Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg Minuskin - Quite disappointed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Default Re: Greg Minuskin - Quite disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post
    A well-restored vintage pen is completely reliable. Why wouldn't it be?
    Materials age. Unless they are replaced they will eventually fail. Some quicker than others (look at Dorics for example)
    Quite so, but that's hardly relevant to the present discussion. We're not talking about a Doric or one of the more fragile celluloid Watermans. In any case, don't you think that a responsible repairer will take that into account when he decides whether or not a pen is fit to be offered for sale? Most vintage pens, of whatever age, are not in any danger of imminent materials failure.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Cob (November 27th, 2014), Jon Szanto (November 18th, 2014), Neo (November 18th, 2014)

Thanks

I bought a pen from Greg and the tipping fell off. I wouldn't buy anything from Greg.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to heraclitus682 For This Useful Post:

Neo (November 18th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heraclitus682 View Post
    I bought a pen from Greg and the tipping fell off. I wouldn't buy anything from Greg.
    Was the nib retipped; a modified nib; or just an old nib?

Also curious how the tipping fell off. While writing or filling or ? I've had tipping pop off on more than one occasion while doing repairs, usually I can determine why the tipping weld failed but sometimes it is a mystery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heraclitus682 View Post
    Was this tipping that he had applied?

Thanks

So let’s assess the information in this thread so we can learn what to expect before you buy from him.

What you get:
    -Prompt shipping times
    -Prompt response times to questions or concerns
    -The item you purchased, or a full refund
    -Greg also seems to stay current with what his customers are saying by monitoring various web forums.

What you do not get:
    -A warm and/or touchy feeling

Conclusion: You’re going to get exactly what you purchased or a full refund.

Maybe I’m crazy, but that sounds pretty dam* good to me. If every company had that return policy, I’d be a very happy man.

Now I have zero affiliation with Greg Minuskin nor do I have personal experience buying from him. However the only real negative I see from this thread is that Greg Minuskin has customers who are very high maintenance.

Now I can appreciate rapport and empathy from businesses. However, I know when or when not to expect it. Buying goods online is not one of those instances. It may be a nice touch, but I don't get angry when Amazon.com doesn't ask me about how my day is going.

Bottom line: you have every right to not be unhappy with your experience and buy from someone else in the future. However, let’s make sure people understand that it was only because you didn’t like the wording of his emails….seems petty, but that’s just me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mmahany For This Useful Post:

ChrisC (November 18th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmahany View Post
    So let’s assess the information in this thread so we can learn what to expect before you buy from him.

What you get:
    -Prompt shipping times
    -Greg also seems to stay current with what his customers are saying by monitoring various web forums.

What you do not get:

Maybe I’m crazy, but that sounds pretty dam* good to me. If every company had that return policy, I’d be a very happy man.

Now I have zero affiliation with Greg Minuskin nor do I have personal experience buying from him. However the only real negative I see from this thread is that Greg Minuskin has customers who are very high maintenance.

Now I can appreciate rapport and empathy from businesses. However, I know when or when not to expect it. Buying goods online is not one of those instances. It may be a nice touch, but I don't get angry when Amazon.com doesn't ask me about how my day is going.

Bottom line: you have every right to not be unhappy with your experience and buy from someone else in the future. However, let’s make sure people understand that it was only because you didn’t like the wording of his emails….seems petty, but that’s just me.
    That's ignoring quite a lot of stuff, like:
    - Misleading item description
    - Shoddy restoration
    - Excessive ego to the point of threatening legal ramifications for online criticism
    - Lack of effort for maintaining relationship with customers
    - Lazy personality with a huge tendency to jump to conclusion (often wrong)
    - Waste of time on the customer's part

I'm sorry if I got spoiled by extremely good customer service offered by people like the Goulets and Brian Smith from Unique Obliques. Brian Smith once sent me detailed picture illustration to help me with adjusting my nib holder. I'd be pretty mad if he told me just return my damn holder for money back if I didn't like the way he set it instead. I'm spending money on a business, I expected to be treated with care and respect. Mr Minuskin gave me none of those.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pluvia For This Useful Post:

Cob (November 27th, 2014), Hawk (November 23rd, 2014), Neo (November 18th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pluvia View Post

What you get:
    -Prompt shipping times

What you do not get:

That's ignoring quite a lot of stuff, like:
    - Misleading item description
    - Shoddy restoration
    - Excessive ego to the point of threatening legal ramifications for online criticism
    - Lack of effort for maintaining relationship with customers
    - Lazy personality with a huge tendency to jump to conclusion (often wrong)
    - Waste of time on the customer's part

I'm sorry if I got spoiled by extremely good customer service offered by people like the Goulets and Brian Smith from Unique Obliques. Brian Smith once sent me detailed picture illustration to help me with adjusting my nib holder. I'd be pretty mad if he told me just return my damn holder for money back if I didn't like the way he set it instead. I'm spending money on a business, I expected to be treated with care and respect. Mr Minuskin gave me none of those.
    It seems we've discovered the fence and have enough information to determine which side each of us falls on. It looks like a good stopping point to me, but if anyone needs to continue the discussion then you're more than welcome to do so.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

alc3261 (November 18th, 2014), ChrisC (November 18th, 2014), Jon Szanto (November 18th, 2014), Neo (November 18th, 2014), pluvia (November 18th, 2014), reprieve (November 18th, 2014), Waski_the_Squirrel (November 18th, 2014)

Thanks

Hang on, hang on.

