Page 31 of 48 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,155 Posts

Default Re: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

Another glimpse of the Montblanc in the final episode of Lupin season 2.

Lupin2.jpg

Lupin3.jpg

Lupin4.jpg

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (July 12th, 2021), gclv_pen$ (January 2nd, 2024), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 11th, 2021), Yazeh (July 12th, 2021)

Thanks

This 2017 interview (YouTube link) with Australian cartoonist and poet Michael Leunig features a Rotring ArtPen in EF.

Leunig1.jpg

Leunig2.jpg

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (July 12th, 2021), gclv_pen$ (January 2nd, 2024), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 12th, 2021), Yazeh (July 12th, 2021)

Thanks

A member of an arms dealer's entourage twirls a Parker 45 flighter in episode 2 of The Night Manager.

NightManager1.jpg

NightManager2.jpg

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (July 19th, 2021), gclv_pen$ (January 2nd, 2024), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 19th, 2021), Scrawler (July 19th, 2021), Yazeh (July 19th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Unidentified pen in The Road to Perdition used by Tom Hanks' character Michael Sullivan. Could be a Vacumatic.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Animator Norman McLaren uses a dip pen to draw directly on film in this NFB short.

McLaren1.jpg

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (July 20th, 2021), guyy (August 8th, 2021), Yazeh (July 20th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 806 Posts

History Channel's "The Machines That Built America" - episode: Power Tool Showdown. Raymond DeWalt uses a Jinhao X450 to sign a contract in 1949.

jinhao450.png

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

catbert (August 16th, 2021), Scrawler (August 16th, 2021), Yazeh (August 16th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

[QUOTE=carlos.q;333299]History Channel's "The Machines That Built America" - episode: Power Tool Showdown. Raymond DeWalt uses a Jinhao X450 to sign a contract in 1949.

<snip>

/QUOTE]

This is particularly egregious because they are the History Channel and it makes their research look shoddy and unreliable. I am tempted to start a letter writing campaign to tell them off.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (August 16th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,253 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    History Channel's "The Machines That Built America" - episode: Power Tool Showdown. Raymond DeWalt uses a Jinhao X450 to sign a contract in 1949.

This is particularly egregious because they are the History Channel and it makes their research look shoddy and unreliable. I am tempted to start a letter writing campaign to tell them off.
    Hear! Hear!

Thanks

[QUOTE=Scrawler;333300]

<snip>

/QUOTE]

History is one of my passions. I have seen some shoddy work and mistakes in some of their productions, especially those with reenactments. -- Costuming especially. In one recent show re-enactment, a WWI British Army staff officer was dressed in a WWII vintage American Army uniform topped off with a Sam Browne belt worn incorrectly.
    Last edited by An old bloke; August 16th, 2021 at 02:44 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (August 22nd, 2021)

Thanks

[QUOTE=An old bloke;333305]

<snip>

/QUOTE]

History is one of my passions. I have seen some shoddy work and mistakes in dome of their productions, especially those with reenactments. -- Costuming especially. In one recent show re-enactment, a WWI British Army staff officer was dressed in a WWII vintage American Army uniform topped off with a Sam Browne belt worn incorrectly.
    that's just plain nasty..............
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

18. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (August 22nd, 2021)

Thanks

I catch them quite often using language and modern terminology that did not exist in the time period they are portraying.

Thanks

[QUOTE=An old bloke;333305]

<snip>

/QUOTE]

History is one of my passions. I have seen some shoddy work and mistakes in some of their productions, especially those with reenactments. -- Costuming especially. In one recent show re-enactment, a WWI British Army staff officer was dressed in a WWII vintage American Army uniform topped off with a Sam Browne belt worn incorrectly.
    When i trained as a historian, we never discussed military uniforms. Wars, sure. Uniforms, never.

It would have been possible to write a paper or thesis or even a book on the topic, but to get the green light, it would have to be more than a chronicle of uniforms.

Thanks

[QUOTE=guyy;333342]
    Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post

<snip>

/QUOTE]

When i trained as a historian, we never discussed military uniforms. Wars, sure. Uniforms, never.

It would have been possible to write a paper or thesis or even a book on the topic, but to get the green light, it would have to be more than a chronicle of uniforms.
    I suspect you weren't studying military history specifically?

Speaking to practical application of most anything, there is a saying that form follows function. Military uniforms serve functions far beyond clothing a soldier, aviator, or sailor. The tactics used also influence uniforms. In some very real ways, tactics drive the design of uniforms. Why are pockets placed where they are is answered by what one carries in them, what else needs to be carried and where, and even what one does and how one fights. Uniforms evolve as how wars are fought evolves. For instance, British Empire officers' uniforms differed from the other ranks uniforms so that they were easily recognisable (to each other and their soldiers) in those days when battlefield communication primarily depended upon handwritten messages and runners. British Empire soldiers' tunics had a pocket on the inside of the bottom for an easily reachable battle dressing. Current American Army combat uniforms have pockets that are easily reachable while seated in an armoured vehicle as well as having a pen pocket on the left sleeve just above the cuff since chest pockets are covered by body armour, and soldiers have an individual first aid kit carried on their body armour or webbing.
    Last edited by An old bloke; August 16th, 2021 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks

History, military or otherwise, begins with analysis. Until then it’s just minutiae. I would tell students who wanted to write about fashion or Zero fighters or whatever that they would have to make me care about those things by relating them to social and political processes and developments. That can be done — and with military uniforms, too of course — but without that connection, it’s not history.

And uniforms are not the least of it! Movies get more basic things like language and social structure wrong. Often the more outlandishly stylized films hit on more historical truth than the more conventional presentations. For example, Blazing Saddles was more true to history despite flouting realism than a thousand other westerns.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    History, military or otherwise, begins with analysis. Until then it’s just minutiae. I would tell students who wanted to write about fashion or Zero fighters or whatever that they would have to make me care about those things by relating them to social and political processes and developments. That can be done — and with military uniforms, too of course — but without that connection, it’s not history.

And uniforms are not the least of it! Movies get more basic things like language and social structure wrong. Often the more outlandishly stylized films hit on more historical truth than the more conventional presentations. For example, Blazing Saddles was more true to history despite flouting realism than a thousand other westerns.
    All true.

Thanks

A significant movie-adjacent moment: Bob Iger, then CEO of Disney, signing the agreement to acquire Lucasfilm in 2012. Iger appears to be using a silver piston-filler while George Lucas has a Montblanc ballpoint or rollerball. Make of that what you will.

Iger-Lucas.jpg

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (August 21st, 2021), gclv_pen$ (January 2nd, 2024), Scrawler (August 22nd, 2021), Yazeh (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks

A Cross Peerless containing a secret is a not-quite McGuffin in Hotel Artemis.

Artemis1.jpg

Artemis2.jpg

Artemis3.jpg

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (August 30th, 2021), gclv_pen$ (January 2nd, 2024), Yazeh (August 30th, 2021)

Thanks

Hi! I was watching the guernsey literary and potato peel pie society (2018) and I was wondering if anyone knows the fountain pen that the main character Juliet was used in the movie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aria View Post
    Hi! I was watching the guernsey literary and potato peel pie society (2018) and I was wondering if anyone knows the fountain pen that the main character Juliet was used in the movie
    This post may help. Sadly there's no screenshot.

PS Welcome to FPG!
    Last edited by catbert; September 3rd, 2021 at 08:37 AM.

Thanks

Thank you so much!!