Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your current favourite FP worth over $100

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

Default Re: Your current favourite FP worth over $100

I don't have a single favorite pen. If I think about which pens I'd put in my "best" group, though, most of them did cost over $100, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Montblanc Noblesse (but that was a used pen so someone might get one for less) Pilot Vanishing Point, Lamy 2000. None cost me less that $90. That's best based on the experience of writing with them. Appearance is not trivial, but it's not the most important factor.

The pens I most regret now are some of the cheaper ones that I got while trying to figure out what I liked. I won't bother with a list, but it includes many of the usual ones which are mentioned when people are giving advice on a good beginner pen. These are pens which are not bad, but they just don't appeal to me since I've tried something better.

On the other hand, I've never hit $200 for a single pen, and plan not to do so. If I can afford, for example, four pens averaging $125, then of course I could have bought a single $500 pen instead. I've already achieved a pretty high level of pen performance with what I've got, however, and spending extra money for any other reason doesn't appeal to me.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

Edison nouveau premiere. The vanishing point should be it but it somehow doesn't quite click for me. (See what I did there?)
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiq View Post
    If you are someone who has a favourite fountain pen that's over $100
    The way this is worded, you might get responses from those who have a favorite from among their >$100 pens, while their overall favorite might be something else.

Another thing to consider; when you pay a lot for a pen, surely something kicks in where you say, I paid this much and by the gods I will like it...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbryal View Post
    If you are someone who has a favourite fountain pen that's over $100
    ...Another thing to consider; when you pay a lot for a pen, surely something kicks in where you say, I paid this much and by the gods I will like it...
    Sadly, no.

Thanks

Orfew, KBeezie, Jar, amk - You guys have some awesome pens.

snedwos - lol

Kaputnik, gbryal, Laura N - You've given me quite a bit to think about.

Thanx for the replies & the posts with pics. I would still like to know what other geek's favourite +$100 FP's are...keep them coming

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbryal View Post
    Another thing to consider; when you pay a lot for a pen, surely something kicks in where you say, I paid this much and by the gods I will like it...
    Not really, if I don't like something, I don't like something. I'm not shy to say it. Everything is returnable to some extent, and I've never been afraid to say I hated something that I initially had high expectations for.

Some of the people who really force themselves to like something primarily on what they paid for it are the kind of folks who are afraid of being seen as making poor choices or more protective of their status.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

I'm to where nothing stays in my collection long if I couldn't be marooned on a desert island with it as my only pen; it doesn't seem to have anything to do with price. In that sense, all of my pens are my favorite.

"I would still like to know what other geek's favourite +$100 FP's are"

Edison Pearl--Flecked Tortise/black
    Platinum Koi
    Delta Dolce Vita
    Sheaffer Legacy Fantasy--orange/black
    Edison Nouveau Premiere--Cherry Blossom
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

GING GING (November 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Pilot VP

Sailor realo

Parker duofold (30's, 50's, 00's).

Actually, this leaves out pens that are favorites, like vacs and touchdowns.

Current favorite still the realo, but it's a rotating spot.
    Last edited by LagNut; November 21st, 2014 at 09:11 AM.
    Clearly they had a higher and more comprehensive conception of the duties of society toward it's members than had the lawgivers of Europe of the time, and they imposed obligations upon it that were shirked elsewhere... But it is the provisions for public education which, from the very first, throw into the clearest relief the originality of American civilization.

Alexis de Tocqeuville "Democracy in America" (George Lawrence Translation)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty888 View Post
    Personally they don't write better initially, Pilot especially. I bought a custom heritage 92. No good out of the box. Sailor black luster no good. Pilot custom 74 no good. Sailo Sapporo slim. Good.

I don't think the price says anything about how good the nib is initially. I was shocked by how much I loved my visconti straight away.

If you get to test a Mont Blanc they write well out of the box.

I was talking to my partner about this. If you had $1500 to spend on fountain pens what would you do?

For me it's 3 $500 pens or 2 $750 pens. For others here it's 50 $30 pens. For me I like to use all my pens and now I'm building my dream collection. 7 pens total. Each for own reasons. Some people prefer using a pen they haven't inked for months if not years.

