Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for info/recommendations for a loupe, and what type to get

Thanks

Default Looking for info/recommendations for a loupe, and what type to get

I've seen a number of recommendations to get a 10x loupe to check nibs etc and I think one might come in handy. I've been looking on E.bay but I need some recommendations on what sort to buy. There are ones attached to a headband, ones you stand on a desk or table, and others that you grip by squinting.

I'm not going to be grinding nibs or anything like that but will just use it for inspecting a nib and general stuff like that. What sort do you recommend, and are the el cheapo ones OK for occasional use?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Default Re: Looking for info/recommendations for a loupe, and what type to get

http://www.gouletpens.com/Goulet_Loupe_p/gpc-loupe.htm
    Illuminated magnifier very usable

Or get some magnify app for you smart phone (if you have one)
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

I got the cheapest set I could off amazon and have not been disappointed in the the years I have had the set.

Thanks

I second that an illuminated loupe is helpful. I bought a little 20x hand held loupe. My suggestion is to to invest your money in the quality of the lens and not on a headband, stand, or whatever.

Thanks

I got one with a lamp included in it as well and the light is very helpful for me.
    My Pinterest Feel free to add me on Facebook as well.

Thanks

The Goulet loupe is more like an 8x loupe, at least it compares similar to my 8x. I think the manufacturer over rated the magnification.

As much as I might like some of the others (with better optics), the illuminated loupes are way more convenient to use. Because, you don't have to go look for a source of light, or carry a pen light.
    I got mine off Amazon, both the 10x and 20x illuminated loupes. I got the 20x for when I need more magnification than the 10x. But so far the 10x seems to be just about right for most of the stuff I've done.

This is a good one, but it has no light.
    http://www.amazon.com/Loupe-Magnifie...+loupe+triplet

This is the one that I got
    http://www.amazon.com/SE-Loupe-Tripl...+loupe+triplet
    Last edited by ac12; October 13th, 2014 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Richard Binder gives his thoughts on loupes on his web-site Here

The Bausch & Lomb loupe is very good, but he prefers the BelOMO triplet loupe and he explains why. They are both 10x loupes. If you go for higher magnification, you will experience more distortion.

You can pick up BelOMO loupes on ebay, plus their lanyards to go with them. Happy hunting!

Thanks

The Belomo 10X loupe is my first choice. Very clean image quality and excellent field of view. Not as cheap as the no-name ones, but as long as you don't lose it, you can pass it down to your grandchildren!
    Larry

Banned
    Thanks

Test
    Last edited by GING GING; December 17th, 2014 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GING GING View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    http://www.gouletpens.com/Goulet_Loupe_p/gpc-loupe.htm
    Illuminated magnifier very usable

Or get some magnify app for you smart phone (if you have one)
    I have this loupe. It's perfect for what you want to do. 15x mag. LED lit. $ 12.50.
    Not really, its magnification is similar to my 8x loupe. The manufacturer has overstated the magnification.

Banned
    Thanks

Test
    Last edited by GING GING; December 17th, 2014 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I have the loupe that Bogon linked, works great.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

GING GING (October 14th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

This annoys me so much because some of you who are telling Liewellyn to buy an expensive loupe over a cheap loupe would be the same people who would defend the merits of a steel nib over a more expensive gold nib. Or why cheap pens are just as good as expensive pens. Liewellyn, buy all the expensive, gold nibbed pens you can, but don't waste your money on a loupe that you don't need. And perhaps ac12 should notify Brian goulet that he is duping his customers.
    1. Would you like to point out where anyone told him to by an expensive loupe?
    2. Those other things in the middle you said? Don't have anything to do with the conversation.
    3. Goulet duping customers? Yeah, he's one of the worst. I'm sure he'll be out of business soon.

All these are opinions, and there is no right answer. I like Bogon, but it isn't because of raw post count, so total fail on using that as a benchmark, too. Along with telling someone to buy a bunch of gold nib pens vs. paying a couple more bucks on a loupe. Man, this is one of the most illogical paragraphs I've seen in a long time.

On another note: I have two loupes, one illuminated, one not. They both come in handy for differing reasons, and for most casual examination, it will be all you need. However, the OP mentions tweaking nibs a bit, and yet people have slammed head-worn, illuminated magnifiers. I also have one of those, not a giant expense, and it is SOOO handy: you hold the pen in one hand and can adjust the tines with the other, all while viewing it with the hands-free and illuminated image provided by your headset. Once you get into manipulating your pen and nib a bit, and especially when you cross over to doing a bit of repair/restoration, it really is a great advantage to not have one of your two hands saddled with the burden of holding a loupe.

Every tool has a purpose, and it is up to the user to determine which tools will make their life easier, and their results better.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Hey Liewellyn. Listen to Bogon07. He has almost 2500 posts. I'll go out on a limb and say he knows what he's talking about.
    The next comment is not in any way a comment on Bogon who merely posted his recommendation.

The use of post count to indicate pen knowlegde is a rather sad point that is not openly discussed on the forums but frequently discussed among very knowledgeable pen people in private conversation. I suppose it is very much human nature for people to assume that a high post count is a proper metric for wisdom, knowledge, and experience. It is after all a very easy thing to do. Many very knowledgeable pen people no longer participate on pen forums or refuse to even be a part of the online community because of this. The usual complaint goes something like this. There is a question posted online and people with high post counts come in and respond with all kinds of answers often lifted from some erroneous sources on the internet or regurgitating something some internet guru has spouted. A real expert answers with the correct information but is dismissed as not knowing anything because of a low post count and a name that is not 'recognized'. This is how a lot of wrong answers about pens especially vintage pens get propagated and perpetuated. After a few exchanges like this, people who actually know stuff just stop participating on the forums. It is a waste of their time. The problem with post counts is that you can join a forum and spend every living hour posting things like "I've never seen that pen before" or "I like that ink", or "look at this picture of my pet" and rack up several thousand post counts on any forum in a few months.

