Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing Panjo, a new Classifieds section

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Default Introducing Panjo, a new Classifieds section

UPDATE 1/6/2015: I've uninstalled the Panjo plugin and will return to the original style of listing classifieds.

Hey folks, I'm really excite to introduce a new classifieds plugin called Panjo.

I think we can agree that most classified sections are somewhat lacking and while I have yet to discover selling (or buying) nirvana, I think Panjo improves on the standard forum post.

Here's a few items that I think is an improvement over creating a typical classified listing:

* a photo-based gallery of listings
    * email reminders
    * buyer protection
    * payment integration
    * increased item visibility
    * sort, search, and filer tools
    * sold item records
    * drag-and-drop image uploads
    * enhanced security
    * price negotiation and checkout tools

The best part, to me, is the Paypal integration and the ease in which I can buy something. Just click the "Buy" button, check out securely through Paypal, and it's done.

The other main reason we've installed Panjo is to help pay for some of the operating costs of FPGeeks.

There's no listing fee, but there is a 2.5% transaction fee when the item sells. For users who have donated to the forum we are removing the transaction fee so it will cost you nothing to use it. This will be retroactive, so if you've ever donated, even as little as $1, you won't have to pay any fees for selling items.

The new Panjo Classifieds can be accessed through the "Classifieds" menu link at the top of the forum and the Classifieds forum will remain as is. Panjo automatically creates a new thread in the Classifieds forum so it can still be used on mobile devices.

Speaking of mobile devices, there's also a Panjo app for iPhone (sorry Android users) that lets you list items directly from your phone.

I want to give a huge THANKS! to Tim Hoffman who helped me out with this project.

If you have any questions or concerns please leave a comment. I'm looking forward to your feedback.

Learn more about the new buyer benefits:

Learn more about the new seller benefits:
    Last edited by dannzeman; January 6th, 2015 at 08:17 AM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

dougb1426 (February 11th, 2015), Flounder (November 17th, 2014), Frank (November 17th, 2014), jde (November 15th, 2014), laoriginaltec (November 26th, 2014), sixmr (November 15th, 2014), trhall (November 15th, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: Introducing Panjo, a new Classifieds section

"Browse The Gallery" gives a 404

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gbryal View Post
    "Browse The Gallery" gives a 404
    Fixed. Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,592 Times in 1,020 Posts

I sold some pens recently, and so I feel I owe a retroactive contribution. Can I donate anonymously and still have the transaction fee removed in the future?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

Will there be a fee for a Trade listing?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

This sorta hurts those of us that sell across multiple forums.

Here's the problem I see....

If I commit to someone on one forum, like Fountain Pen Board, via email that they are the successful buyer, then bang, someone here on FP Geeks clicks buy now, it is going to leave someone disappointed.

I think it is great that the sellers should support the board, and honestly, with the exception of being stuck with paypal as the only means to receive payment, I like the rest. Especially listing direct from my Iphone.

It sorta hurts the set up I have in regards to selling, and I am not sure how to functionally make my sales work across all boards.

Presently, I list across Fountain Pen Classifieds, Fountain Pen Board, Pentrace, and FP Geeks. I have people that follow my sales on each board that look for something different.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rick Krantz For This Useful Post:

Curtisvan (November 13th, 2014), Hawk (November 13th, 2014), Sailor Kenshin (November 12th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    I sold some pens recently, and so I feel I owe a retroactive contribution. Can I donate anonymously and still have the transaction fee removed in the future?
    Yes, you can donate anonymously and still be part of the group not subject to transaction fees. The anonymity is just to other forum members. The backend still keeps track of who donates.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

Laura N (November 11th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Will there be a fee for a Trade listing?
    No. Trades are not currently part of the Panjo Classified System.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Krantz View Post
    This sorta hurts those of us that sell across multiple forums.

Here's the problem I see....

If I commit to someone on one forum, like Fountain Pen Board, via email that they are the successful buyer, then bang, someone here on FP Geeks clicks buy now, it is going to leave someone disappointed.

