Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

Thanks
    Thanked 2,296 Times in 992 Posts

Default Re: Fountain Pens in Movies and TV

Okay, it's just a dip pen, but I didn't think MOP holders with gold nibs were yet available in 1832. I must dig into some of Marshall's books on early writing instruments to find out.

Here is Anne Lister's tenant signing the marriage register in the church vestry in the last minutes of Season 1, Episode 8 of Gentleman Jack. (These streaming services block screen shots, so I use my smartphone camera to photograph the screen!)

IMG_2139.jpg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 12th, 2019), carlos.q (June 12th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Okay, it's just a dip pen, but I didn't think MOP holders with gold nibs were yet available in 1832. I must dig into some of Marshall's books on early writing instruments to find out.
    Curious to see what you find out.

Per Wikipedia, steel pens would have been available from Joseph Gillot's or Sir Josiah Mason (both est 1827).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,296 Times in 992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Curious to see what you find out....
    Jim Marshall writes in Collectible Dip Pens, (2003) p. 9, that the earliest gold nib pen he is aware of was "a very rare and early Hawkins nib from about 1840," and there is a photo illustration though no reference to the source of the date. In Collecting Old Writing Equipment, (2014) p. 51, Marshall writes "By the end of the [18th] century, precious metal nibs were being made in England by makers Taylor, Willmore, Pemberton and Jago" with reference to a photo of a silver nib by Willmore. On p. 52, he writes about the problem of gold wearing too quickly until 1836 when practical tipped nibs with rhodium, rubies or "iridium" were available. So, I'd say the 1832 ecclesiastical gold nib passes muster, though it might not have lasted very long! I wonder if those MOP (faux?) holders were available then.

If anyone is weary of looking at the tens of thousands of reservoir fountain pens at pen shows, online or your own desk, I recommend Jim Marshall's 292-page book Collecting Old Writing Equipment, which covers far more than just fountain pens. It's a quick history lesson, too, from cuneiform tablets to quill-cutting machines, and replete with many color illustrations.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 12th, 2019), carlos.q (June 12th, 2019), Deb (June 12th, 2019)

Thanks

Das Boot (The Boat) is a 1981 German film depicting the claustrophobic conditions aboard a WWII submarine. During the movie a young sailor uses a FP to write letters to his pregnant French girlfriend, not knowing if she will ever receive them.

DasBoot1.jpg

DasBoot2.jpg

Great film about the horrors of war which I recommend highly (the film not the horrors ).
    Last edited by carlos.q; June 13th, 2019 at 02:32 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

catbert (June 13th, 2019), FredRydr (June 13th, 2019), Kaputnik (June 14th, 2019)