Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your current favourite FP worth over $100

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Default Re: Your current favourite FP worth over $100

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty888 View Post
    You must get the limited edition though with palladium nib
    Is that the only difference? I think I saw a comparison thread about it somewhere, I must go check it out
    The LE version of the Wall Street is a double reservoir power filler and has an ink window. The regular edition is a cartridge/converter filler and has no ink window. The regular edition has a metal section. The LE has a celluloid section. Both versions have palladium nibs.

There's a nice review of the standard Wall Street by our own drgoretex.

I have the LE version, in red, which I prefer because of the power filler and the celluloid section. But the standard edition is a beautiful pen, too, and the c/c filling system is simpler to clean and easier to maintain.

Thanks

To answer the original question, my own favorite $100+ pens are:

Lamy 2000
    Lamy Studio with a gold nib
    Pelikan 400NN in tortoise
    Parker Vacumatic Major in green
    Nakaya Naka-ai Writer in kuro-tamenuri
    Nakaya Piccolo
    Pilot Falcon
    Pilot Custom 823
    Edison Nouveau Premiere

Okay, I have a lot of favorite pens…

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post

Lamy 2000
    Nakaya Piccolo
    Pilot Falcon
    Pilot Custom 823
    Edison Nouveau Premiere

Does this mean the Lamy 2000 is at the top of the list? If not, which one of those pens are?

Also, I'll check out the link you posted, thanx.

Thanks

Lamy 2000
    Nakaya Piccolo
    Pilot Falcon
    Pilot Custom 823
    Edison Nouveau Premiere

Does this mean the Lamy 2000 is at the top of the list? If not, which one of those pens are?

Also, I'll check out the link you posted, thanx.
    They're all my favorites, in no particular order. If I had to choose a favorite favorite (ha ha), I'd pick one of the Nakayas without question. But, honestly, the Lamy 2000 is not too far behind--I love the convenience of the snap cap and the minimalist styling and the piston filler--and it's almost always in my daily carry pen case.

Thanks

They're all my favorites, in no particular order. If I had to choose a favorite favorite (ha ha), I'd pick one of the Nakayas without question. But, honestly, the Lamy 2000 is not too far behind--I love the convenience of the snap cap and the minimalist styling and the piston filler--and it's almost always in my daily carry pen case.
    I've read a few reviews & some new addition threads of Nakaya pens...what about this one do you like? Is it the lost expensive one of the lot?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GING GING View Post
    ...It was a side statement. If you're not familiar with what a side statement is, then let me know, and I'll be happy to explain it to you. I made that statement because someone else, in their comment mentioned that expensive doesn't always mean better.
    Hence, my statement.
    Ok no worries sorry if I offended you GING GING.

I respect that everyone has their own opinions, I only explained what I was looking for in my original post...seeing that some people were getting confused by my wording...just happened to quote the whole of KBeezie's post.

Thank you for your input tho...I appreciate everyone's post/posts.
    Hey Sadiq. It's taken me several minutes to figure out why you thought you offended me. I was replying to Rusty 888 and one of your comments got caught up in the quote. I'm sorry about the confusion. I think you started a great thread, you haven't said anything offensive.

Thanks

Hey Sadiq. It's taken me several minutes to figure out why you thought you offended me. I was replying to Rusty 888 and one of your comments got caught up in the quote. I'm sorry about the confusion. I think you started a great thread, you haven't said anything offensive.
    Ok cool...

...now let's get back to these awesome pens

Thanks

I like the 1500 dollar question. I'd buy one awesome pen
    Hi GING GING, I've read thru some of the other posts & have just realised that you haven't posted your favourite pen...is there perhaps a single pen that stands out of your collection worth over $100? I'm interested to know. Could it be that the one pen you love to use is worth under $100

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi guys & gals,

I just completed a survey on FPN about fountain pen usage. Most of the results were kinda interesting. One that stood out was that more than 50% of people who completed the survey had a favourite everyday fountain pen worth over $100.

If you are someone who has a favourite fountain pen that's over $100, can you please tell what it is, how much they cost & why you like the pen?

I know that one doesn't have to fork out tons of cash for a decent fountain pen. I find that sometimes paying more for something doesn't mean it's better than one that costs less. However, I've also come across certain things in life, which if you opted for the cheaper option, the unreliability would outweigh just buying the more expensive item.

So does it hold true that the more expensive fountain pens are better?
    My favorite pen jumps back and forth between a Pilot Custom 823 and a Pilot Justus 95. Of course, a Noodler's Konrad is right up there also, so make of that what you will.

There are perks to expensive pens, but I think that you go get some benefits as you go up in price, but there are diminishing returns with increased price.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waski_the_Squirrel View Post
    ...My favorite pen jumps back and forth between a Pilot Custom 823 and a Pilot Justus 95. Of course, a Noodler's Konrad is right up there also, so make of that what you will.

