Thread: A pair of Akkerman + Diamine Match-ups

Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 787 Posts

Default A pair of Akkerman + Diamine Match-ups

Carribean_skye was good enough to send me samples of Akkerman Parkpop Purpur and Chinatown Red. Since I had a good selection of Diamine purple samples and suspected Chinatown red to be Wild Strawberry, I said I would see if I could match them up. I think I did. I also compared to Diamine Lavender Purple, Imperial Purple, and Majestic Purple. Lavender Purple has the least of these three, but all three of these have a stronger reddish component than the Akkerman ink, whereas swabs of Diamine Violet were identical in hue.

I was dipping a slender Sheaffer Balance to do the comparisons, and I realized immediately that I had dipped it better for the Diamine Violet than the Parkpop Purpur, so I added some complexity to the rectangles on the right to try to head off people being sidetracked by the slightly different wetness. So, for each color, the rectangles are composed of 8 smaller rectangles. Only TWO of them are filled with the Diamine-branded inks, and those TWO are NOT in the same column. It is then clear that some of what the eye can detect as different is actually misleading and irrelevant.

I should add here that it is not necessarily the case that all Akkerman inks translate to Diamine standard inks. However, if you don't care about their cool bottles, are budget conscious, and you are enamored with one of the colors, it is worth a try to identify what seems to be the nearest Diamine color for the one you want.
    --
    Mike

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

D.C. Wright (September 13th, 2014), earthdawn (September 11th, 2014), FayeV (September 14th, 2014), Jeph (September 12th, 2014), Morgaine (July 3rd, 2017), reprieve (September 12th, 2014), Silverbreeze (September 12th, 2014), Special K (June 7th, 2015)