Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: J. Hebrin Stormy Grey (1670 Ink Collection) Rolling Review add yours

Thanks

Default Re: J. Hebrin Stormy Grey (1670 Ink Collection) Rolling Review add yours

I had no startup issues, the ink just broke the surface tension between the flexed tines very often. But it's a fairly simple matter to write out my whole sentence and then to color in the railroaded letters. I normally don't tolerate that with normal inks, but the sheen of this ink makes it worth the effort. I will be posting a nice little calligraphy sample later tomorrow (:

Thanks

Default Re: J. Hebrin Stormy Grey (1670 Ink Collection) Rolling Review add yours

That would make sense. The TWSBI/Pendleton Point setup I'm using it in right now is pretty wet. And I'm getting sheen that looks like the photo ChrisC posted, even from an arm's length away.
    "Expect a most agreeable letter, for not being overburdened with subject (having nothing at all to say), I shall have no check to my genius from beginning to end." --Jane Austen

My blog: Does This Pen Make Me Look Fat? Twitter: @penfatness

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

So far it seems perfect for the wet-writing MB149. I was getting a crazy amount of gold after I filled it, though, and now some but not so much after carrying it in my pocket for awhile. Settling does have an effect on how much of the gold you get.
    --
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    So far it seems perfect for the wet-writing MB149. I was getting a crazy amount of gold after I filled it, though, and now some but not so much after carrying it in my pocket for awhile. Settling does have an effect on how much of the gold you get.
    The advantage of a demonstrator. When I start writing I check for settled gold and give a gentle shake until the barrel doesn't show sediment. That's keeping my sheen really reliable and consistent. I'd just suggest giving any pen it is in a gentle shake before use.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

I might buy some after I hear feedback on someone who has left it sit in their pen for a couple weeks or a month without using it. Everything about it says pen clogger to me,lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Maybe, but Ray I used the first edition and *that* didn't clog my pens, even left sitting. Got nib creep and some dried crud, but the pens still wrote just fine. So I'm guessing this edition won't clog horribly either. *shrug*
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

bec11mort (October 14th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

My best guess at this point is that the particles will not "clump" enough to prevent flow entirely. And if flow does stop, I predict that cleaning the pen will still be quite easy (which wasn't necessarily the case with Rouge Hematite).
    --
    Mike

Thanks

I ordered a sample from gouletpens. as thy did not have a bottle in stock.
    WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.
    Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Since my cheapie Sheaffer cleaned up so well after use, I just moved up to my Mini TWSBI demonstrator with the 1.5 nib for this ink. Now the flow is much better and I've gotten a rhythm to rocking the pen between paragraphs as I write! I'm leaving the TWSBI inked until it's emptied by writing to see how long it will tolerate.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

I added another writing sample. I find myself needing to turn the piston to wet the feed to get a consistent wet line, which it needs in order to sheen well.

hi.JPG

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ChrisC For This Useful Post:

ARClemmons (December 15th, 2014), BikerBabe (November 1st, 2014), earthdawn (October 13th, 2014), Faustine (November 18th, 2014), fountainpenkid (November 16th, 2014), Neo (October 14th, 2014), penultress (October 15th, 2014), sharmon202 (October 14th, 2014), VertOlive (November 19th, 2014)

Thanks

I know this is a double post, but I thought this observation warranted it. I just tried the ink in a Pilot Parallel. The sheen shows up, but nowhere near as well as in the TWSBI 1.5mm stub or in the Swan flex nib.

I was thinking about buying some extra Parallels in the different sizes in order to use it with this ink, but I decided against it. I think the non traditional feed of the Parallel traps too much of the gold particles.

Thanks

Wow, all great examples of the ink; thanks a lot, everybody!

@Tandaina, thanks for kicking this off. I am relatively new to Fps, but blue and silver sounds like AWESOME SAUCE!
    TWSBI 580 AL "M"
    Sailor PG II Black w/Rhodium trim (M)

People mess with me at their own risk. Jack Reacher

Thanks

I have had it in my Platinum Music Nib since Saturday (now it is Tuesday). First day - good sparkles and lovely sheen. Second day and beyond, even after agitating the pen (the pen didn't get mad ), less sheen to no sheen. My guess is that it will take a few nibs to find the one that likes this ink best.

It seems to take some looking with the light at a 90-degree angle to see the sheen. I see the sheen much more easily in the Rouge Hematite, IMHO.

But, these are all nit-picky comments. The ink is a lovely gray no matter what. It flows well and I haven't had any issues with it yet. I'm not sure I would pay for a second bottle of Stormy Grey whereas I would buy a second bottle of Rouge Hematite. I am asking a lot of this ink, I will admit, and not getting everything I want, but I don't want this to come across as a completely negative review. On a scale of 1 to 10, I wanted an 11 and got an 8.

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

So far I've had Stormy Grey in a Pilot Custom 74 demonstrator with a 0.8mm Binder stub nib and a Lamy Studio with a factory 1.1mm italic nib. Both pens have been inked since Saturday. I've not had any issues with flow. The Pilot puts down a very wet line and makes the ink looks nearly black; the Lamy is slightly drier and shows better shading and a nice range of grey tones. The gold particles settle out very quickly, but agitating the pen gets them suspended again. I am still getting a lot of sheen and sparkle, but I do have to shake the pen first.

Up next is my Lamy 2000 with an XF nib. It's almost out of ink and, as soon as it's empty, it will get flushed and filled with Stormy Grey. I'm interested to see how this ink looks in a finer nib.
    Last edited by reprieve; October 14th, 2014 at 05:39 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

penultress (October 15th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 329 Posts

I got my bottle today.

It's pretty epic stuff but I'm only going to put it into my Jinhao's.

19. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to 00Photo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

ARClemmons (December 15th, 2014), BikerBabe (November 1st, 2014), Bogon07 (October 21st, 2014), caribbean_skye (October 21st, 2014), dannzeman (October 21st, 2014), earthdawn (October 20th, 2014), fountainpenkid (November 16th, 2014), Holsworth (October 31st, 2014), jde (November 18th, 2014), Jeph (October 21st, 2014), Jon Szanto (October 20th, 2014), klpeabody (October 26th, 2014), Lady Onogaro (October 22nd, 2014), Laura N (October 21st, 2014), migo984 (October 20th, 2014), penultress (October 26th, 2014), picautomaton (November 17th, 2014), reprieve (October 21st, 2014), Tracy Lee (October 22nd, 2014), VertOlive (November 19th, 2014), ypsilanti (October 31st, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

No that is some sheen !!!!!!

I've Rouge Hematite running in my Jinhao Safari too. It is not as spectacular as yours - maybe I need to shake it some more.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    No that is some sheen !!!!!!

I've Rouge Hematite running in my Jinhao Safari too. It is not as spectacular as yours - maybe I need to shake it some more.
    Shake it before you write. Also with different paper, the sheen shows different.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to john For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (October 22nd, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Hector, that bird is SOOOOOOO Gorgeous! Thank you!
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Beautiful stuff!
    David

Thanks

Oh my gosh, I'm def. going to get a sample of this and use it for Christmas cards!!