I think it is great that the sellers should support the board, and honestly, with the exception of being stuck with paypal as the only means to receive payment, I like the rest. Especially listing direct from my Iphone.

It sorta hurts the set up I have in regards to selling, and I am not sure how to functionally make my sales work across all boards.

Presently, I list across Fountain Pen Classifieds, Fountain Pen Board, Pentrace, and FP Geeks. I have people that follow my sales on each board that look for something different.
    Sorry, some information that wasn't provided may give you a different outlook.

A listing on Panjo can easily be cancelled in those situations when a pen sells elsewhere. If a buyer does complete the checkout here after someone else commits but before you can cancel the listing then it will create an extra step for you in that you have to refund their payment.

To clarify, Paypal isn't the only way to accept payment. You can arrange payment on your own terms. Using Paypal just streamlines the checkout process for the buyer and seller and provides protection for both users.
    Last edited by dannzeman; November 11th, 2014 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks

thanks for the additional information.

It certainly is something I am going to try and make work.

I really like your site, and I like the people here. It is a hassle free exchange, and honestly, you guys did not drag it down with a lot of rules.

my home board is Fountain Pen Board, but this one has a terrific mix of people.

Admittedly, I am a seller that sells enough and should contribute more, so that is all good as well.

I have been trying to figure out ways to get away from paypal for ages now, maybe this is the way to make it happen, who knows.

Also, I could custom tailor my sales for this board, or even LINK them to here.

Thanks again. I'm not going anywhere, we'll make this work!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Two things:

1. This is just the perfect time to spur me into action - I *need* to release some of my pens into the wild, I just don't like having more pens than I can either use or appreciate. Thanks, Dan.

2. I just have to put a public kudo to Rick: Rick, you always have great sales, and while I haven't bought much from you, the pens you sell, at prices that are beyond reasonable, certainly must account for a lot of people, who are new to the hobby, finding good pens to add to their flocks. Not to mention that Rick just came to the rescue for me with some much needed Esterbrook items. I really do hope you stick around, Rick, you are a credit to pendom.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (January 15th, 2015), Hawk (November 13th, 2014), Jeph (November 12th, 2014)

Thanks

Um...no. I may be a luddite. Thank you Dan for the forum and the ability to sell here.

As a seller I see no upside to this. If you want money, ask.

As a buyer reading through their terms it appears they are passing the responsibility onto paypal. I have not quoted the relevant bits because you should read it yourselves.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sloegin For This Useful Post:

Psychedelink (December 7th, 2014), Sailor Kenshin (November 12th, 2014)

Thanks

I have just clicked on the 'Browse' clicky and I like the look.

If it keeps this clean through the months then it could be a very pleasant way of browsing the classifieds.

Sloegin: Indeed. It would appear they are passing responsibility for everything to anyone but themselves. I don't sell much/often so I will not/can not comment on how it would affect others but I'll see how it goes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sloegin View Post
    ...As a seller I see no upside to this.
    Really? Because as a seller myself, I see several advantages, the biggest being a more efficient process from listing to accepting payment. Image uploading is drag-n-drop or batch upload. I don't have to worry about using a third-party host and copying and pasting a bunch of links. I don't have to go back and forth with a potential buyer if the item is still available and what my Paypal info is. If the buyer wants, they click "Buy It", I get the notification, ship it and that's it.

But, being a luddite, you probably don't use Paypal or even take digital images. I'm guessing you're still mailing prints to those interested in purchasing your pens so you're right, there probably is no upside for you.

If you want money, ask.
    I can ask all I want, but only a few actually donate and do so repeatedly. Using Panjo and charing a transaction fee is a way to spread the load out evenly, especially for those who sell more than others.

As a buyer reading through their terms it appears they are passing the responsibility onto paypal. I have not quoted the relevant bits because you should read it yourselves.
    Is this is a surprise? Paypal has a pretty solid resolution system and I always recommend people use them for online transactions. If we had a policy in place for the Classifieds (before installing Panjo) I'd just copy theirs.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

tiffanyhenschel (November 12th, 2014)

Thanks

I've just uploaded a pen - it was surprisingly easy.

One or two niggles:
    1. I can't list prices in two currencies (it makes little sense for someone in the UK to pay currency conversion to USD and me back to GBP)
    2. I can't differentiate the shipping cost (that option is greyed out).
    3. It doesn't recognise anonymous donations (unsurprisingly) but I'm fine with that.

ETA: I've just (hopefully) sold the Pelikan listed on Pajaro the old fashioned way and now it won't let me cancel the listing.
    Last edited by carlc; November 12th, 2014 at 06:49 AM.

Thanks

Hi Dan,

I watched the video but didn't see an answer to this: can you list without the Paypal "Buy" button?

I can think of situations where I wouldn't want just anyone to be able to automatically buy my item. For example, if I didn't want to sell internationally, or if I needed to charge more for international shipping, or if I didn't want to sell to a particular person with whom I'd had a bad experience.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Hawk (November 13th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Hi Dan,

I watched the video but didn't see an answer to this: can you list without the Paypal "Buy" button?

I can think of situations where I wouldn't want just anyone to be able to automatically buy my item. For example, if I didn't want to sell internationally, or if I needed to charge more for international shipping, or if I didn't want to sell to a particular person with whom I'd had a bad experience.
    For each listing you can choose whether or not you want to use Paypal or arrange outside payment. For variable shipping rates there is an option for it to be determined by the buyer's location after the sale.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

Laura N (November 12th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlc View Post
    I've just uploaded a pen - it was surprisingly easy.

One or two niggles:
    1. I can't list prices in two currencies (it makes little sense for someone in the UK to pay currency conversion to USD and me back to GBP)
    2. I can't differentiate the shipping cost (that option is greyed out).
    3. It doesn't recognise anonymous donations (unsurprisingly) but I'm fine with that.

ETA: I've just (hopefully) sold the Pelikan listed on Pajaro the old fashioned way and now it won't let me cancel the listing.
    What do you mean by "It doesn't recognise anonymous donations?"

What happens when you try to cancel the listing? When I do it, I select Classifieds>Marketplace Tools>Your Listing and I'm presented with:
    Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 8.10.56 AM.png
    When I click "Cancel Listing" I see:
    Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 8.11.21 AM.png
    Last edited by dannzeman; November 12th, 2014 at 07:25 AM.

Thanks

I donated in the past but it still seemed to be adding a 2.5% donation.

I got an error message when I tried to cancel (twice) - it also said the team had been notified.

Thanks

Um...no. I may be a luddite. Thank you Dan for the forum and the ability to sell here.

As a seller I see no upside to this. If you want money, ask.

I agree that the benefits to sellers aren't as great. The automatic Paypal payment will probably be appreciated by some sellers because they don't have to deal with all the PMs back and forth, or with buyers who are slow payers. But it seems like there's a benefit for Fountain Pen Geeks, and that's enough for me.

I do a lot of fundraising as a volunteer. "All you have to do is ask" doesn't always work. First, many people aren't comfortable saying "please contribute." Second, a surprising number of people just ignore such a request anyway. And others are too busy, or put it off till later, or assume it's not needed. Asking for money works best in person and when there's a little benefit for it, two things that are harder to accomplish on a free website.

Also, no matter what, some people will never contribute. For those people, a small selling fee is probably much more acceptable.

This was a nice reminder to me to make a contribution, which I'd thought I'd already done. Another problem with asking for money -- people think they've already contributed.

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (November 14th, 2014), Curtisvan (November 13th, 2014), Jon Szanto (November 12th, 2014), Neo (November 13th, 2014), tiffanyhenschel (November 12th, 2014), welch (January 7th, 2015), Woody (November 12th, 2014)