Thread: Greg Minuskin - Quite disappointed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,116 Times in 4,029 Posts

Default Re: Greg Minuskin - Quite disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by purplepencils View Post
    However, maybe "looking at it funny" was not the best way to go about things. He might have thought the OP was simply trying to cause trouble. In any case, it's best to be literal and clear when corresponding with a vendor about possible issues in the product.
    This.

The one, true way you can come out smelling like roses in any kind of retail transaction dispute is put all emotion and drama aside, and speak in a calm and business-like manner. Especially in electronic communication, the need for leaving out any hint of irony, humor, sarcasm, etc is so important - unless the person knows you well, a phrase that would cause both of you to chuckle if you were eye-to-eye can easily be misconstrued. Be plain, speak facts, get stuff accomplished.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

A Smug Dill (November 3rd, 2020), Cob (November 27th, 2014), Hawk (November 15th, 2014), New York Scribbler (January 5th, 2015), pengeezer (November 15th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    However, maybe "looking at it funny" was not the best way to go about things. He might have thought the OP was simply trying to cause trouble. In any case, it's best to be literal and clear when corresponding with a vendor about possible issues in the product.
    This.

The one, true way you can come out smelling like roses in any kind of retail transaction dispute is put all emotion and drama aside, and speak in a calm and business-like manner. Especially in electronic communication, the need for leaving out any hint of irony, humor, sarcasm, etc is so important - unless the person knows you well, a phrase that would cause both of you to chuckle if you were eye-to-eye can easily be misconstrued. Be plain, speak facts, get stuff accomplished.
    All I did was asking a question though. Beside that joke, the rest was pretty much courteous IMO. And seriously, should vendors be held up to the same standards as customers? I think not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pluvia View Post
    Beside that joke, the rest was pretty much courteous IMO.
    Well, exactly my point. Your "joke" didn't come across as such, and caused the other party to become defensive.

And seriously, should vendors be held up to the same standards as customers? I think not.
    I'm not quite certain you've typed exactly what you mean to say. I will just state that I believe all parties should be held to the same, high standards. And, if you'll note, you are offering excuses for your own part in this, and I am not accepting excuses from either party. I also note that prior to this thread, you have not participated on the FPG forums, so I don't have any kind of track record of your own behavior. In the immortal words of Walter White: "Tread carefully."
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

A Smug Dill (November 3rd, 2020), pengeezer (November 16th, 2014)

Thanks

Well, exactly my point. Your "joke" didn't come across as such, and caused the other party to become defensive.

And seriously, should vendors be held up to the same standards as customers? I think not.
    I'm not quite certain you've typed exactly what you mean to say. I will just state that I believe all parties should be held to the same, high standards. And, if you'll note, you are offering excuses for your own part in this, and I am not accepting excuses from either party. I also note that prior to this thread, you have not participated on the FPG forums, so I don't have any kind of track record of your own behavior. In the immortal words of Walter White: "Tread carefully."
    I can see where you're coming from and I respect your opinion, but I cannot agree with that. Further discussion between us will certainly run in circle of us arguing back and forth about "joke" so let's cease it here and agree to disagree. I would like to keep this feedback limited to how Mr Minuskin responded to my issue. Reader of this feedback will have to decide for themselves whether his attitude was justified or not.

I posted this thread on fpgeeks per dannzeman's recommendation from a similar thread on the subreddit /r/fountainpens (of which I am an active member). You can find the thread and more opinions about this matter in the following link http://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens...ind_of_an_ass/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pluvia For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 15th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pluvia View Post
    I posted this thread on fpgeeks per dannzeman's recommendation from a similar thread on the subreddit /r/fountainpens (of which I am an active member). You can find the thread and more opinions about this matter in the following link http://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens...ind_of_an_ass/
    In this case, I completely rescind my comment about your 'new' status here. Obviously, I was unaware of this connection. As to the other, certainly, I won't press the matter. Do keep in mind, however, that any commentary offered up on a public forum is open game for discussion. It takes two to tango.

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

pluvia (November 15th, 2014)

Thanks

This.

We used to say, "Electronic communication is a high-contrast medium", and our division of GE (Information Services) probably invented email and a few other things: time-sharing, global data networks, "networked based computing" -- now called "cloud computing". Our rule was to write in a neutral tone, especially since we were a global corporation.

Greg is among the very best nib-artisans. Example: I sent him a Parker 100 after I dropped it, nib down, on a hard floor. Greg examined it, and refused to repair it, saying, "The nib is too damaged. I can't fix it in a way that would make you happy". Anyone who turns down business has a high ethical standard. I have used Mike Masuyama, Tim Girdler, Greg, Pendleton Brown, and Richard Binder. They are all very good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    ...our division of GE (Information Services) probably invented email and a few other things: time-sharing, global data networks, "networked based computing" -- now called "cloud computing".
    Not my understanding, though support for these claims is welcomed.

--Daniel
    P.S. Still have the Parker 100?
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton

Thanks

Great advice!
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

There has been several threads recently where the OP is complaining about a seller. We, as forum members, only have half the story. What is the OP hoping to accomplish?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Johnny_S (November 3rd, 2020), Ole Juul (November 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    There has been several threads recently where the OP is complaining about a seller. We, as forum members, only have half the story. What is the OP hoping to accomplish?
    Sharing of information and experience.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_S View Post
    I have no experience of Gregs work but as a general principle I would want to hear both sides of the story.

There might be situations where a seller/repairer is 100% to blame but to damn a reputation is a hard call to make.

I have had a repairer break a pen, lose a pen, switch parts on a pen, do a bad repair, misrepresent a pen or just plain ripped me off, including current posters, none of them held up their hands and said sorry. One repairer, who has the best reputation, took a year to do the simplest repair.

We can all name names, life is too short.
    I don't know about "saying sorry," but if you were not properly compensated after what you have described here, or if the mistake was not rectified one way or another, then you have been taken advantage of. Customers deserve better, even according to law.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (November 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_S View Post
    I have no experience of Gregs work but as a general principle I would want to hear both sides of the story.

There might be situations where a seller/repairer is 100% to blame but to damn a reputation is a hard call to make.

I have had a repairer break a pen, lose a pen, switch parts on a pen, do a bad repair, misrepresent a pen or just plain ripped me off, including current posters, none of them held up their hands and said sorry. One repairer, who has the best reputation, took a year to do the simplest repair.

We can all name names, life is too short.
    I don't know about "saying sorry," but if you were not properly compensated after what you have described here, or if the mistake was not rectified one way or another, then you have been taken advantage of. Customers deserve better, even according to law.
    We are talking about two different aspects, I would not name the persons involved without allowing them to explain themselves first of all, publicly.

Of course they do, some seem to reply on the idea that it is my word against theirs, so they become incalcitrant.

Even the most prestigious of repairers/sellers, IMO.

Not that I would name them however, thats just me.