Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for info/recommendations for a loupe, and what type to get

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Default Re: Looking for info/recommendations for a loupe, and what type to get

Quote Originally Posted by AltecGreen View Post
    A real expert answers with the correct information but is dismissed as not knowing anything because of a low post count and a name that is not 'recognized'. This is how a lot of wrong answers about pens especially vintage pens get propagated and perpetuated. After a few exchanges like this, people who actually know stuff just stop participating on the forums.
    I happen to know that you yourself are quite knowledgeable, so I thank you for participating anyway, despite the frustrations.
    --
    Mike

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 15th, 2014), LagNut (October 15th, 2014), reprieve (October 15th, 2014), rpsyed (January 15th, 2015)

Thanks

Hey folks, just thought I'd chime in here since I seem to have gotten looped in (pun!) to this thread I'm actually not offended at the initial post from ac12 inquiring about what I advertise as the 15x rating on my loupes. This is what the manufacturer states, and so that's how I advertise it. It's possible that this rating isn't 100% accurate, especially given that when I was buying all different kinds of loupes to see which I wanted to offer on my site, I couldn't find much consistency at all from one brand to the other despite the "x" rating given. I'm not a scientist with the ability to test it for myself, so I can really only reliably advertise what the manufacturer states. Believe me, no duping was intended. What really mattered to me was that the loupe worked well enough in my mind for the intended purpose. The reason I liked the particular one I now sell is because of the rather forgiving depth-of-field, as opposed to some of the jeweler's loupes I've used which are a higher magnification (and higher price). For some loupes you have to be REALLY precise about how close you hold it to be able to see the tip of the nib.

I'm not offended by ac12 or GING GING here, and hopefully you all understand that my sole intention with offering the loupe I did was to just get you something I thought would work well, and I'm just advertising it as the manufacturer tells me I should.

Write On, Brian Goulet

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GouletPens For This Useful Post:

caribbean_skye (October 15th, 2014), Chrissy (October 15th, 2014), Jon Szanto (October 15th, 2014), mhosea (October 15th, 2014), Neo (October 30th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    A real expert answers with the correct information but is dismissed as not knowing anything because of a low post count and a name that is not 'recognized'. This is how a lot of wrong answers about pens especially vintage pens get propagated and perpetuated. After a few exchanges like this, people who actually know stuff just stop participating on the forums.
    I happen to know that you yourself are quite knowledgeable, so I thank you for participating anyway, despite the frustrations.
    Thanks Mike.

I have a little bit of knowledge. Probably just enough to be dangerous. I was speaking on behalf of others who have decades of experience.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

reprieve (October 15th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GING GING View Post
    Alright, you came off your shoebox. But you didn't answer his question. You just rambled on about expensive optics. When you say you're getting off your soap box now you infer that you're here to set the record straight. Please have a seat back on your soap box.
    I merely gave a quick overview of various types of magnification tools and some of their specific uses. The Keyence and the stereo microscope are obviously not the tools for the OP. I just threw those out to annoy you.
    I think it worked.

Now if you only new a few things about optics...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

reprieve (October 15th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

I have bought a BelOMO 12x loupe off ebay. I wanted to see if a 12x was significantly different to a 10x, but I didn't want to go as high as 15x in case the view was darker or I had to hold the nib really close. I like this loupe very much.

I made an offer that was accepted by the seller. (so if you can't find it on Goofbid and you wish to know what it was you can pm me)

Banned
    Thanks

Default Looking for info/recommendations for a loupe, and what type to get

Test
    Last edited by GING GING; December 17th, 2014 at 05:36 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Test
    Last edited by GING GING; December 17th, 2014 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

The layout is the least of the problems with that post. You could have quit while you were behind.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Thanks

Test
    Last edited by GING GING; December 17th, 2014 at 05:34 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Test
    Last edited by GING GING; December 17th, 2014 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

The next post in this thread needs to be recommendation of a loupe for Llewellyn.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

mrcharlie (October 22nd, 2014), reprieve (October 22nd, 2014)

Thanks

This one works for me when I need two hands

8 Lens Headband Head Strap Magnifier Watch Repair Jeweler Loupe with LED Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATMDOA2..._WU7rub1R9RZGK

If you need a hand one
    Go to Goulet or Anderson
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

mrcharlie (October 22nd, 2014), rdcalhoon (October 22nd, 2014)

Thanks

Looking at the OPs description of what he is going to use it for I woukd recommend thusly. Get a 10x, illuminated, compact loupe for a decent price, don't go crazy as you don't seem to need it for anything major. If that need changes then you can branch out into something more expensive that fits the work you will be doing. I bought an el cheapo, don't even see a brand on it and it works just fine for nib alignment, looking at faded makers marks, etc. It is small enough I can carry it around in my pocket to antique malls and is illuminated. I think I paI'd 12 USD for it. It serves me just fine, but I will need something of better quality soon as I have acquired a desire to learn nib grinding. Thats my two cents. Good luck.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbreeze View Post

8 Lens Headband Head Strap Magnifier Watch Repair Jeweler Loupe with LED Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATMDOA2..._WU7rub1R9RZGK
    Wow, that looks totally "black ops"! Mine is a bit more mundane, but still leaves hands free. Works a treat.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

rdcalhoon (October 22nd, 2014)

Thanks

Originally bought for a LARP as NightVision

"I was not here
    I did not say this"

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

Wow, that looks totally "black ops"! Mine is a bit more mundane, but still leaves hands free. Works a treat.
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 22nd, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

+1
    How cool looking.

Thanks

Looking at the two head mounted magnifiers I might just get converted from my keep-it-simple, handheld-illuminated, put-your-money-into-the-optics position. I have to take my glasses off to use my loupe for more than a quick look, so I have one hand for the loupe, one or two for the pen and nib, and one for my glasses. Plus one to scratch my head in puzzlement.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rdcalhoon For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 22nd, 2014), mrcharlie (October 22nd, 2014)

Thanks

The visor mounted magnifiers are really valuable when you need both hands to do something.
    I need to use the visor magnifier to floss a nib. One hand holds the pen the other the brass sheet, but I still need to see that darn slit to get the brass sheet into it.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ac12 For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 22nd, 2014), Silverbreeze (October 22nd, 2014)