Thread: Craft faire finds: Crusader fountain pen and pencil and a short clip gold cap.

Thanks

Default Craft faire finds: Crusader fountain pen and pencil and a short clip gold cap.

Howdy,
    I was at an arts and crafts fair this weekend and bought these two pens, both for $5. One is green and black marbleized with Crusader written down the clip. It is a fountain pen on one side and a pencil on the other. The other has a short clip with Watermans down the clip. There's some swirly loops at the bottom of the cap. I did a brief web search on Crusader, so I see that Waterman had a brand by that name, but no pictures match it.
    I'm not a collector of Waterman. I do have a Phileas, but don't use it much. Could someone fill me in on these pens?
    Thanks,
    John
    IMG_20141102_203956_923.jpg

Thanks

Default Re: Craft faire finds: Crusader fountain pen and pencil and a short clip gold cap.

Waterman had a model named the Crusader, but it wasn't a brand. Your pen is unrelated; it's a third-tier (poor quality, inexpensive) item.

The other pen is a Waterman Taperite Lady Garland.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton

Thanks

Default Re: Craft faire finds: Crusader fountain pen and pencil and a short clip gold cap.

The pen and pencil combo must have been somewhat popular back in the day, judging by the number of them I have seen offered. It looks like all you have to do is put on a new sac and it should work.

The Waterman Taperite is interesting. I got one in an ebay lot of pens and put a new sac in it. It is a nice writer. $5 sounds like a buy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

I confess that I do not like the pen/pencil combo. I have only ever seen them in 3rd tier. However I do like the green marble celluloid. If you got that Taperite for $5 you are doing very well.

Thanks

Thanks to all that answered.
    If my Phileas wrote as nicely as this Lady Garland, I would be totally a Waterman fan! What a smooth writer.
    The Crusader is nice enough, from what I have written with it thus far. It has quite a bit of heft to it, very solid, The nib also says Crusader, with Made in USA below it. But it is definitely not a Waterman Crusader. It is a VERY wet writer, but that might be from the ink, an unknown Chinese brand that I got with some glass pens several years ago.It's my first pen/pencil combination purchase, and my first marbleized pen, so I'm having fun with it.
    Again, thank you all.

Thanks

Apart from the third tier pen/pencil combos, Ariel Kullock makes fantasy Parker 51 pen/pencil combos with Parker 51 parts. Those can be pricey.