Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Greg Minuskin - Quite disappointed

Thanks

Default Re: Greg Minuskin - Quite disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by david i View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sumgaikid View Post
    HI John,

I'm keeping that one until the if/when I manage to score one with even better color, which might be a bit. I have a couple of this sort in the pipeline though, a bit darker but still ok, for what will be well lower cost.

regards

david

I figured as much. Any Chilton Long Island pens in the bunch you have to go thru?

John
    Yep. Very clean pen in black celluloid. That one can be available.

regards

david

Saw your previous post here about a lot of things you have to do to play catch up. How long do you figure before you
    can get to it(Will probably need time to pull $$$ together)?

John

Thanks

Daniel, yhes, I still have the Parker 100 with an 'S' shaped nib. Also have a replacement P100 that jumped out of my hand and onto a carpeted office floor. I am not meant to write with the 100: only conclusion.

On GE Information Services (GEIS): see the oral history from Warner Sinback in 2004: http://archive.computerhistory.org/r....102658003.pdf

Warner was an "executive consultant", a permanent advisor to the GEIS division president when I started. Chris Brook write the data network, using a GE DPS 6 for what a Cisco router now does. Pete Lovell, Roger Dyer, and a few others wrote the email system: GE Cross-file, about 1970. Commercialized as Quick*Comm. I think Norm Harbvey and Roger worked on the commercialization of the Dartmouth Time Sharing Operating System (DTSS) toward what eventually because GE's Mark III. The trick was that two Dartmouth professors had written DTSS on the only hardware on campus: a GE 625 mainframe and a GE communications computer. GE commercialized the 635 as a combination of the 625 and the comms device; Kemeny and Kurts at Dartmouth got all the GE hardware they wanted.

Thanks

HI John,

I'm keeping that one until the if/when I manage to score one with even better color, which might be a bit. I have a couple of this sort in the pipeline though, a bit darker but still ok, for what will be well lower cost.

regards

david

I figured as much. Any Chilton Long Island pens in the bunch you have to go thru?

John
    Yep. Very clean pen in black celluloid. That one can be available.

regards

david

Saw your previous post here about a lot of things you have to do to play catch up. How long do you figure before you

John
    Potentially this week.

regards

d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

Thanks

John
    Not sure this is quite on-topic to the overall thread, but since you asked...

Might be a good one for the Black Pen Society.

-d
    Last edited by david i; December 6th, 2014 at 12:08 AM.
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.

Thanks

Here's a link to the "Lounge".

Here's a link to "For Sale".

This is the "Market Feedback" section.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Here's a link to the "Lounge".

Here's a link to "For Sale".

This is the "Market Feedback" section.

Here's a link to McDonalds.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/home.html

Hmmm....
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks

What does McDonalds have to do with anything?

Me thinks Aunt Sally has made a visit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pen View Post
    What does McDonalds have to do with anything?

Me thinks Aunt Sally has made a visit.
    McDonalds makes lard shakes, or so the story went.

regards

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

I love the smell of thread drift in the morning.

Having said that, if people cared, they would actually say "well, this is getting too far off-topic, so I'll post this elsewhere". But, no.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

"Cared" offers many nuances.

And, perhaps off-topic to that claim about nuances-- or perhaps not-- I do tend to address what pops up where it pops up. People deserve responses. It shows... eep(!)... caring

regards

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

And, perhaps off-topic to that claim about nuances-- or perhaps not-- I do tend to address what pops up where it pops up. People deserve responses. It shows... eep(!)... caring

regards

-d
    Must be the doctor in you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post

regards

-d
    Perhaps. I tend to try to keep the medical thing and the pen collecting thing a bit separate. The doctor-patient relationship requires a bit more graciousness than dealing with some of the... stuff... that goes on in pen collecting Of course there also is the teaching thing. A fair bit of my medical time is spent doing clinical instruction with students and Residents.

regards

-d
    Last edited by david i; December 6th, 2014 at 12:14 PM.
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks

My apologies for temporarily pulling the topic off-topic. David,can you PM me about the particulars on the Chilton?

John

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Perhaps. I tend to try to keep the medical thing and the pen collecting thing a bit separate. The doctor-patient relationship requires a bit more graciousness than dealing with some of the... stuff... that goes on in pen collecting Of course there also is the teaching thing. A fair bit of my medical time is spent doing clinical instruction with students and Residents.

regards

-d
    Good thing. I don't know if we could afford the co-pay...

T

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Hawk (December 6th, 2014)

Thanks

regards

-d
    Good thing. I don't know if we could afford the co-pay...

T
    I'm inexpensive

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    Daniel, yhes, I still have the Parker 100 with an 'S' shaped nib. Also have a replacement P100 that jumped out of my hand and onto a carpeted office floor. I am not meant to write with the 100: only conclusion.

On GE Information Services (GEIS): see the oral history from Warner Sinback in 2004: http://archive.computerhistory.org/r....102658003.pdf

Warner was an "executive consultant", a permanent advisor to the GEIS division president when I started. Chris Brook write the data network, using a GE DPS 6 for what a Cisco router now does. Pete Lovell, Roger Dyer, and a few others wrote the email system: GE Cross-file, about 1970. Commercialized as Quick*Comm. I think Norm Harbvey and Roger worked on the commercialization of the Dartmouth Time Sharing Operating System (DTSS) toward what eventually because GE's Mark III. The trick was that two Dartmouth professors had written DTSS on the only hardware on campus: a GE 625 mainframe and a GE communications computer. GE commercialized the 635 as a combination of the 625 and the comms device; Kemeny and Kurts at Dartmouth got all the GE hardware they wanted.
    But you'd said GEIS had probably invented email; all that says is that some folks there wrote *an* email system in about 1970, but by then, email was already in use in several widely-deployed systems for almost a decade.

I'd be happy to take a look at your specially-crafted "S" nib if you'd like.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton

Thanks

Hi Guys. First post. I found this thread in a google search for Greg Minuskin. I was trying to figure out why he keeps blocking my email address every time I ask him a question... I first asked him a question about a repair. Here are the questions and responses copy/pasted:

$65.00 plus postage.

Greg Minuskin
    greg@gregminuskin.com
    www.gregminuskin.com

On Dec 22, 2014, at 7:55 AM, jay####@###### wrote:

Any rough guess as to what it would it would cost to get the Sheaffer white dot lifetime vacuum filler working, assuming it needs the typical internal gaskets etc?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: "jays###" <jays#########>
    Sent: Monday, December 22, 2014 10:22:01 AM
    Subject: Re: possible refurb on a Sheaffer white dot lifetime pen I won on eBay

Thanks for your email!

All pens are sold on a first come, first served basis. Just keep checking my website www.gregminuskin.com and if you see something you like, let me know asap. I hope to make you a customer soon!

Sincerely,

Greg Minuskin
    greg@gregminuskin.com
    www.gregminuskin.com

<CatHaveANiceDay.gif>

On Dec 22, 2014, at 7:20 AM, jays######### wrote:

Hello Greg. I am a lifelong fountain pen enthusiast turned recent collector. I've only recently really been able to spare a little extra money to acquire some pens that are "nicer" than the Lamys and Chinese pens that make up most of my collection. I recently won an auction for a vintage Sheaffer white dot lifetime pen. I'm not used to winning any of the gold-nibbed vintage pens and was surprised that I won it. Specifically this pen http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Shea...p2047675.l2557

I'm reasonably handy and have tinkered with pens nibs, but it looks like I'm in over my head on vacuum fillers. I was just curious if you work on these pens and if so what a rough estimate on cost would be to get a pen like this working. I'm assuming it's going to need work, but won't know until it arrives.

PS: I only found your site yesterday and think I will get pens from you instead of eBay from now on . You sell working pens at very reasonable prices, and I have just a little spare Christmas money left over..

Then he blocked my email address as I found out a few days later when I tried to buy a pen that he posted. So I logged in to my work email address and bought the pen. Sent emails back and forth until the eBay transaction was complete in less than 30 minutes. Received the pen, it's okay aside from the nib slipping around, whatever I still like the pen as my first "working" vintage pen with a gold nib. So tonight he posted a needle point "wet noodle" pen and I sent him a question from my work email as I know people's definition of "wet noodle" can vary. Copy/paste:

Sent: Monday, January 05, 2015 6:22 PM
    To: Jason #####

It is easy to flex, with lots of flow, no scale.

