Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041
Results 801 to 809 of 809

Thread: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

  1. #801
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,755
    Thanks
    5,734
    Thanked 8,920 Times in 3,483 Posts
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

    Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    A reed pen in Catherine Called Birdy, set in late 13th century England.
    What a shame she didn't learn how to hold a pen. That sort of hold always grates for me personally whenever I see it.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    catbert (January 25th, 2023)

  3. #802
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,435
    Thanks
    2,938
    Thanked 2,903 Times in 866 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    A reed pen in Catherine Called Birdy, set in late 13th century England.
    What a shame she didn't learn how to hold a pen. That sort of hold always grates for me personally whenever I see it.
    Indeed. What's the point of an opposable thumb if it isn't helping to control the pen? On the other hand, I suppose it makes the case for arm writing.

  4. #803
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,755
    Thanks
    5,734
    Thanked 8,920 Times in 3,483 Posts
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

    Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    A reed pen in Catherine Called Birdy, set in late 13th century England.
    What a shame she didn't learn how to hold a pen. That sort of hold always grates for me personally whenever I see it.
    Indeed. What's the point of an opposable thumb if it isn't helping to control the pen? On the other hand, I suppose it makes the case for arm writing.
    It's probably difficult to believe but I've seen even worse pen holds. Perhaps their opposable thumbs are worn out from texting? LOL
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    carlos.q (January 25th, 2023), catbert (January 25th, 2023), Deb (January 25th, 2023), Yazeh (January 25th, 2023)

  6. #804
    Senior Member Deb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Highlands of Scotland
    Posts
    1,677
    Thanks
    1,444
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 793 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

    I see bad pen grips so often now often in films and series but I must forgive Bella Ramsey as she's such a good actor and Catherine Called Birdy is a really good film.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog
    My Pen Sales

  7. #805
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    4,667
    Thanks
    1,261
    Thanked 5,703 Times in 2,333 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    A reed pen in Catherine Called Birdy, set in late 13th century England.
    What a shame she didn't learn how to hold a pen. That sort of hold always grates for me personally whenever I see it.
    Didn't you know? That method was de rigueur in the late 13th century!

  8. #806
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,435
    Thanks
    2,938
    Thanked 2,903 Times in 866 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    A reed pen in Catherine Called Birdy, set in late 13th century England.
    What a shame she didn't learn how to hold a pen. That sort of hold always grates for me personally whenever I see it.
    Indeed. What's the point of an opposable thumb if it isn't helping to control the pen? On the other hand, I suppose it makes the case for arm writing.
    It's probably difficult to believe but I've seen even worse pen holds. Perhaps their opposable thumbs are worn out from texting? LOL
    Plenty of unconventional grips in this thread. Here's one in The Souvenir that stood out recently.

    Souvenir2-2.jpg

    And this (not a fountain pen, I know) in Altered Carbon 2 looks especially tortured.

    AlteredCarbon2-1.jpg

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

    carlos.q (January 25th, 2023), Chrissy (January 26th, 2023), Yazeh (January 25th, 2023)

  10. #807
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    4,667
    Thanks
    1,261
    Thanked 5,703 Times in 2,333 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

    Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    ...Plenty of unconventional grips in this thread. Here's one in The Souvenir that stood out recently.
    Ouch! And ouch!

  11. #808
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

    I wonder if there is a connection between the demise of handwriting and the failure to teach more ergonomic grips at an early age.

  12. #809
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,435
    Thanks
    2,938
    Thanked 2,903 Times in 866 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

    In the second season of Altered Carbon, an AI takes notes with a fountain pen to preserve a deteriorating memory.

    AlteredCarbon2-2.jpg

    AlteredCarbon2-3.jpg

    AlteredCarbon2-4.jpg

    A Pineider-like section?

    AlteredCarbon2-5.jpg

    Another AI uses a quill or more likely, given the absence of an inkwell, a feather-ended ballpoint.

    AlteredCarbon2-6.jpg

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

    carlos.q (January 26th, 2023), Chrissy (January 26th, 2023), Yazeh (January 25th, 2023)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •