Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So the Esterbrook Brand being Revived?

Thanks

Default Re: So the Esterbrook Brand being Revived?

Quote Originally Posted by david i View Post
    Caveat to answer, because apparently the Wahl-Eversharp name has had continuous active ownership if not active product for many years, but you can see the phoenixing of a seemingly long-gone pen brand done rather well by looking at what Syd has done.
    Yes, Wahl-Eversharp is another one done well I could have had in my short list. They are respectful of the tradition of the name but not pretending to be the original company.

I don't know what Syd and compatriots had to do/pay to own the trademarks, but I can confirm the "Eversharp" part was being used for pen related products and they probably had to pay to get them, and Wahl is of course still going in non-writing instrument products. I purchased some "generic" ballpoint refills using the Eversharp name and logo in a drug store about 10 years ago. I think (but am not sure) they were the same refills as sold under the "Penatia" brand, and I believe under some private label store brands today. They did function well, fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    If they also acquired the original patents and developed some revivals using roughly the same design with some modern adjustments, then it may be more forgivable, since at least something of the original was carried over.
    They don't need to acquire patents; patents don't last that long. Depending on when filed and what type of patent, they are about 14-20 years from original filing in the US, and Esterbrook has been functionally dead for much longer than that.
    Last edited by mrcharlie; December 5th, 2014 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharlie View Post
    They don't need to acquire patents; patents don't last that long. Depending on when filed and what type of patent, they are about 14-20 years from original filing in the US, and Esterbrook has been functionally dead for much longer than that.
    Well I should rephrase, if they acquired the original design specs if they desired to make a near clone to an original that would have been cool, but unlikely to happen... but cool. (course reverse engineering it now days would be pretty easy regardless if you have the resources and one in hand). Like... I don't know an original J design, but in a piston or c/c demonstrator format?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    Here's a fun question that Nobody's asked: If you were in charge of resurrecting a revered-but-defunct pen brand, what would you do to gain good press, good vibes and get the pen community behind you?
    I'd pretty much do everything that Syd Saperstein has done with the Wahl-Eversharp brand. Take the best of the past, marry it with contemporary methods and materials, promote it through the fountain pen community, have a presence within said community, and have a deep knowledge of the brand and the history of pens in general. Class act.
    As opposed to (New) Esterbrook, you ask a question, one of three things happens:

1) You get question removed and banned from being able to comment on any future postings
    2) You just never get an answer
    3) Or you get told to email them for an answer, and don't hear back.
    So why all the interest?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Jerome Tarshis (December 8th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    Camden may be cheap, but new jersey is a terrible place to try to do business. I wonder if there's even infrastructure left in Camden to support manufacture of anything besides soup.
    Probably not...I say, having been there exactly once. Otherwise, NJ is pretty handy: I-95 runs right through, and there are still freight lines.
    I'm talking about sky-high taxes and brutal bureaucratic obstacles.

Thanks

The Deluxe is open for purchase, according to their FB page, though it looks like the only way to do so is to email them.

Thanks

I emailed them about it. Here's what I got back...

Our Esterbrook Products will be available for purchase at our online store on our website which will be live in two weeks.

They can also be purchased through select retail accounts nationwide. Our Limited Edition Deluxe Fountain Pen is now available and can be ordered directly. Attached is information forthe pen which will retail for $400.00
    If you are interested , let us know and we will provide payment and shipping details.
    They attached a Word file (Word? Really?) describing the pen. Here's what it says:

Esterbrook, America’s Original Pen Company returns with the release of the Esterbrook “Deluxe” Limited Edition Fountain Pen. This Iconic brand of fine writing instruments is proud to reintroduce their famous Esterbrook Deluxe model originally released in the 1950’s as a one of a kind limited edition.

Available in three stunning colors, Sapphire Blue, Emerald Green and Burgundy/Black Pearl. Each Fountain pen is hand made using a special acrylic sourced exclusively for Esterbrook. Each cap and grip section is made from Solid Sterling Silver which has been hand etched with a unique check pattern and hand polished. A sterling silver band and clip complete each pen. Available with a German Iridium silver plated nib in Medium Point and utilizes a convertor/Cartridge filing system. Each pen is numbered with only 150 pens available worldwide for each color.

The Esterbrook Deluxe is sure to be a collector’s item as the first release for the revival of this Iconic brand of fine writing Instruments.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to chad.trent For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (December 11th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

So this will be a revival of the name only, and not the core concept. The description is of a radical departure from the original concept. Still they may well be nice pens in their own right. I am wondering about that nib description. It says it is "silver plated". So not a rhodium plated steel or gold nib. How well would silver plate last in a nib? It would tarnish quickly. Are there any other silver plated nibs?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Are there any other silver plated nibs?
    Sheaffer used to make Palladium Silver nibs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    Are there any other silver plated nibs?
    Sheaffer used to make Palladium Silver nibs.
    Alloy though.

