Thread: Newton Townsend

Thanks

Default Newton Townsend

I have been using and collecting pens long enough that I usually know what works for me and what doesn't, what is a passing fancy and what will be a long term treasure, but every once in a while a pen comes along that catches me off guard. My Townsend made by Shawn Newton of Newton Pens is one of those.

The idea for this pen began last May when I was browsing Shawn's site and saw a sterling clip that I instantly knew was destined to be on one of my pens. From that moment forward, every decision about the pen was made in reference to how it would work with that clip.

It was time to thin my pen herd anyway, so with a critical eye I sorted through my pen cases and decided which ones made the cut and which ones needed new homes. After raising the money by rehoming some gently used pens, I set out for the wait. As the summer waned, we fine tuned the details.

Then one day a couple of weeks ago, a package arrived in my post box. Filled with tension and fear that I had built my hopes up too much, I gently opened the box.

Shawn also sells these boxes, several options available.

Every pen Shawn sells comes with a custom slip case made by Shawn's wife. The presentation of the pen encased in the wrap and custom box was stunning. As I sat in my car at the post office, I was momentarily speechless. Not only was I not disappointed, everything exceeded my expectations. Look how the orange swirl on the cap looks like a finial. It's details like that that take a pen from ordinary to awesome.

For those familiar with my obsession with Edison pens, here is a shot with a Pearl. While they look similar, they feel different. Neither is better nor worse, just different.

After first impressions were over came the biggest question. How does it write?

I can honestly say that Shawn's custom ground nibs are as smooth or smoother than any I have written with, including the big names.

This pen writes beautifully, is well balanced, and is finished perfectly. This pen is a cartridge/converter filler with the option to use as an eyedropper filler (my favorite option) but Shawn is an innovator. He makes button fillers, bulb fillers, and I think I have even seen a piston filler that he made.

If you follow him on Facebook or Instagram, you will see shots of your pen in production -- all posted without names, of course, for privacy. :-) It's fun to watch your pen morph from a slab of raw material into a polished final work of art.

Go check out more of Shawn's pens at Newtonpens.com.

Better yet, come to the Dallas Pen Show this weekend because I have just found out that Shawn will be there with a table and a few more pens.
    Last edited by tiffanyhenschel; September 23rd, 2014 at 03:01 PM.
    Draw close. Hold hands. Life is short. God is good. - Jan Karon

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Art (September 23rd, 2014), benjitzu (August 12th, 2015), Bogon07 (September 24th, 2014), Chrissy (June 15th, 2015), damfino (August 3rd, 2021), fountainpenkid (September 27th, 2014), Haefennasiel (July 15th, 2015), jde (October 2nd, 2014), Jeph (September 23rd, 2014), Lady Onogaro (September 23rd, 2014), Laura N (September 23rd, 2014), mrcharlie (September 23rd, 2014), mtnbiker62 (September 25th, 2014), Neo (September 27th, 2014), reprieve (June 12th, 2015), rpsyed (July 14th, 2015), RuiFromUK (September 23rd, 2014), Tracy Lee (September 23rd, 2014), veteli (September 28th, 2014), writingrav (September 23rd, 2014), Yazeh (August 1st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Default Re: Newton Townsend

It really is beautiful, Tiffany, and your pleasure is so apparent! So glad this has been such a great experience. I talked to him in DC and his desire to be flexible and creative came across loud and clear. Thank you for sharing not only pictures (awesome, by the way, love it) but the entire experience.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Lee View Post
    It really is beautiful, Tiffany, and your pleasure is so apparent! So glad this has been such a great experience. I talked to him in DC and his desire to be flexible and creative came across loud and clear. Thank you for sharing not only pictures (awesome, by the way, love it) but the entire experience.
    I still love my Edison pens as much as ever and will surely be adding more over time, but you are right about Shawn's desire to be creative and flexible. He likes to think outside the box.

I met him when he came to Dallas two years ago. Isn't it fun to talk to someone who loves what they do (which he clearly does!) I'm so glad he is coming back to Dallas this year. I recently sent him a couple of crazy ideas, and this will give us a chance to brainstorm face to face. :-)
    Last edited by tiffanyhenschel; September 23rd, 2014 at 03:04 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 1st, 2023), Tracy Lee (September 23rd, 2014)

Thanks

I have 2 of Shawn's pens and I totally agree.
    The first one did not come out the colour I wanted from the blank, Shawn simply made another!!
    The wooden box was quite fascinating this time - I just couldn't open it at first!
    Then I dropped my Onoto Minor and broke the cap - Shawn made me a new cap in black which matches the end cap of the plunger.
    Shawn is A*