Greg Minuskin
    greg@gregminuskin.com
    www.gregminuskin.com

On Jan 5, 2015, at 3:21 PM, Jason Urton <jason@flemingleeshue.com> wrote:

Curious as to what your definition of a wet noodle is? Does that mean that it flexes very easily to 3 times it's un-flexed line length, ie from a F to BB?

Then I sent him an email to thank him for explaining his definition and.. Copy/Paste:

Undeliverable: RE: flex pen for sale
    Microsoft Outlook

Sent: Monday, January 05, 2015 7:08 PM
    To: Jason #####

smtp11.gate.ord1a.rsapps.net rejected your message to the following e-mail addresses:

Greg Minuskin (greg@gregminuskin.com)

smtp11.gate.ord1a.rsapps.net gave this error:
    <Jason########>: Sender address rejected: Blocked by this recipient

Your message wasn't delivered due to a permission or security issue. It may have been rejected by a moderator, the address may only accept e-mail from certain senders, or another restriction may be preventing delivery.

He blocked my work email too. I've already bought one of his pens and paid promptly (les than 30 minutes). Am I doing something wrong? I'm so confused! I'm just trying to expand my collection into vintage pen territory at what seemed like good prices, but I somehow managed to get myself blocked with 2 email addresses. Do I just make a google or Hotmail address the next time he posts something I want to buy? Sigh...

Jason
    New York Scribbler

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by New York Scribbler View Post
    Am I doing something wrong? I'm so confused! I'm just trying to expand my collection into vintage pen territory at what seemed like good prices, but I somehow managed to get myself blocked with 2 email addresses. Do I just make a google or Hotmail address the next time he posts something I want to buy?
    You want my opinion? Don't fret about it. Don't try to figure it out. If you ask the girl to dance, and she says no, just bounce off. She wasn't the one. Keep your eyes peeled for Rick Krantz's sales. He used to post them here and may still, but my recollection is that he was struggling with the "Panjo" sales system that we started using here. You can also find his sales on www.fountainpenboard.com, which is a very collector-oriented board. If you need some help with repairing a Sheaffer vac filler, try Ron Zorn at www.mainstreetpens.com. If you want my opinion, that's who you should have been talking to in the first place for that sort of thing. Now if you need a nib retipped or nib crack repaired, then Greg would have been the guy to talk to. Again, this is my opinion.
    --
    Mike

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Neo (January 5th, 2015), New York Scribbler (January 8th, 2015), reprieve (January 5th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Well, I have no experience with Mr Minuskin, but if you would like what I suppose I could describe as a more"communicative" service then there are plenty of other dealers.

If you are willing to buy from the UK you could do not better than deal with Deb at Goodwriter's Pens Addiitonally Deb runs an excellent and informative blog; you'll find the link on her pages. I and a number of fellow geeks have bought from her and have had absolutely first-class pens and first-class service.

Cob

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Neo (January 5th, 2015), New York Scribbler (January 8th, 2015)

Thanks

Thanks for the nice comment. However, i'm not looking for any new customers... LOL... j/k

just look for my sale posts on the boards. I unfortunately tried to work with the Panjo system, to no success. I regrettably cannot get it to do what I want it to do, but once in a while, I will try to list. Your best luck if you want to see my wares is to just do a search for my name on any of the other sites. What I sell I try to typically price reasonable, and with very few exceptions, I offer a 1 year warranty on the stuff I sell, typically that it will successfully write and function properly for a year. If you find issue or even break it, i certainly will do my best to help you, and for the most part, even outside the 1 year time period.

As for Greg, I dunno, all of my interactions have been good with him, not sure I'm just hoping it was a miscommunication between you both, or some software glitch. Greg's a cool guy, and does expert work. I don't want to speak for him, but I don't think he does Sheaffer Vac fill repair. YOur repairers for these are Gerry Berg, or Mike and Linda Kennedy of Indy Pen Dance.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rick Krantz For This Useful Post:

mhosea (January 6th, 2015), Neo (January 5th, 2015), New York Scribbler (January 8th, 2015), reprieve (January 6th, 2015)