As for a recommendation on a tool for looking at pens, I suggest everyone forget loupes and such. I recommend a Keyence VR-3000 macroscope.

(I did try out an earlier Keyence unit with a Nakaya nib. It gave a very accurate profile of the tip of the nib at a few micron resolution).
    Last edited by AltecGreen; October 14th, 2014 at 11:05 PM.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 15th, 2014), dannzeman (October 15th, 2014), Jon Szanto (October 14th, 2014), reprieve (October 15th, 2014), rpsyed (January 15th, 2015), Snargle (October 15th, 2014)

Thanks

I'm off my soapbox now.

There is no perfect tool for this application (even the Keyence).

Small pocket loupes are handy especially at pen shows because they are small and can be easily carried in the pockets.

Some of the slightly larger handheld units are easy to hold and many are self illuminated which again is handy. Some of the small loupes have a small field of view.

The head band types are great especially when you need too hands. These also come in varieties that have self illumination. These have lenses for both eyes so you don't have to close one eye.

For actual bench work, I prefer a stereo microscope. These are obviously expensive but valuable in that it frees both hands and come in higher magnifications than loupes. These also have a much wider field of view. These are great for nib grinding and finishing.

The more expensive units have better optics. Some of the higher end loupes (I'm talking Carl-Zeiss, Leica, Nikon) have aspheric lenses and AR coatings. These have significantly less distortion especially at the edges of viewing and much less chromatic aberration. You do get something for the money spent.

I'm sure local stores carry loupes and other magnifying tools. Think Walmart. Just go in a try a few styles. If the image quality is not good enough from these cheap units then go for a more expensive unit with better optics.

Banned
    Thanks

Test
    Last edited by GING GING; December 17th, 2014 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks

And perhaps ac12 should notify Brian goulet that he is duping his customers.
    Where the heck did you come from with this attitude ????
    I would almost say that your post is a troll. So you get this one reply, and no more.

First: I already told Brian about the magnification issue. So your assumption is just that, you "ass-u-me."
    However, he is probably going by what the manufacturer tells him. And if I were he, I would go by the manufacturer's rating as well, since he does not have the gear to actually determine the actual magnification. So no, he is NOT duping his customers, he is going by what the manufacturer tells him the magnification is.

Second: To inspect the nib, you still need adequate magnification and clear optics. Just looking to see if the tips of the nib is in alignment requires enough magnification to see. I need at least 10x magnification to see that. I tired it with lesser magnification and .... no go. I've also used "cheap" junk that I could never get a clear image with, making it worthless. What good is a loupe that does not give you a clear image of what you are looking at. Yes you might find a $3 loupe that is sharp, but I would not count on it. But also note that I use a cheaper loupe than the $35 Belomo, which is not an expensive loupe either. If the Belomo had a light, that is the one that I would use.

Third: As others have stated, there is NO ONE magnifier that will do all you want/need to do. Each is a tool with a specific range of uses. I use multiple magnifiers of different types; 3 hand held magnifiers, 3 loupes, a stand magnifier, and a headband magnifier. I use a headband visor magnifier to floss nibs, because one hand is holding the pen and the other hand the brass sheet, and I do not have a third hand to hold a magnifier. And I do not need a 10x magnifier to see the slit in the nib to floss it, I just need about 4x.

Forth: is your comment:
    "This annoys me so much because some of you who are telling Liewellyn to buy an expensive loupe over a cheap loupe would be the same people who would defend the merits of a steel nib over a more expensive gold nib. Or why cheap pens are just as good as expensive pens. Liewellyn, buy all the expensive, gold nibbed pens you can, but don't waste your money on a loupe that you don't need."

Actually it appears that it is you who is getting confused.
    "...defend the merits of a steel nib over a more expensive gold nib." So you are saying that steel nibs are junk and you should only buy the expensive gold nibs.
    "Or why cheap pens are just as good as expensive pens." So you are saying that cheap pens are junk and you should only buy expensive pens.
    "Liewellyn, buy all the expensive, gold nibbed pens you can, but don't waste your money on a loupe that you don't need."
    It seems from your statements that you are the one taking the high EXPENSIVE route.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ac12 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 15th, 2014), Jon Szanto (October 15th, 2014), reprieve (October 15th, 2014)

Banned
    Thanks

Test
    Last edited by GING GING; December 17th, 2014 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

GG, you really need to quit while you're behind. You can't call out others for not "answering a question" when you've skipped some yourself.

Really. Take a break.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Alright, you came off your shoebox. But you didn't answer his question. You just rambled on about expensive optics. When you say you're getting off your soap box now you infer that you're here to set the record straight. Please have a seat back on your soap box.
    I merely gave a quick overview of various types of magnification tools and some of their specific uses. The Keyence and the stereo microscope are obviously not the tools for the OP. I just threw those out to annoy you.

However, the others are. I did not give a specific recommendation because personal preference in form factors play a big role in the choice. I did suggest for the OP to look locally since you can buy these things at hardware stores, big box stores, etc. You can find cheap loupes under $8 at local stores like Walmart (or big cheap box store of choice). That way he can try out different variations and sees what works for his situation. He might like a head mounted unit for the hands free use or he might prefer the small size of a pocket loupe. As for magnification, I don't think there is one perfect magnification. It depends on what you want to look at. Again, trying something out in person is far more useful than getting 50 different recommendations from an online forum.
    Last edited by AltecGreen; October 15th, 2014 at 11:06 AM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

LagNut (October 15th, 2014), reprieve (October 15th, 2014)