Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of Your Pen Storage

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I found a case that looks similar. Doubt it would be the same quality but for pen storage, it should not be bad. For $80 USD it is also not a bad price. A Harbor Freight is being built close to my workplace so I should be able to see it in person soon.

http://www.harborfreight.com/eight-d...est-94538.html

Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Yep, the Harbor Freight cases are modeled after the Gerstners and offer pretty good value for the money. They are a bit more cheaply constructed and the drawer bottoms are a bit thin and flimsy. Just make sure you get a good look at the exact one you're taking home as their quality control can vary quite a bit from unit to unit. I do like the integral drawer dividers though.

Thanks

Default My Pen Storage

I use a variety of storage for my pens and inks, this is a sample of three them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FLJeepGuy View Post
    Thanks guys! I've been collecting since the early '90s and finally got to the point I couldn't stand everything being spread out in miscellaneous small boxes and piled on my desk and dresser. I shopped for quite a while and splurged a bit, but couldn't be happier. I originally wanted a vintage Gerstner case, but they were way out of my price range as were the new Gerstner USA cases. I finally settled on the Gerstner International case and base above. Their International line is still designed by Gerstner but mass produced overseas rather than handmade here, and thus a good bit less expensive.

The cases above are a Gerstner International GI-532 Large Case and B532 Base that I found from an online retailer for quite a bit below list price. I then purchased several 12"x16" Slotted Display Tray Liners from GoPens.com which I cut to 6" depths to fit the drawers. I simply laid the trays in the drawers without gluing them so I can reconfigure the drawers over time and find that the felt bottoms of the drawers keep the trays from sliding even during travel.

So far this solution has worked out perfectly. The top area is deep enough for all but the tallest ink bottles and keeps my inks safely away from the sunlight in the room. The two deep drawers at the top corners of the case are perfect for ear bulbs, syringes, and all my miscellaneous repair supplies and small tools. The ability to close the case up and lock it makes it easy to take to our local pen meet-ups. I no longer have to pick and choose what items I want to take.
    Congrats,

The Gerstner was one of my first pen cases i thought about buying, and after alot of looking, i backtracked back to the drawerd chest shown above, which ill be doing a review of soon enough. I also wanted a vintage box from Gerstner, but fearing the cleaning and the potential for a money pit, i looks elsewhere.

Thanks

Excellent ideas for pen storage.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I found a case that looks similar. Doubt it would be the same quality but for pen storage, it should not be bad. For $80 USD it is also not a bad price. A Harbor Freight is being built close to my workplace so I should be able to see it in person soon.

I just can't stop thinking of Transformers and pool tables when I see this.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Nice, Jeepguy! I have a slew of old cigar boxes that seemed too nice to throw away, but I couldn't think of anything I could do with them. I will order some of those slotted display trays and fit them into my old cigar boxes. I like the idea of using a machinist tool chest, because as you noted, you have space to store everything in one place. I have seen those tool chests at Harbor Freight Tools, who are usually the least of anywhere for such things.

This one is only $80.

I might buy one myself.

Thanks

Doh! I just scrolled back up t the top of this thread and noticed Krazyivan had already posted the same link. Pardon my redundancy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Okami View Post

My 7 drawer cabinet from Geoff Morris, I also have a two drawer cabinet. I love these!! You can read my blog post here: http://okami-whatever.blogspot.com/2...ordinaire.html
    I remember reading this post a while ago and thinking that I'd never need that kind of storage. Not there yet, but my wife says I really need something to put my pens in. 😉 Someday I'll get there

Thanks

Nice conversions. I make custom boxes and do pen conversions from anything I can get my hands on from cigar boxes to old jewlery chests. I do the interriors with felts, leather or flocking. I was hand making my pen separators until I finally broke down and had my own line of flocked trays made...which I sell by they way if anyone is interested. You can see some of my projects and sale items at www.PendoraPens.com

Anyone who is converting their own box and wants a trimmable tray insert thats 8 x21 x .25 (will yield 2-3 drawers or cigar boxes) let me know. email: pendora@usa.com

Michelle
    www.PendoraPens.com

Thanks

Nice work. I used to buy alot of Garys pen inserts but since they were too narrow for alot of my pens I went into production mode and had my own made to accommodate 3/4 inch pens. Unfortunately with any production run you have to buy things in the 1000's..... so if you want one of those drawers for larger pens let me know.

Again...nice work.
    Michelle
    www.PendoraPens.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Awesome new box Ivan! If only I had enough pens to fill even one drawer!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Awesome new box Ivan! If only I had enough pens to fill even one drawer!
    I did not get the box. I have not had a chance to see if they finished building that location to see the box in person.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I did not get the box. I have not had a chance to see if they finished building that location to see the box in person.
    oh. Sorry for misreading. Let us know if you get it!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

I did stop in my local store and saw one on display. The display unit had been abused, or it damages easily. Heavily scratched on one side and dinged all over. The drawers didn't seem to fit well, not smooth to open/close. The picture is much better than the reality I saw. Someone suggested seeing the actual one you get since quality varies. I was curious, not looking to buy, so didn't ask to see other stock. It was only $80 so if I was interested I would have asked to see the stock and might get it if I didn't plan to travel with it.

Thanks

Gary has nice trays. they are the similar to the ones I sell except mine are specific to larger pens where his are for more slim and regular pens. Ive used many of his trays in the past on my projects.

Thanks

Jeebus! you people are serious!

Thanks

Well, i'll share mine, then--since it's certainly NOT what anyone would call Serious. (i personally call it a Working Man's pen cabinet.)

1hrzub.jpg

70jjae.jpg

Pardon the cruddy point-n-shoot photos.

(And yes: i know i have 2 copies of Jailbird, for some reason.)
    Last edited by inBOIL; February 6th, 2013 at 02:23 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to inBOIL For This Useful Post:

MechanicalAnalogy (January 3rd, 2014)

Thanks

Now that is pretty cool and makes good use of what could potentially end up in a land fill. Maybe just some paint to cover up the advertising.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

I love those! Don't cover up the ad that's what makes them cool.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum