Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: J. Hebrin Stormy Grey (1670 Ink Collection) Rolling Review add yours

Thanks

Default Re: J. Hebrin Stormy Grey (1670 Ink Collection) Rolling Review add yours

Well after weeks of waiting and nervous anticipation it finally arrived today! And I must say I think perhaps I got a bit too excited because now having tried it I feel a little let down, don't get me wrong it's nice but that's just it, it's "nice" From what I've seen and read I was kind of expecting "great" or "Wow" but no it's nice...Oh well If nothing else I love the bottle!
    We look forward to the time when the power of love will replace the love of power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Default Re: J. Hebrin Stormy Grey (1670 Ink Collection) Rolling Review add yours

Quote Originally Posted by chojo View Post
    From what I've seen and read I was kind of expecting "great" or "Wow" but no it's nice...
    You need more time, different paper, a wet pen, oblique lighting. It's more than nice, IMHO, though the base color is, well, gray. I view this as its chief limitation.

Anyway, I cleaned this out of my MB149 today, and I was stunned at how easy it was to do so. I think this ink is the easiest ink to clean that I have ever used. I don't think MB Royal Blue or Waterman Blue are even as easy.
    --
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Thank you everyone for the amazing pictures and great information!
    Does anyone know where to find this ink? It seems to be sold out everywhere...
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

This is a gorgeous looking ink in those wide nibs! Gray is one of my favorite... well, it's hard to call it a color, but it is.

Thanks

I don't usually like grey ink, but Stormy Grey is the exception. (I lucked out at JetPens.) I have to flip the bottle over and whack it even harder than I do Rouge Hematite, but the risk is worth the reward.

I had it in a Jinhao 450 with a #6 Goulet italic nib. Then I loaded it into a Kaweco Ice Sport with a double broad nib, and it seems to behave even better there. But that could very well be me.

And yes, the paper makes a world of difference. It's lovely on Baron Fig, which surprised me a little. It's just gray on Moleskine, which didn't.

Thanks

I've got the Stormy Grey finally, tried it with the dip pen. I found it looks like the ink which I mixed before (Iroshizuku Kiri Same mix with the gold dust). The ink color and the gold dust color which are the same, even the size of the gold dust. I check two inks with the magnifier...no difference between them.

Thanks

Gold sheen would look really good with a nice blue. I'm gonna try mixing some of the flecks with a sample of Waterman Florida Blue. Unfortunately, I can't do this till the 20th. I'll get back to y'all with the results. (:

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Gold sheen would look really good with a nice blue. I'm gonna try mixing some of the flecks with a sample of Waterman Florida Blue. Unfortunately, I can't do this till the 20th. I'll get back to y'all with the results. (:
    I made a lovely shiny blue mix with Herbin Stormy Grey and Ocean Blue. I used a ~3:1 ratio of blue:grey. The gold came through quite well, although it's not as sparkly as Stormy Grey on its own, and it's not quite as blue as Ocean Blue on its own--the mix is more of a midnight blue, leaning toward blue-black. But still very nice.

Let us know how mixing with Waterman Florida Blue goes.

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    So far I've had Stormy Grey in a Pilot Custom 74 demonstrator with a 0.8mm Binder stub nib and a Lamy Studio with a factory 1.1mm italic nib. Both pens have been inked since Saturday. I've not had any issues with flow. The Pilot puts down a very wet line and makes the ink looks nearly black; the Lamy is slightly drier and shows better shading and a nice range of grey tones. The gold particles settle out very quickly, but agitating the pen gets them suspended again. I am still getting a lot of sheen and sparkle, but I do have to shake the pen first.

Up next is my Lamy 2000 with an XF nib. It's almost out of ink and, as soon as it's empty, it will get flushed and filled with Stormy Grey. I'm interested to see how this ink looks in a finer nib.

Thought I would report back on my experiences with this ink over the past few months:

1. I kept Stormy Grey in my Pilot Custom 74 demonstrator for several weeks. Toward the end of the fill, I used it pretty sporadically. It never clogged up or hard started at all. When I finally got around to flushing the pen, it came clean very quickly. I'm really impressed by how well this ink cleans up. There was some sparkly residue on the feed but it did come off when I put the nib and feed under running water to flush it. I didn't need to scrub the feed or use any sort of pen flush or cleaning agent. Just plain running water.

2. The piston seal on my XF-nibbed Lamy 2000 failed a few months ago so it never got filled with Stormy Grey. But my broad-nibbed 2000 did. Again, no issues with clogging and it flushed clean quickly. Personally, I'd feel comfortable putting this ink in pretty much any pen. I do like using a demonstrator though because you can see how the gold settles out and you can shake the pen until it's redistributed evenly. That was my only complaint with using a pen like the 2000--I couldn't tell whether or not (or how much) the gold had settled out.

Thanks

I've found that the gold stuff in Stormy Grey is different with the Rouge Hematite, the gold dust in Rouge Hematite is finer than the one in Stormy Grey. So have to always to shake the pen before to write if fill it with the Stormy Grey, then the gold stuff will spread evenly.

Thanks

Too bad there is no source for the glitter dust on its own, I can imagine what fun one could have with that and an ink collection......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Well finally I have taken the plunge and ordered a bottle.

From what I have read I am rather looking forward to it.

Cob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post
    Well finally I have taken the plunge and ordered a bottle.

From what I have read I am rather looking forward to it.

Cob
    No surprise at all

14. The Following User Says Thank You to john For This Useful Post:

Cob (January 8th, 2015)

Thanks

I have written up a review on put it on my blog. Check it out http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/2015/0...ey-review.html

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FPInkGeek For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (January 11th, 2015), Vallos (January 18th, 2015)

Thanks

I am not going to write a review, others are far better at this sort of thing than I, but for what it's worth, I think that this ink is absolutely GLORIOUS. I cannot leave it alone.

Not only is it lovely to look at on the page, the whole idea is so clever.

Full marks to Société Herbin for this wonderful product.

Cob

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Neo (January 17th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

For more sheen, it's been suggested to me to concentrate the ink by removing fluid after the bottle has settled overnight. I'm going to try this with a sample to see what I get.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    For more sheen, it's been suggested to me to concentrate the ink by removing fluid after the bottle has settled overnight. I'm going to try this with a sample to see what I get.
    I have been using the ink in a Swan 1060; seeing the gold at the bottom of the bottle, I "cocked" the pen ready to fill, gave the bottle a good shake and filled. I have plenty of sheen - whether I can reproduce it here is another matter: there's either my photography (ha ha) or the scanner which may not show it. I'll have a go later if I have time.

Anyway, any inconvenience is easily endured for such a marvellous ink.

Cob

Thanks

Isn't a Swan a sac filler,??
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbreeze View Post
    Isn't a Swan a sac filler,??
    Yes - leverless -so "cocking" means having the sac fully compressed and ready to go!

Cob

Thanks

You are braver then I Cob
    I wouldn't use.1670 inks in a sac
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North