Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

Thanks

Default Re: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

The Peter Jackson documentary of the Beatles last public concert, "Get Back", shows Mal Evans, their road manager writing down their lyrics as they work through songs. He then writes their corrected lyrics on typed-up lyric sheets.

He is writing with a Sheaffer fountain-pen with an inlaid nib.

Does anyone recognize the pen? My guess: some variety of Imperial, since this is January, 1969. Looks too thin to be a PFM, and has a thick gold-colored band on the cap.

(Example of what Evans is doing, in this case from Sgt Pepper, which could have been yours for a mere $1.2 million: https://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions...46/lot.46.html )
    Last edited by welch; December 8th, 2021 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

I saw some screencaps but couldn't get enough visual info to zero in on the Sheaffer. I saw some other shots of John, I believe, working on lyrics with a Lamy 2K?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,351 Times in 357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sharmon202 View Post
    I saw Radar use a fountain pen this week on M*A*S*H and a set on a desk in Different Strokes.
    Hi. I've noticed Henry Blake using an Esterbrook 'dipless' desk pen/ reservoir. Also, saw Hawkeye using a 'click top' ballpoint in one of his 'letters to home' eps. It looked a lot like a Papermate , but I'm not sure the model ( or make !) was around then ?
    There are a few FP shots on this show, but often it's a fleeting shot and it's hard to pause / rewind a tv show 🤣....

Thanks
    Thanked 4,821 Times in 1,159 Posts

Unidentified fountain pen in the trailer for Nightmare Alley.

Nightmare.jpg

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (December 18th, 2021), Yazeh (December 27th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 809 Posts

I just finished binge watching the series "For All Mankind" on AppleTV. The series is based on the premise that the Soviet Union got to the moon before the United States, thus changing history and creating an alternate timeline. Considering the time period there are a lot of ballpoints.

However, there is one scene in Season 2, Episode 4 (which takes place in 1983) where the character of "Margo Madison" uses a Lamy 2000:

L2ka.jpg
    L2kb.jpg
    L2kc.jpg

Evidently the pen is period appropriate. On the other hand Madison's character is initially presented as Wernher Von Braun's protégé, so using a German piston filler... just seems to fit.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 27th, 2021), gclv_pen$ (January 2nd, 2024), welch (December 30th, 2021), Yazeh (December 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    I just finished binge watching the series "For All Mankind" on AppleTV. The series is based on the premise that the Soviet Union got to the moon before the United States, thus changing history and creating an alternate timeline. Considering the time period there are a lot of ballpoints.

However, there is one scene in Season 2, Episode 4 (which takes place in 1983) where the character of "Margo Madison" uses a Lamy 2000:

L2ka.jpg
    L2kb.jpg
    L2kc.jpg

Evidently the pen is period appropriate. On the other hand Madison's character is initially presented as Wernher Von Braun's protégé, so using a German piston filler... just seems to fit.

Carlos,

A digression if I may. I'm a student of body language and interpersonal dynamics amongst other things. As I look at these three pictures, the top two especially, I find myself wondering about how these two characters are portrayed. With that,I have to ask what is the nature of the General's relationships with Margo?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Carlos,

A digression if I may. I'm a student of body language and interpersonal dynamics amongst other things. As I look at these three pictures, the top two especially, I find myself wondering about how these two characters are portrayed. With that,I have to ask what is the nature of the General's relationships with Margo?
    They do not see eye to eye. The General represents the Department of Defense in NASA and is interested in the militarization of space, in particular a moon base named "Jamestown". Margo portrays the civilian Director of the Johnson Space Center and is opposed to the General's agenda.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

welch (December 30th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 632 Posts

Watching Holiday Inn (1942) with Bing Crosby, Fed Astaire, and Marjorie Reynolds, I noticed Crosby's fountain pen as he worked on scores and wrote a letter, a classy upmarket model with a bifurcated pocket clip that whispered Waterman.

Anyone have a positive ID?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Carlos,

They do not see eye to eye. The General represents the Department of Defense in NASA and is interested in the militarization of space, in particular a moon base named "Jamestown". Margo portrays the civilian Director of the Johnson Space Center and is opposed to the General's agenda.
    I would say their body language says not seeing things eye to eye is a gross understatement.

Thanks.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (December 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Illustrator Quentin Blake using dip pens and watercolours in Quentin Blake: The Drawing of My Life.

Blake1.jpg

Blake2.jpg

Blake3.jpg

Blake4.jpg

Blake5.jpg

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (January 1st, 2022), Yazeh (January 1st, 2022)

Thanks

Transporter 3, the 2008 action flick with Jason Statham. Towards the end of the movie an Ukranian minister played by Jeroen Krabbé uses a Pilot Vanishing Point to sign some documents:

vanishing1.jpg
    vanishing2.jpg
    Last edited by carlos.q; January 2nd, 2022 at 02:33 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

catbert (January 2nd, 2022), gclv_pen$ (January 2nd, 2024), Scrawler (January 2nd, 2022)

Thanks

I've posted a bit in a thread by the same title on the FPN site and I thought it would be nice to have a similar thread here. The difference is that, besides saying "I saw X pen on this TV show or movie" (which you can still do) maybe we can spice things up a bit by adding a picture of your find. Doesn't have to be anything fancy really: I just take pictures right off the TV set with my iPhone.

So without further ado, I'd like to start off with ABC's new TV show "Forever". In this week's episode the good (and immortal) doctor writes up his notes with a FP. Can you identify it, because I can't.

Attachment 14069

Another view:

Attachment 14070
    I wondered the same. 🤔

Thanks
    Thanked 6,431 Times in 2,521 Posts

If you checked into the White Feather for a meeting of Nazi sympathisers, you might have signed the hotel register with this...before Detective Chief Inspector Foyle dropped by for a chat. (Series 1, Episode 2)

IMG_4343.jpg

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (January 8th, 2022), gclv_pen$ (January 2nd, 2024), welch (January 7th, 2022), Yazeh (January 7th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,297 Times in 2,270 Posts

Power of the Dog /Jane Campion - Netflix - Beautifully shot - amazing scenery - unnerving tension
    The main character (Benedict Cumberbatch), an uncouth cowboy writes a letter....

Story Happens in 1915 - Montana US, shot in New Zealand...

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 10.11.40 PM.jpg

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (January 8th, 2022), catbert (January 8th, 2022), gclv_pen$ (January 2nd, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 632 Posts

Some of locations in Central Otago, South Island, also were used in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy (e.g. the attack of the orcs riding on wargs). The high-elevation tussock grassland and lack of forest on the mountains is characteristic of the area.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 8th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,431 Times in 2,521 Posts

What is the technique for capturing screen shots of streamed movies? Screen shots are blocked when I try, so I end up taking a photo of the screen.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    What is the technique for capturing screen shots of streamed movies? Screen shots are blocked when I try, so I end up taking a photo of the screen.
    I can pause a movie, take a screen shot and place the image in a picture editor to remove all the background stuff. I use Linux, so I wonder if this restriction is an OS based one. Which OS are you using?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Power of the Dog /Jane Campion - Netflix - Beautifully shot - amazing scenery - unnerving tension
    The main character (Benedict Cumberbatch), an uncouth cowboy writes a letter....

Story Happens in 1915 - Montana US, shot in New Zealand...

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 10.11.40 PM.jpg
    Some details about the pens in that movie on Instagram.

"peytonstreetpens Check out the Waterman 52 we provided to the makers of the Netflix movie Power of the Dog. You'll see our pen in action being used by Benedict Cumberbatch at the 30 minute mark. We lent them other pens, but the footage -- not the pens -- ended up on the cutting room floor. We sent 3 pens, one for usage, one in case of an emergency, and one so that the actor could keep one if he liked."

28. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 8th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Netflix blocks screen capture. If you're on Mac, you can only use chrome. Windows, I don't know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert;350357[/QUOTE

Some details about the pens in that movie on Instagram.

"peytonstreetpens Check out the Waterman 52 we provided to the makers of the Netflix movie Power of the Dog. You'll see our pen in action being used by Benedict Cumberbatch at the 30 minute mark. We lent them other pens, but the footage -- not the pens -- ended up on the cutting room floor. We sent 3 pens, one for usage, one in case of an emergency, and one so that the actor could keep one if he liked."
    Thanks so much for posting it. I hope Benedict Cumberbatch enjoyed his pen...