Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Default Re: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    During a recent episode (Mac+Fallout+Jack) of the new MacGyver series the folks at the Phoenix Foundation come up with a combination scanner, degausser and USB port hidden inside a fountain pen...However, for the contraption to work they have to spread the tines a lot.... (ouch!)
    I had a pair of these, one in bordeaux precious resin and the other in emerald-ray celluloid. They worked great with line variation and shading, until the FBI came by and seized them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 806 Posts

This one is not about fountain pens but rather about how a character's writing depicts his gradual emotional deterioration. From the 1933 anti war film The Eagle and the Hawk, Fredric March plays expert fighter pilot Jerry Young:

Eagle1.jpg

Early in the film the character uses a dip pen to write a note informing a fellow airman's wife that her husband has been killed. As you can see the cursive script flows smoothly across the page:

Eagle2.jpg

Towards the end of the film, Young writes an after action report and you can clearly see from his writing that the character has been under serious mental stress from watching so many of his comrades killed in action:

Eagle3.jpg
    Last edited by carlos.q; January 21st, 2019 at 05:55 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

gclv_pen$ (January 2nd, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,155 Posts

Macron and Merkel sign the Treaty of Aachen/Aix-la-Chapelle with Montblanc 149 Diplomats, probably.

Source.

Clearer, zoomable image here.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 31st, 2019), Blue Note (January 22nd, 2019), carlos.q (January 22nd, 2019)

Thanks

She’s German, they’ve gotta be MB149s.

Thanks

German pen with a French name, so doubly appropriate.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Blue Note (January 22nd, 2019), carlos.q (January 23rd, 2019)

Thanks

I have returned to fountain pen geeks after a long period of absence. There used to be a forum "Pens in the Movies" but I cant find it. I was watching a move Ike - Countdown to D-Day on TV yesterday. It stars Tom Selleck as General Eisenhower. At the very end of the movie Selleck is seen writing something and I am sure it is a Parker 51 black with silver top. I am trying to find the movie on Netflix to see if I can take a screen shop. Maybe someone has the DVD and can take a screen shot.
    “When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laurie For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 31st, 2019), Lady Onogaro (January 23rd, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    I have returned to fountain pen geeks after a long period of absence. There used to be a forum "Pens in the Movies" but I cant find it. I was watching a move Ike - Countdown to D-Day on TV yesterday. It stars Tom Selleck as General Eisenhower. At the very end of the movie Selleck is seen writing something and I am sure it is a Parker 51 black with silver top. I am trying to find the movie on Netflix to see if I can take a screen shop. Maybe someone has the DVD and can take a screen shot.
    Welcome back, Laurie!

Here's a thread on FPN with images of Tom Selleck as Ike using a Parker 51: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...wer-parker-51/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Good to hear from you, Laurie! What have you been up to besides spying out fountain pens in movies?
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Seems this thread hasnt been used for a long time. I watched a movie the other day on television. It was called "ike - Countdown to D-Day" It starred Tom Selleck as General Eisenhower. At the very end of the movie he picks up a pen and writes something on a piece of paper. I am sure it is a Parker 51. Seems the producers went to the trouble of using a pen that was in production at that time of history. Unfortunately I could do a screen shot and I looked to see if it was on Netflix but it wasnt. Maybe someone has a DVD and can post a screen shot of the scene
    “When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.

Thanks

Seems this thread hasnt been used for a long time.
    huh?

This thread is continually active, including several times this month and last.

Right above the poster's names are the dates of the post.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (January 27th, 2019)

Thanks

Seems this thread hasnt been used for a long time. I watched a movie the other day on television. It was called "ike - Countdown to D-Day" It starred Tom Selleck as General Eisenhower. At the very end of the movie he picks up a pen and writes something on a piece of paper. I am sure it is a Parker 51. Seems the producers went to the trouble of using a pen that was in production at that time of history. Unfortunately I could do a screen shot and I looked to see if it was on Netflix but it wasnt. Maybe someone has a DVD and can post a screen shot of the scene
    Is this it, Laurie?

Images from a thread on FPN: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...wer-parker-51/:

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (January 27th, 2019), gclv_pen$ (January 2nd, 2024), stub (January 27th, 2019)

Thanks

Unknown fountain pen (looks a bit like a Karas Decograph) in A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Carnivorous Carnival, part one.

Note continuity errors: the writer's grip changes, the pen goes from posted to unposted, the close-up writing is different.

Unfortunate1.png

Unfortunate2.png

Unfortunate3.png

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (January 27th, 2019), gclv_pen$ (January 2nd, 2024)

Thanks

Thanks Catbert. That is the one. It has to be a Parker 51. Very authentic for a 1944 scene

Thanks

Thanks Lady Onogaro. I went back to get a degree that assisted me in my employment and I got immersed in it. I realise now how much I missed this forum and the very helpful members who always find an answer. My last pen acquisition was a a Dupont. I am hosting a young Italian boy and his mother bought the pen. I was amazed as I think it costs about $275 AUD or maybe more. It is the cheapest of the range and has a steel nib but it writes very smoothly. Only problem is that the cap doesnt fit onto the back of the pen and it is not a very long pen. Sounds like a SBR. Brown review. "Hi there" I think my favourite pen is my Parker 51. I was very lucky in acquiring it. I was trolling through a website called Gumtree and saw it advertised. I couldnt tell from the photo what it was but I grabbed it for $30 and when delivered it turned out to be a 51 aerometric in good working condition and writes beautifully and I just love it. I am not a great movie watcher but it was a television midday movie and there was nothing else on. I usually dont concentrate that much but when I saw Tom Selleck pick up the pen at the end of the movie I was sure it was a Parker 51.

Thanks

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but I spotted a few MB while watching the new Suspiria movie. Here's a scene with a MB 221

23. The Following User Says Thank You to spiritstampede For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (January 28th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spiritstampede View Post
    Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but I spotted a few MB while watching the new Suspiria movie. Here's a scene with a MB 221

Welcome to FPGeeks and... good catch!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

gclv_pen$ (January 2nd, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

This pen is the clue, the evidence left at the crime scene, that finally corroborates who was the murderer, in Inspector Morse, Season 6, Episode 2 "Happy Families." The dialogue mentions it was an expensive pen, but on close examination of the image of this studio prop...I don't think so!

Last edited by FredRydr; February 2nd, 2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: typo

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (January 28th, 2019), gclv_pen$ (January 2nd, 2024), Scrawler (January 28th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    This pen is the clue, the evidence left at the crime scene, that finally corroborates who was the murderer, in Inspector Morse, Sesason 6, Episode 2 "Happy Families." The dialogue mentions it was an expensive pen, but on close examination of the image of this studio prop...I don't think so!
    I remember this episode, and also thought that the props dept. had negotiated the purchase of this "expensive" pen from one of eBay's sellers of nameless Shanghai products.

Thanks

Patrick Warburton as Lemony Snicket wields a distinctive fountain pen in the final episode of A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Lemony1.png

Lemony2.png

Lemony3.png

Lemony4.png

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

azkid (February 2nd, 2019), carlos.q (February 2nd, 2019), gclv_pen$ (January 2nd, 2024)

Thanks

So what movie has these elements?:

1. A sentient supercomputer bent on destruction of the human race
    2. A robot sent back in time from the future
    3. The phrase "I'll be back"

It's obviously "The Terminator" right?

Well in this case it isn't. It's the 1957 farcical sci-fi movie "The Invisible Boy" featuring no other than Robby the robot:

Robby1.jpg

If you look close there are various FP desk sets (and a bottle of ketchup) in the scene. In another shot there are what appear to be some Morriset desk sets:

Robby2.jpg