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to alc3261 For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 1st, 2023), Bogon07 (September 24th, 2014), damfino (August 3rd, 2021), jde (October 3rd, 2014), tiffanyhenschel (September 23rd, 2014), Yazeh (August 1st, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alc3261 View Post
    Then I dropped my Onoto Minor and broke the cap - Shawn made me a new cap in black which matches the end cap of the plunger.
    Shawn is A*
    If this was recently, I think I saw pictures of that in progress. It's a good looking pen.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 1st, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyhenschel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alc3261 View Post
    Shawn is A*
    If this was recently, I think I saw pictures of that in progress. It's a good looking pen.
    It was quite recently.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alc3261 For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 1st, 2023), tiffanyhenschel (September 23rd, 2014)

Thanks

Default Newton Townsend

I promise that I get no kickback for promoting these pens. I'm just a satisfied client and want to give my friends (you) a heads up. I thought about posting in the Classifieds, but this is more just an extension of the review I posted a few days ago. This is Shawn's inventory of pens left over from the Dallas show this weekend, posted on Facebook. If you were to order a custom pen from him today, it would be January before your turn came up in the queue, but these are current inventory.

You can go to the Newton Pens website or email him at shawn@newtonpens.com.

Thanks

That is a stunning pen, Tiffany. It's great to see that clip on a pen. The clip truly looks like it belongs with that ebonite!

Shawn is just different, IMHO, he's an artist first and foremost, and his pens just say "Shawn made this." Hard to explain. And he's fun and easy to work with.

I've two Newtons. Not sure when I'll get to posting about my 2nd one... perhaps December or the first of year. Love my Newtons.

His nib skills are very good, too.

Cheers,
    Julie

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jde For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (July 14th, 2015), Tracy Lee (October 2nd, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jde View Post
    That is a stunning pen, Tiffany. It's great to see that clip on a pen. The clip truly looks like it belongs with that ebonite!

Shawn is just different, IMHO, he's an artist first and foremost, and his pens just say "Shawn made this." Hard to explain. And he's fun and easy to work with.

I've two Newtons. Not sure when I'll get to posting about my 2nd one... perhaps December or the first of year. Love my Newtons.

His nib skills are very good, too.

Cheers,
    Julie
    Thanks. I'm not really a clip person, but it had to have that one.

You are right about him being an artist. At the show, we started brainstorming about a couple of projects I've been mulling for a while. The plans aren't finished yet, but it was a lot of fun tossing ideas back and forth. One of them is for my birthday next summer.

We are looking forward to hearing about your second Newton. Take your time. Your stories are always fun to read.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (October 5th, 2014)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

I somehow missed this thread the first time around.

This is a truly gorgeous pen! The material is a perfect match for that clip, which is just stunning. The hint of orange at the top of the cap looks purposefully placed. The custom needlepoint nib sounds impressive, too. And that box! Talk about artistry. What an impressive presentation.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations (however belatedly!).

18. The Following User Says Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

tiffanyhenschel (June 12th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    I somehow missed this thread the first time around.

This is a truly gorgeous pen! The material is a perfect match for that clip, which is just stunning. The hint of orange at the top of the cap looks purposefully placed. The custom needlepoint nib sounds impressive, too. And that box! Talk about artistry. What an impressive presentation.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations (however belatedly!).
    It has been in use nearly the whole time since I posted back in September. The needlepoint nib was moved to an Edison pen, and this Townsend suits the FC music nib beautifully and works especially well as an eyedropper filler this way. It is a semi permanent match.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

jde (June 13th, 2015)

Thanks

Absolutely gorgeous. I love the blue-green colors and the touch of orange. Is that an acrylic? It almost looks like it's ebonite. And the clip! Wow!
    Show me a shiny blue fountain pen and I will probably buy it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susan3141 View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous. I love the blue-green colors and the touch of orange. Is that an acrylic? It almost looks like it's ebonite. And the clip! Wow!
    It is ebonite. And thank you.

Thanks

This is a gorgeous pen, Tiffany. I couldn't agree more with everyone's comments. The ebonite material is out of this world; the pen clip really gives this instrument a special something. I have pen envy looking at these photos. =)
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klpeabody For This Useful Post:

Neo (June 15th, 2015), tiffanyhenschel (June 15th, 2015)

Thanks

Gorgeous pen and great pictures! Agreed on Shawn's nibs grinding skills. That clip goes so well with that pen!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

tiffanyhenschel (July 14th, 2015)

Thanks

Just ordered my second Newton - a Elizabethan. My first arrived July 31 of last year, a Townsend in a dark purple ripple ebonite. It has been inked almost continuously since arriving. (both are the small size which is bigger than many of my pens)

I'll have to take/post photos of the new one upon arrival. It is scheduled for delivery tomorrow (August 2).

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Runnin_Ute For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 1st, 2021), damfino (August 3rd, 2021), Lloyd (August 1st, 2021), Yazeh (August 1st, 2021)

Thanks

Townsend in dark purple ripple ebonite on the left, Elizabethan on the right.

Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin_Ute For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 23rd, 2022)

Thanks

Uncapped Elizabethan

Thanks

Newton Majestic 1.1 Bob Dupras Brown Tortoise

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin_Ute For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 23rd, 2022)