There are perks to expensive pens, but I think that you go get some benefits as you go up in price, but there are diminishing returns with increased price.
    The Justus, that's the one with the adjustable nib hey...how do you find it compared to other flex pens, I've read some mixed reviews about the way they flex?

Talking about the Noodlers pens...I am still waiting to read reviews on the Neponset music nib pens. I've seen sbrebrown's review, but would like to see what the everyday geek thinks about them (btw another <$100 pen)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

me fave's going to be either my new SEF Falcon or my EF Lamy 2000. Damn you Massdrop!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuve104740
    me fave's going to be either my new SEF Falcon or my EF Lamy 2000. Damn you Massdrop!
    Hi manoeuvre, does your falcon have the stock nib or have you sent it to a nib meister for some custom work? Do you have any other flex pens to compare it to?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

...My favorite pen jumps back and forth between a Pilot Custom 823 and a Pilot Justus 95. Of course, a Noodler's Konrad is right up there also, so make of that what you will.

The Justus, that's the one with the adjustable nib hey...how do you find it compared to other flex pens, I've read some mixed reviews about the way they flex?

Talking about the Noodlers pens...I am still waiting to read reviews on the Neponset music nib pens. I've seen sbrebrown's review, but would like to see what the everyday geek thinks about them (btw another <$100 pen)
    Here's one review I found pretty enlightening.

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

I like the Justus, but I find the Noodler's Konrad more flexible. That said, The Justus flexes more easily as I write, and how often does one really need to fully flex a pen? I suppose people will say that the Justus is not a flex pen, but it more that adequately serves my needs. I like it a lot.

I actually got one of the Neponsets as a result of the Noodler's ink contest. I probably came in last place, but at least I entered. The pen flexes a bit more than a regular flex nib, and writes a wider line when not flexed. I haven't had an issue with writing with it at all. The thing just works.

However, I won't be buying another one. I just don't find much use for it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Here's one review I found pretty enlightening.
    Thank you or the link Laura, will check it out

I like the Justus, but I find the Noodler's Konrad more flexible. That said, The Justus flexes more easily as I write, and how often does one really need to fully flex a pen? I suppose people will say that the Justus is not a flex pen, but it more that adequately serves my needs. I like it a lot.

I actually got one of the Neponsets as a result of the Noodler's ink contest. I probably came in last place, but at least I entered. The pen flexes a bit more than a regular flex nib, and writes a wider line when not flexed. I haven't had an issue with writing with it at all. The thing just works.

However, I won't be buying another one. I just don't find much use for it.
    I love the nib on the Justus...plus it's a lot cheaper than some other pens mentioned in this thread. Would definitely make the save a shorter one

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Hi manoeuvre, does your falcon have the stock nib or have you sent it to a nib meister for some custom work? Do you have any other flex pens to compare it to?
    I have 2 falcons with stock nibs. They are soft, not really flexy. I sprung one once when I (or someone I lent it to briefly) pushed it too hard.

I'd say the Falcons flex as much or less than Noodler's and FPR flex pens I've owned. For real flex you'll need a customized nib or go vintage. My best flex nib is on a Parkridge I picked up for $33 at a pen show.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    I have 2 falcons with stock nibs. They are soft, not really flexy. I sprung one once when I (or someone I lent it to briefly) pushed it too hard.

I'd say the Falcons flex as much or less than Noodler's and FPR flex pens I've owned. For real flex you'll need a customized nib or go vintage. My best flex nib is on a Parkridge I picked up for $33 at a pen show.
    I've noticed it seems kind of hard to spring them when you're using the normal writing angle, since the feed hits the paper before you can spring it too much. But if you're one of those people who write near vertical, much easier to spring or damage.

Thanks

I for one really didn't need to hear rave reviews of the Justus and Falcon. I have been able to convince myself there was "nothing to see here. Move along."

Much harder now. Dammit!
    Clearly they had a higher and more comprehensive conception of the duties of society toward it's members than had the lawgivers of Europe of the time, and they imposed obligations upon it that were shirked elsewhere... But it is the provisions for public education which, from the very first, throw into the clearest relief the originality of American civilization.

Alexis de Tocqeuville "Democracy in America" (George Lawrence Translation)

Banned
    Thanks

Attachment 15008

Out of the pens I have inked up right now I'd have to say the visconti blue typhoon wins in both catogories. The nib is noticeably smoother than the rest of these pens. It also looks the best.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

I like lots of pens worth in excess of $100 but I don't use them everyday.

So the ones that are or have been in rotation recently, and I really like are:

Pelikan m101 lizard, B nib

Yard o Led Retro Grande, M nib

Sterling Silver Sheaffer Targa, factory stub

Lamy 2k, M nib

MB 144, 1x B nib, 1 x BB nib