a flawed poorly presented pen.

Buuuut, a clean restored pen sold retail with warranty likely will start in the $225-250 range. Bargains can happen.

The solid gold one will cost a bit more

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks

Here's a quick shot of a PFM I in my favorite color; I like the simplicity of the look:

--Daniel

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kirchh For This Useful Post:

Jeph (January 23rd, 2015)

Thanks

I suppose I could dig up a photograph of an Autograph. A rather special pen. Not everyone has one.

regards

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel1 View Post
    I would like to hear what you think of the pfm and if there are any quirks with it.
    I have a PFM-III, black with gold trim. As a user, I had to get one to see how I liked it. Unfortunately, the geometry doesn't quite suit me somehow. It's not the girth itself, as I like a lot of pens in the same range, but I think I prefer longer pens if the girth is that wide. I might like the ones that have metal caps better, since the plastic cap seems to add extra girth where it contacts the webbing of my hand. As it stands, I prefer the Targa to the PFM-III.

Having said that, the only "quirk" I can think of is that it's hard to clean out the secondary feed adequately if you're changing inks or preparing it for dry storage. For me to use it more, I'd feel like I'd need to pick just one ink to use with it...and then pretty much keep it inked. Neither is consistent with my customary modus operandi.
    --
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

I was only mildly curious about the PFM until I happened to be very fortunate and find a set for what can only be called a truly reasonable price. What I found is that it is one of the most comfortable pens for me to write with, and it has become one my favorite pens for writing letters. I like the simplicity (mine's a III in black) and it is smooth and reliable. Had I tried one and needed to pay top dollar, I probably would have passed. I consider myself lucky with this pen.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Hi Jon,

Yeah, I'm fond of PFM. Note too that the more recent Sheaffer Legacy pens offer PFM heft, that same appealing gripping zone, and a plethora of appealing finishes. Then there are the Imperials, which ran for decades, skinnier than PFM though similar, also offering many finishes. Here are some Legacies.

regards

d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks

Actually, David, I covet one of the Jim Gaston models, the Cobalt Blue (first seen by me when Jar posted photos of his). But, as always, resources are the issue. Dammit, Jim, I'm a drummer, not a doctor! (In a contorted version of "Bones" usual retort to Cap'n Kirk...)
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Actually, David, I covet one of the Jim Gaston models, the Cobalt Blue (first seen by me when Jar posted photos of his). But, as always, resources are the issue. Dammit, Jim, I'm a drummer, not a doctor! (In a contorted version of "Bones" usual retort to Cap'n Kirk...)
    I'm insulted that you felt the need to provide reference for your final remark.

-d
    Last edited by david i; January 23rd, 2015 at 02:22 PM.
    David R. Isaacson, MD

20. The Following User Says Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 23rd, 2015)

Thanks

I'm a Doctor...

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

22. The Following User Says Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

Frank (January 24th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david i View Post
    I'm insulted that you felt the need to provide reference for your final remark.
    It's an international forum, and just in case that didn't translate too well across the pond, or wherever. Or Wearever.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Even a drummer who lives long and prospers can ...

While I'm really fond of my PFMs I seem to find my Legacy family pens getting far more pocket time.The filling system of the PFM always struck me as somewhat of a Rube Goldberg invention.