Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB Unbeautiful Parker 51

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Default Re: WTB Unbeautiful Parker 51

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    For my money, the main advantage of the aero is that it is easier (faster) to flush out. That's especially relevant if you change inks a lot.
    Which is exactly why I prefer aerometric fillers. Vacumatics are a pain in the you-know-what to flush. That doesn't mitigate the cool factor, but it does make me think twice before inking one up.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

AdaByron (October 17th, 2014), tandaina (October 17th, 2014)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdaByron View Post
    I want an aero because both of my grandparents had aeros, and I was allowed to help fill them sometimes as a child. Not write with them, but fill them. I was allowed one squeeze, and everytime I'd see one of them write with their pen, I would think "I'll get to squeeze it again soon in the ink bottle."

I can't think of anything that would trump that for me, honestly, but I'm enjoying learning a lot about this all the same.
    That's a great story.

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. There's some excellent information here. Good luck finding a beater 51. Hopefully Rick Krantz has something for you--he's great to deal with.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

AdaByron (October 17th, 2014)

Thanks

Yes -- I was hoping for a pen, but even if I don't get that out of this post, an education about it from people who know what they are talking about is at least as valuable. And when I do get my pen--and regardless, I know I will have one eventually--I will enjoy it even more for knowing more about it. I already know I am going to like it here.
    “A catless writer is almost inconceivable. It's a perverse taste, really, since it would be easier to write with a herd of buffalo in the room than even one cat; they make nests in the notes and bite the end of the pen and walk on the typewriter keys.” -- Barbara Holland

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AdaByron For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 17th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

But I think Rick's post set us all thinking. Pen sellers aren't usually as candid as Rick is[snip]
    I don't know if Rick wants to be thought of as "unusually candid" or not. He may be. But you might want to go back to Rick's post and see if that's really the one you're thinking about.
    --
    Mike

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Laura N (October 17th, 2014)

Thanks

The aero I have (that I am sure I have)....

good connector

breather replaced with plastic breather tube.

and even a beater gets a 1 year warranty.

only problems I see short term.....

1) jewels (I don't have any good ones... ) either you get a missing jewel, or I can affix one, that will stay quite a long time.
    2) barrel (black) it's needs the threads relieved at the end, hard to explain, but it will not affect it cosmetically, nor will it affect the function.

otherwise, should be a good reliable pen.

personally, I was always for the ease of an aerometric, they are so much lesser maintenance than a vac fill

but I use a vac fill everyday, I kinda prefer them anymore.

you did specify what you wanted for the reasons you listed, so that is what we are aiming for!

Rick

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdaByron View Post
    Yes -- I was hoping for a pen, but even if I don't get that out of this post, an education about it from people who know what they are talking about is at least as valuable. And when I do get my pen--and regardless, I know I will have one eventually--I will enjoy it even more for knowing more about it. I already know I am going to like it here.
    Don't worry, I think I got you covered.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Krantz For This Useful Post:

AdaByron (October 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    But I think Rick's post set us all thinking. Pen sellers aren't usually as candid as Rick is[snip]
    I don't know if Rick wants to be thought of as "unusually candid" or not. He may be. But you might want to go back to Rick's post and see if that's really the one you're thinking about.
    yeah, i don't follow this post or reply, but hey.... everyone should be candid and upfront on this stuff. I certainly try my best.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Sorry! Was that you? Then it was you who was unusually candid. All credit to you.

But Rick is awesome, too.

I on the other hand am crazy busy at work, and sleep-deprived, and having a bad day to boot. So I am an idiot.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

I am unusual, and I am candid, but I am rarely unusually candid.

I have two 51s, and specifically have one aero and one vac. I like it that way. And one is boring (yes, Laura, BORING!) and one is a beaut. A boring beaut, but whatta ya gonna do?

I just know Ada will find the perfect pen, and that makes me happy, and I'm glad she has joined FPG. THIS is what it's all about, right kids? <happy dance>
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Laura N (October 17th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I am unusual, and I am candid, but I am rarely unusually candid.

I have two 51s, and specifically have one aero and one vac. I like it that way. And one is boring (yes, Laura, BORING!) and one is a beaut. A boring beaut, but whatta ya gonna do?

I just know Ada will find the perfect pen, and that makes me happy, and I'm glad she has joined FPG. THIS is what it's all about, right kids? <happy dance>
    Jon, I love you, but sigh.

On the other hand, point taken.

"Boring" is fair.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I got less than 15 parker 51's in my collection

all vacumatics....

mostly all double jewel and first years tho

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Krantz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you all for the invaluable (truly) information on this pen. Happily, I now have a very nice restored Parker 51 aerometric pen, wonderful specimen. It came to me through mysterious, unexpected, and almost magical machinations. So I got one that was a good writer AND beautiful. But I do agree, there are no unbeautiful Parker 51s. Now I can play on the Parker group.

Diamine Blue Black (I had done a blue black shoot out in anticipation of getting this pen from some source) and it's inked up as we speak.

I didn't know my request was a false alarm, but am so glad I posted it. I learned so much, and I think you all.
    “A catless writer is almost inconceivable. It's a perverse taste, really, since it would be easier to write with a herd of buffalo in the room than even one cat; they make nests in the notes and bite the end of the pen and walk on the typewriter keys.” -- Barbara Holland

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AdaByron For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 20th, 2014), reprieve (October 21st, 2014), tandaina (October 20th, 2014)

Thanks

Congratulations! I suggest spray-painting the barrel and dimpling the cap with a ball peen hammer to add character.

(Just kidding...)
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Congratulations! I suggest spray-painting the barrel and dimpling the cap with a ball peen hammer to add character.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 21st, 2014), reprieve (October 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Precisely. Well, except for the barrel.

(Man, I love those hammered caps...)

~ Benjamin Franklin

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Laura N (October 21st, 2014)

Thanks

is that one I did?

it looks familiar...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Krantz For This Useful Post:

Laura N (October 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Krantz View Post
    is that one I did?

it looks familiar...
    You did!

Thanks

I thought so. I can recognize them pretty well when I see them.

I need to make some more. I haven't found any beat up sterling caps for a while now.

last one I was going to attempt, was a coronet cap, but in sterling, sorta maintain the frosted part in the arrow pattern, and the shiny smooth part, well if you know what a coronet cap looks like you get it.

anyway, I figured it was going to take around 1000 taps all precise and equal, spaced in a proper grid. I had it ready, made my first tap, great! then went to place the second one and messed it up. Needless to say, that coin silver cap was turned into a hammered cap as well. Sold it at DC, someone was happy to get it.

Thanks

anyway, I figured it was going to take around 1000 taps all precise and equal, spaced in a proper grid. I had it ready, made my first tap, great! then went to place the second one and messed it up. Needless to say, that coin silver cap was turned into a hammered cap as well. Sold it at DC, someone was happy to get it.
    Classic "quit while you're ahead"!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Classic "quit while you're ahead"!
    yeah, really. I wanted to make the coronet for my own use. I will eventually figure it out, or find a silversmith that is good enough to do what I want. I spent days figuring the pattern out, and measuring. I guess my skill set only includes hand hammered at this point. I think if you could make an adjustable tool to stamp a pattern, then allow for the convergence of the cap, you could make it happen. it is more complex than one would think. The originals were engine turned, so you are trying to introduce a different means of processing to yield a similar result. I doubt I will ever have the chance of a real coronet 51 cap, I don't even know of one for sale presently or in the not so distant past, I heard of a pencil that might have sold for $5K, so they are rare and expensive. Silver with the frosted field and the bright areas would be so beautiful tho....

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Krantz For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 22nd, 2014)