Thread: Happy David. A most uncommon 1930s Sheaffer Balance. I'd been hunting years for one.

Thanks

Default Happy David. A most uncommon 1930s Sheaffer Balance. I'd been hunting years for one.

Sheaffer Balance oversized in Ebonized Pearl Celluloid. Off-catalogue "fish-scale" cap-band (typical catalogued Balance pens with gold-filled cap-band have a single thinner smooth band).

An old tale. Probably more than a decade back, when I was only more casually pursuing the special cap-band Balances, I saw my first "fish-scale" cap-band Balance, the same variant, oversized in Ebonized Pearl. A set. Truly crisp condition. Cost then was prohibitive. More than I'd likely charge even today on my retail site. I should have bought it. Ah well. I already had some of the funky cap-band pens, but I only turned a hard focus on such pens a bit later.

My weird Sheaffer double life. A wee-dabbler at Sheaffer now likely with the most comprehensive collection out there of off-catalogue cap-band Balances. Figure when I began reaching diminshing returns hunting Parker Vacumatics (I do pursue Vacs in completist fashion), I turned the skills hunting Vacs to hunting off-catalogue Balances. One thing led to another...

So, for the last decade I didn't encounter another oversized Ebonized Pearl with this cap-band. At the Ohio Pen Show this month, fellow pen collector Pat Mohan had a spare up for grabs. I guess that means I now know of three of this variant. I bought this one.

Not quite as crisp as the set I'd seen 10-12 years ago, it still is in pretty nice shape. A bit of brassing. Some ambering (the MOP chips look yellow-red instead of green-blue) of the Celluloid.

Still, it brings home a Sheaffer variant I've wanted for a long time.

The four off-catalogue patterned cap-bands found on USA-made Sheaffers. Have seen thousands and thousands of Balances. Have seen perhaps 20 with triple cap-band, 30 with fish-scale. Not at all common.

regards

david
    Last edited by david i; November 19th, 2014 at 07:26 PM.
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

da vinci (November 20th, 2014), dannzeman (November 19th, 2014), fountainpenkid (November 20th, 2014), Hawk (November 22nd, 2014), Jeph (November 20th, 2014), mrcharlie (November 21st, 2014), reprieve (November 19th, 2014), Robert (November 20th, 2014)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Default Re: Happy David. A most uncommon 1930s Sheaffer Balance. I'd been hunting years for

Wow! That fish-scale cap band is stunning. Not to mention the pen itself, an oversized Balance in ebonized pearl, which is a lovely pen even without the rare cap band. Wow!

This is one of my favorites that you've posted about. Thanks for sharing here.

Thanks

Default Re: Happy David. A most uncommon 1930s Sheaffer Balance. I'd been hunting years for

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    Wow! That fish-scale cap band is stunning. Not to mention the pen itself, an oversized Balance in ebonized pearl, which is a lovely pen even without the rare cap band. Wow!

This is one of my favorites that you've posted about. Thanks for sharing here.
    My pleasure. I will have to post image of same pen with typical cap-band, albeit in much nicer condition.

regards

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

Thanks

I like the discoloration. It gives it a sort of urushi like feel.
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.