Thread: J. Hebrin Stormy Grey (1670 Ink Collection) Rolling Review add yours

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,594 Times in 1,021 Posts

Default Re: J. Hebrin Stormy Grey (1670 Ink Collection) Rolling Review add yours

Great photos, Tandaina. They make me wish I had a demonstrator for the ink.

I like the ink very much. However, I think I might have been too stoked by all the close-up photographs I've seen. In real life, it's not quite as exciting once it dries. When it's wet, it's very gold, but for me it dries to a dark gray. I love the gold flecks -- they almost stand off the surface, rather than sinking into the paper -- but you don't necessarily see that unless you look very closely. I'm using mine in an inexpensive Pilot 78G with a broad nib, until I can be sure it's safe for other pens.

Great things so far about the ink: no start-up problems; nicely lubricated with this broad nib; ink flows well; ink dries quickly on the page; fun gold-to-gray effect; pretty gold flakes; flakes don't brush off with your finger. I let the pen sit overnight, and it started up perfectly. I think you get more gold flakes if you shake the pen before writing, but to test it I didn't shake the pen in the morning, and I still had gold flakes.

I think calligraphers are going to love this. I bet it would look amazing when used to address formal invitations, and for place cards and the like.

I think I may marginally prefer the original 1670 red-gold, after all, but this one seems more useable so far.

Thanks

Default Re: J. Hebrin Stormy Grey (1670 Ink Collection) Rolling Review add yours

Laura,

What paper are you using it on? The reason I ask is, I am getting some really crazy sheen on Rhodia and even on Staples ARC paper. (For that matter, I am getting sparklies even on the $1/100 index cards I use for quick lists!) Did you shake the bottle before loading the pen?

I don't mean to subject you to an inquisition, just surprised that your experience is so very different than mine.
    "Expect a most agreeable letter, for not being overburdened with subject (having nothing at all to say), I shall have no check to my genius from beginning to end." --Jane Austen

My blog: Does This Pen Make Me Look Fat? Twitter: @penfatness

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SheilaM View Post
    Laura,

What paper are you using it on? The reason I ask is, I am getting some really crazy sheen on Rhodia and even on Staples ARC paper. (For that matter, I am getting sparklies even on the $1/100 index cards I use for quick lists!) Did you shake the bottle before loading the pen?

I don't mean to subject you to an inquisition, just surprised that your experience is so very different than mine.
    No worries at all. I actually do get the gold flecks, and I like them very much. I just don't notice them particularly unless I peer very closely. If I look at what I've written on a sheet of paper from a normal distance, and I read it as I would a normal letter or piece of writing, it looks like an interesting dark gray ink to me. It has the slight greenish tint, I assume from the gold, that I get from the original red 1670.

If I hold up the paper to the light, or I move it to catch the light, and I'm looking close-up, then I really see the gold flecks inside the gray. And that replicates all of the macro photos I've seen.

I have used it only on Rhodia and Clairefontaine paper so far. I shook the bottle thoroughly before filling. I shake the pen before writing, except one time when I didn't shake the pen just to see what would happen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SheilaM View Post
    Laura,

Sheila, this might explain it. Tonight I put it into an Edison with has a juicy medium nib, and in this pen I am getting much more sheen. Even noticeable from normal distances.

Perhaps this ink really shows itself to best advantage when used with a wetter nib?

Thanks

That would make sense. The TWSBI/Pendleton Point setup I'm using it in right now is pretty wet. And I'm getting sheen that looks like the photo ChrisC posted, even from an arm's length away.
    "Expect a most agreeable letter, for not being overburdened with subject (having nothing at all to say), I shall have no check to my genius from beginning to end." --Jane Austen

My blog: Does This Pen Make Me Look Fat? Twitter: @penfatness

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 793 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Great things so far about the ink: no start-up problems; nicely lubricated with this broad nib; ink flows well; ink dries quickly on the page; fun gold-to-gray effect; pretty gold flakes; flakes don't brush off with your finger. I let the pen sit overnight, and it started up perfectly. I think you get more gold flakes if you shake the pen before writing, but to test it I didn't shake the pen in the morning, and I still had gold flakes.
    I think using it in a demonstrator makes it clear that simply rolling the pen is enough if the pen has been stored on its side. I don't think shaking has long-term effects with this ink because the particles drop out really quickly. If one just starts writing, I'm sure that particle rich ink will be on the way. Perhaps a high capacity pen will start out particle-heavy and end particle-light? We'll have to wait for somebody else to find out because I don't leave pens inked up that long.

I have found it to be well-lubricated, but I was surprised to find that immediate start-up was not reliable in my Connaisseur eyedropper pen. I switched to my Gate City Belmont, though, and it hasn't shown the same. This ink may function better in some feeds than others.
    --
    Mike