That is.
    Mb 149 BB
    Mn 146 platinum F
    Pelikan m805 M
    Edison demonstrator F nib
    Sailor 1911 realo rhodium

To go with my
    Visconti Wall Street limited edition M
    Sailor Sapporo slim EF

Will sell my
    Custom 74 F
    Custom heritage 92 B
    1911M with zoom nib
    I like the 1500 dollar question. I'd buy one awesome pen

Banned
    Thanks

While it's true that expensive doesn't always mean better; most of the the time, it does.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GING GING View Post
    While it's true that expensive doesn't always mean better; most of the the time, it does.
    Not really a question of better, but more a question of personal preference. Since it wasn't what's your best FP, but rather what's your favorite. A pen could be top of it's class in nearly every respect, but might not fit my personal preference.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

My mothers 1st quarter 1941 Parker "51" with the Sterling cap and aluminum jewels. She would put the cap on her finger and both I (rumor only and since I was the eldest son and so perfect highly unlikely) and my younger post war model brother teethed on it.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (November 20th, 2014), dannzeman (November 23rd, 2014), Hawk (November 23rd, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Many of my favorite pens are vintage pens that actually didn't cost me more than $100 because I restored them myself, but the following pens stand out as pens that did cost me more than $100 and which I ink up and take with me frequently. All of them were bought used except for one of my two Poseidon Magnums (purchased new from Richard Binder a few years back).

Pelikan M800 -- I like it because it seems to fit my hand very well, especially the grip section. It is large in size but not too large like the MB 149 (which feels OK to write with but seems huge in my shirt pocket). The M800 feels solid but is not too heavy.

Montblanc 146 -- I like it because of the classic lines and look, and like the Pelikan, it just feels right in my hand.

Bexley Poseidon Magnum with an 18K nib-- Built like a tank. A bit bigger than the Pelikan and MB 146 (the grip is almost MB 149 size), but very comfortable, and nicely compact when capped.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

For moi, in no particular order:
    • Pretty much any Pilot/Namiki pen (the nibs!).
    • My Edisons.
    • Danitrio Sho-Hakuku.
    • My Newton Shinobi.

From the 1913 Webster's Revised Unabridged:
    Fa"vor*ite (?), n. [OF. favorit favored, F. favori, fem. favorite, p.p. of OF. favorir, cf. It. favorito, frm. favorita, fr. favorire to favor. See Favor.]

1. A person or thing regarded with peculiar favor; one treated with partiality; one preferred above others; especially, one unduly loved, trusted, and enriched with favors by a person of high rank or authority.

Committing to a wicked favorite All public cares. Milton.
    2. pl. Short curls dangling over the temples; -- fashionable in the reign of Charles II. [Obs.] Farquhar.

3. (Sporting) The competitor (as a horse in a race) that is judged most likely to win; the competitor standing highest in the betting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Not really a question of better, but more a question of personal preference. Since it wasn't what's your best FP, but rather what's your favorite. A pen could be top of it's class in nearly every respect, but might not fit my personal preference.
    Exactly...I'm looking for the one pen you would choose to use over every other pen ( your precious that cost +$100...lol)

I don't think the price says anything about how good the nib is initially. I was shocked by how much I loved my visconti straight away.

To go with my
    Sailor Sapporo slim EF

The Visconti Wall Streets look very nice...saving for one of these will be quite a while

Thanks

Exactly...I'm looking for the one pen you would choose to use over every other pen ( your precious that cost +$100...lol)

To go with my
    Sailor Sapporo slim EF

The Visconti Wall Streets look very nice...saving for one of these will be quite a while
    You must get the limited edition though with palladium nib ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416582267.638305.jpg

Thanks

You must get the limited edition though with palladium nib ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416582267.638305.jpg
    Is that the only difference? I think I saw a comparison thread about it somewhere, I must go check it out

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

One I'm using today... a Sheaffer Legacy Heritage Sterling silver Barleycorn.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (November 22nd, 2014), dannzeman (November 23rd, 2014), picautomaton (November 23rd, 2014)

Banned
    Thanks

To go with my
    Sailor Sapporo slim EF

It was a side statement. If you're not familiar with what a side statement is, then let me know, and I'll be happy to explain it to you. I made that statement because someone else, in their comment mentioned that expensive doesn't always mean better.
    Hence, my statement.

Thanks

...It was a side statement. If you're not familiar with what a side statement is, then let me know, and I'll be happy to explain it to you. I made that statement because someone else, in their comment mentioned that expensive doesn't always mean better.
    Hence, my statement.
    Ok no worries sorry if I offended you GING GING.

I respect that everyone has their own opinions, I only explained what I was looking for in my original post...seeing that some people were getting confused by my wording...just happened to quote the whole of KBeezie's post.

Thank you for your input tho...I appreciate everyone's post/posts.