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

Thanks

So this will be a revival of the name only, and not the core concept. The description is of a radical departure from the original concept. Still they may well be nice pens in their own right. I am wondering about that nib description. It says it is "silver plated". So not a rhodium plated steel or gold nib. How well would silver plate last in a nib? It would tarnish quickly. Are there any other silver plated nibs?

Sad to say, but correct.....

Frank
    "When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chad.trent View Post
    I emailed them about it. Here's what I got back...

They attached a Word file (Word? Really?) describing the pen. Here's what it says:

Esterbrook, America’s Original Pen Company returns with the release of the Esterbrook “Deluxe” Limited Edition Fountain Pen. This Iconic brand of fine writing instruments is proud to reintroduce their famous Esterbrook Deluxe model originally released in the 1950’s as a one of a kind limited edition.

Available in three stunning colors, Sapphire Blue, Emerald Green and Burgundy/Black Pearl. Each Fountain pen is hand made using a special acrylic sourced exclusively for Esterbrook. Each cap and grip section is made from Solid Sterling Silver which has been hand etched with a unique check pattern and hand polished. A sterling silver band and clip complete each pen. Available with a German Iridium silver plated nib in Medium Point and utilizes a convertor/Cartridge filing system. Each pen is numbered with only 150 pens available worldwide for each color.

The Esterbrook Deluxe is sure to be a collector’s item as the first release for the revival of this Iconic brand of fine writing Instruments.
    An expensive item of uncertain quality?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post

Frank
    I think this was entirely predictable. Purchase the name that made quality budget pens and offer expensive stuff. It seems unsavory somehow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post

Frank
    I think this was entirely predictable. Purchase the name that made quality budget pens and offer expensive stuff. It seems unsavory somehow.
    The secrecy from this manufacturer certainly leads to that conclusion.....

Thanks

Default So the Esterbrook Brand being Revived?

Me is sadface... Or for those unlucky enough to be working boxing day.. And therefore have had their morning coffee or tea. This makes me sad. They will polute a legacy for cheap profit again!!!!
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (December 26th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Here's a fun question that Nobody's asked: If you were in charge of resurrecting a revered-but-defunct pen brand, what would you do to gain good press, good vibes and get the pen community behind you?
    I'd pretty much do everything that Syd Saperstein has done with the Wahl-Eversharp brand. Take the best of the past, marry it with contemporary methods and materials, promote it through the fountain pen community, have a presence within said community, and have a deep knowledge of the brand and the history of pens in general. Class act.
    As opposed to (New) Esterbrook, you ask a question, one of three things happens:

1) You get question removed and banned from being able to comment on any future postings
    2) You just never get an answer
    3) Or you get told to email them for an answer, and don't hear back.
    So why all the interest?
    Now that's a very good question.

I think we hear of the name being revived, but it doesn't mean bringing back something following from the older product. I think that something in the TWSBI price range would have generated more interest in purchasing. For that kind of money I would have expected something more in line with Pelikan or Montblanc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Okay, folks. Here they are at Fahrney's:

http://www.fahrneyspens.com/Item--i-30672S
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Neo (January 6th, 2015), Scrawler (January 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Yikes! That crude looking step from section to barrel (could be jut the image)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    Okay, folks. Here they are at Fahrney's:

http://www.fahrneyspens.com/Item--i-30672S
    The the general design and the acrylic make for a quite nice looking pen, and the price is not outrageous. I do wonder how I would get on with such a large step between the barrel an the section. These do bear closer looking at.

Thanks

I have rather loved the vintage Esterbrook pens. Just reading over this thread, I will admit to be slightly on the fence about this particular relaunch of the brand. It looks nothing like a traditional J. I wish they had brought it back. The pen looks nice and I might get it one day...with a gift card...if I got everything else I wanted. Maybe. I will have to agree this is rather disappointing. I am quite sad face indeed.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

So here are some links to further information on these pens.

First is a review done by the Andersons. I don't watch videos, so I'll have to wait for someone who did, but I found the written review extremely informative. There are excellent comparison photos, too.

Here's something from a branding perspective.

Finally here are some thoughts by a fountain pen blogger.

I found these very thoughtful and informative. Apparently there's some controversy here, if you read between the lines, but I honestly know nothing about that. Maybe others do. A friend sent me these links, and I remembered this thread.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (February 5th, 2015), Scrawler (February 5th, 2015)