What you get:
    -Prompt shipping times

What you do not get:

I think that's a superficial conclusion. I've read this thread and the reddit links, and cannot conclude that you're going to get "exactly what you purchased or a full refund. "

You might get an accusation of damaging the pen yourself, and a rundown of 'repairs' that need carried out - at your expense.

I say 'might' because Greg has yet to respond, so I'd rather this thread was left open to give him a chance to clarify some of the points made here.
    Last edited by Flounder; November 18th, 2014 at 04:58 PM. Reason: quote feature use request
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flounder For This Useful Post:

Hawk (November 23rd, 2014), Jon Szanto (November 18th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Slightly off topic but I'm curious about what Diamine told you. I have asked several manufacturers of ink about the formulation and I have always been essentially told 'trade secret' in a very polished manner. Having enough analytical equipment an by disposal to run a small University, I could without a doubt confirm I was just passed off with a BS answer.

Farmboy
    I was quoting directly from the email. They were pretty fast in replying, using their contact page here.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    ...so I'd rather this thread was left open to give him a chance to clarify some of the points made here.
    Never said I was going to close the thread.

Also, please use the quote feature, it makes the post easier to read.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 18th, 2014)

Thanks

Glad to hear it Dan. Ive edited the post above to make use of the quote feature.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Flounder For This Useful Post:

dannzeman (November 18th, 2014)

Thanks

I hate to say this, but after having read the OPs post on Reddit first and then seeing it here, it really feels like a purposeful smear job of Mr. Menuskin.

I've met him a few times, and while not always the nicest personality, it's pretty darn good at what he does and he backs his work.

Rather than smear him on all public channels, why not be responsible and let him know how you feel about the communication and return the pen letting him know that you won't be doing business with him in the future.

After all, we are only seeing one side of the conversation (who knows how many emails truly transpired?)

Just my .02

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markc For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 6th, 2021), Jon Szanto (November 18th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I hate to say this, but after having read the OPs post on Reddit first and then seeing it here, it really feels like a purposeful smear job of Mr. Menuskin.

I've met him a few times, and while not always the nicest personality, it's pretty darn good at what he does and he backs his work.

Rather than smear him on all public channels, why not be responsible and let him know how you feel about the communication and return the pen letting him know that you won't be doing business with him in the future.

After all, we are only seeing one side of the conversation (who knows how many emails truly transpired?)

Just my .02
    I did communicate with him about my disappointment and promise him I would not do business with him again. Didn't take up the refund offer because while I disdain his service, I'm rather fond of that particular pen and willing to spend more money on restoring it.

My posts of course sound like a smear job because they are criticism. While some people might not be too happy with me taking a piss on people they like, I'm quite sure a few others would appreciate my feedback. Should I just send a strongly worded letter to a bad vendor next time and shut up about it then? What then is the purpose of this subforum?

There indeed are a few more emails between the two I posted. I'll paste them below to make everything transparent (a bit too long for screenshot). Mind you, they don't make him look any better.

On Nov 14, 2014, at 07:46, Mark, Minh Bui <xxx@gmail.com> wrote:

Greg,

I'm just wondering if this is normal, that's all. I'm still new to vintage pens so I have no frame of reference. Didn't expect this kind of response though.

Mark

On 2014/11/14, at 8:14, Greg Minuskin <greg@gregminuskin.com> wrote:

Dear Mark,

Yes normal for some vintage pens depending on how the have aged but if you are not at all happy like I said a full no questions refund is an option.

Let me know. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Greg Minuskin
    www.greg@gregminuskin.com
    greg@gregminuskin.com

On Nov 14, 2014, at 7:40 AM, Mark, Minh Bui <xxx@gmail.com> wrote:

Greg,

Thanks, that's all I need to know. I'll keep the offer in mind.

With Best Regards,

Mark

Dear Mark,

Returns are good for about 2 weeks, so let me know by then, thanks!

I informed the second person that was interested in the pen that it might come back to me; they immediately emailed me back and will wait patiently for your decision.

Sincerely,

Greg Minuskin
    greg@gregminuskin.com
    www.gregminuskin.com
    Last edited by pluvia; November 18th, 2014 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I think it is right to raise issues that may be of interest to other potential customers. Knowing what to expect is part of caveat emptor.

I am in a similar position with a restorer - quite well known - who swapped out a good Estie nib for a poor one. Acknowledged it as a simple bench-top error and agreed to send it back. Despite repeated emails requesting the return of my nib it has never been returned. Now I have given the pen away as it was unusable to me. What started out as an apparent mistake is now looking like a minor case of theft. I haven't outed the restorer as I am not sure that it is anyone's best interest to do so, though I am sorely tempted. However, if someone asked me privately whether that particular restorer was worth going to I would have no hesitation in giving the full story.

EDIT:

If the restorer is on these boards and is reading this then SHAME ON YOU!
    You will get no recommendations from me.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; November 18th, 2014 at 09:24 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 6th, 2021)

Thanks

I did communicate with him about my disappointment and promise him I would not do business with him again. Didn't take up the refund offer because while I disdain his service, I'm rather fond of that particular pen and willing to spend more money on restoring it.

My posts of course sound like a smear job because they are criticism. While some people might not be too happy with me taking a piss on people they like, I'm quite sure a few others would appreciate my feedback. Should I just send a strongly worded letter to a bad vendor next time and shut up about it then? What then is the purpose of this subforum?
    I'm not criticizing you for telling people of your poor experience with him, I'm only suggesting that going to numerous outlets to post this issue seems a bit harsher than need be. I have no ball in the game as I've only met him and not had a chance to use his services, but he has a reputation for doing good work and reputation is everything in this business.

What if you were in his shoes? How would you like this handled?

He's offered to take it in return and refund your purchase price. As far as any seller is concerned this is standard operating procedure. By your refusal to return the pen, you are not giving him the chance to make it right.

Frankly, as far I can see, both parties are partially at fault and it's unfair to place all blame on one. He's right that vintage pens pose interesting problems and sometimes it takes a few trips to get the kinks worked out.

Just because you don't like how someone communicates with you, doesn't seem like a valid reason to smear their reputation.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Am I missing something in the most recent email exchange? It seems to me to be polite and business like on both sides.

I just don't get the jump from repeat customer to vitriol that seems to have occurred quickly in this case.

FB

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

We're living in a Yelp world, Farmboy. People play by Yelp's rules now. The anonymity of the glass give strength to the weakest person, and woe be to the vendor who isn't poised, 24 hours a day, to respond to... yelping.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 6th, 2021)

Thanks

What if you were in his shoes? How would you like this handled?

He's offered to take it in return and refund your purchase price. As far as any seller is concerned this is standard operating procedure. By your refusal to return the pen, you are not giving him the chance to make it right.

Frankly, as far I can see, both parties are partially at fault and it's unfair to place all blame on one. He's right that vintage pens pose interesting problems and sometimes it takes a few trips to get the kinks worked out.

Just because you don't like how someone communicates with you, doesn't seem like a valid reason to smear their reputation.
    Idk, "please send the pend back, I'll take a look at it and I'll refund if there's nothing I can do?"

Communication is part of customer service too, and I'm not sure how giving negative feedback on that is "smearing reputation."

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Am I missing something in the most recent email exchange? It seems to me to be polite and business like on both sides.

I just don't get the jump from repeat customer to vitriol that seems to have occurred quickly in this case.

FB
    It's quite civil, though Mr Minuskin established pretty clearly in his emails that he did not need to retain me as a customer. I was rather disappointed and offended. It's pretty hard to stay loyal to a vendor after that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    We're living in a Yelp world, Farmboy. People play by Yelp's rules now. The anonymity of the glass give strength to the weakest person, and woe be to the vendor who isn't poised, 24 hours a day, to respond to... yelping.
    At least Yelp gives the vendor the opportunity to pay them to remove a bad review. :-D

Thanks

Just my .02
    There are indeed two sides to every story, but I do not that that the OP is smearing his reputation. Let's not forget he gave Greg the links so that he could reply if he so desired. It seems there are many forums in the fountain pen world and I've only ever visited two. If this story (and the several others) were not posted on one of those two, I'd have never heard about them. Is the criticism harsh? I don't think so. It's not favorable by any stretch, but as a buyer I expect a whole lot more than snide refund offers.

His apparent gruff personality seems to be well documented by many posters here. This has nothing to do with his ability, but it does speak to his business and how he treats customers, whether he does so knowingly or not. This would not necessarily steer me away as a first time buyer so long as I knew what I was bargaining for ahead of time. However, in conjunction with his unwillingness to look into a customer's problem, I would be extremely hesitant to deal with such a seller.

A responsible restorer in my view should have first offered to look at and rectify the problem. If that does not satisfy, then a refund would be in order. I find it interesting that his refund policy is "about two weeks," with yet another reminder that another buyer is in line. I for one appreciate the feedback. It not only speaks to Greg's business, but also outlines the importance of doing research on any restorer no matter how reputable.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRealScubaSteve For This Useful Post:

Hawk (November 23rd, 2014)