Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your current favourite FP worth over $100

Thanks

Default Your current favourite FP worth over $100

Hi guys & gals,

I just completed a survey on FPN about fountain pen usage. Most of the results were kinda interesting. One that stood out was that more than 50% of people who completed the survey had a favourite everyday fountain pen worth over $100.

If you are someone who has a favourite fountain pen that's over $100, can you please tell what it is, how much they cost & why you like the pen? (I need to know the one pen that stands out of the crowd)

I know that one doesn't have to fork out tons of cash for a decent fountain pen. I find that sometimes paying more for something doesn't mean it's better than one that costs less. However, I've also come across certain things in life, which if you opted for the cheaper option, the unreliability would outweigh just buying the more expensive item.

So does it hold true that the more expensive fountain pens are better?
    Last edited by Sadiq; November 24th, 2014 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Default Re: Your current favourite FP worth over $100

I don't think expensive is better, nor do I have a favourite pen; I have a wide, eclectic mix (both modern and vintage) and like to choose between them, depending on my mood. For example, two pens that I currently love using are a Pelikan M250 Amber demonstrator, with a Binderized semi-flexi EF nib, that cost me well over £140 GBP, and an unbranded English vintage lever-fill pen, with a lovely, soft Warranted 14ct nib; a super-little writer, and cost me £12 from Deb at Goodwriters.

Thanks

Out of all the fountain pens I've had and everyone has been over this value besides a Lamy safari.

My favourite is the visconti Wall Street Limited edition.

Why? I love the look, the double reservoir and the nib.

As for the price. U.S. Over 700.

Thanks

My favorite is my Edison Hudson in Ruby with F steel nib. It's simple, it's the right size for my hand, the Binderized nib is well-adjusted, I like the color, it's well-supported and uses standard parts, I can buy new nibs for it. It cost $150. I have less expensive pens that write as well or are aesthetically as nice, but I guess I am willing to pay extra for a living product made by a small operation in my own country and support that kind of effort. The videos of Brian's operation are what sold me in the end.

The only other pen I have that cost that much is my Lamy 2000, which I haven't really bonded with yet. My Waterman 94 might be worth over $100, but I didn't buy it. That one would still come in second to the Hudson, since I just use the Hudson more. Next year I plan to buy a Bexley or a Franklin-Christoph, or maybe another Edison, we'll see; most of what I am looking at now are ~150 American pens.

Thanks

Thanx for the replies migo984, rusty888 & gbryal.

Tell me, when paying over $100 & in some cases well over...are these pens awesome writers right out the box? No tinkering needed? Aside from gbryal, I've read countless times of people getting their expensive pen's nibs worked on even before they ink them up. Does this not defeat the purpose of paying a premium?

Just as a side note - my collection is still at 4 pens, nothing fancy. However, I've been contemplating getting a few different cheaper pens over the next year...the survey I did made me think that maybe I should save up & buy 1 more expensive pen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    ..., and an unbranded English vintage lever-fill pen, with a lovely, soft Warranted 14ct nib; a super-little writer, and cost me £12 from Deb at Goodwriters.
    I'm going to have a look at Goodwriter's pens. Thanx migo.

Thanks

Personally they don't write better initially, Pilot especially. I bought a custom heritage 92. No good out of the box. Sailor black luster no good. Pilot custom 74 no good. Sailo Sapporo slim. Good.

I don't think the price says anything about how good the nib is initially. I was shocked by how much I loved my visconti straight away.

If you get to test a Mont Blanc they write well out of the box.

I was talking to my partner about this. If you had $1500 to spend on fountain pens what would you do?

For me it's 3 $500 pens or 2 $750 pens. For others here it's 50 $30 pens. For me I like to use all my pens and now I'm building my dream collection. 7 pens total. Each for own reasons. Some people prefer using a pen they haven't inked for months if not years.

That is.
    Mb 149 BB
    Mn 146 platinum F
    Pelikan m805 M
    Edison demonstrator F nib
    Sailor 1911 realo rhodium

To go with my
    Visconti Wall Street limited edition M
    Sailor Sapporo slim EF

Will sell my
    Custom 74 F
    Custom heritage 92 B
    1911M with zoom nib

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty888 For This Useful Post:

GING GING (November 20th, 2014)

Thanks

There is one name I trust the artisan mark of Brian Grey aka Edison Pens Company

I have Viscounti that cost more that are much more fiddly. Never had a nib come loose on an Edison pen
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

[QUOTE=Rusty888;104478]Personally they don't write better initially, Pilot especially. I bought a custom heritage 92. No good out of the box. Pilot custom 74 no good.

I have had exactly the same experience with the same 2 models. How much of a co-incidence is that?

I have a couple of Montblancs and they wrote well straight out of the box. I expect that of the brand though.

I also have a couple of cheap Parker 45's, and Waterman Phileas pens that wrote well out of the box although they weren't new when I received them. The Phileas's write even better now, because they have had their nibs exchanged for L'Etalon gold nibs.
    Last edited by Chrissy; November 20th, 2014 at 06:42 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiq View Post

Tell me, when paying over $100 & in some cases well over...are these pens awesome writers right out the box? No tinkering needed? Aside from gbryal, I've read countless times of people getting their expensive pen's nibs worked on even before they ink them up. Does this not defeat the purpose of paying a premium?

Just as a side note - my collection is still at 4 pens, nothing fancy. However, I've been contemplating getting a few different cheaper pens over the next year...the survey I did made me think that maybe I should save up & buy 1 more expensive pen.
    Not all expensive pens are awesome writers out of the box, for every person. Everyone is different, writes differently and likes different things. So whether expensive or cheap, the pen may not suit you right out of the box.

Here's an example: a friend and I traded a few pens, both stubs, I think. My favorite writer he needed to adjust for his hand; the one I wanted to adjust he loved as is.

I think if you ask most people who've been at it a while, and so have the benefit of hindsight, most would tell you that it's probably better to save up and buy one expensive pen than to buy a bunch of cheaper pens. But that assumes that you know exactly what you want. If you don't, then buying and using cheap pens is a learning experience to help you dial in on what you like.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (November 29th, 2014)

Thanks

On my side I have no hesitation: MB 149 LeGrande 90th Anniversary OBB with MB Permanents Grey ink. It must be this one as it is the only pen which has been on my current pens wallet for over 6 monts!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

"worth" over 100$? Or what I paid over 100$ for?

Because I got a few for the first question, but I don't have any for the latter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post

Because I got a few for the first question, but I don't have any for the latter.
    Hi KBeezie Are any one of those worth over $100 a favourite?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    I think if you ask most people who've been at it a while, and so have the benefit of hindsight, most would tell you that it's probably better to save up and buy one expensive pen than to buy a bunch of cheaper pens. But that assumes that you know exactly what you want. If you don't, then buying and using cheap pens is a learning experience to help you dial in on what you like.
    That's an interesting point you make Laura. Personally I'm not particularly crazy about owning tons of pens, one pens that performs well constantly will do I guess that's a bit much to ask, seeing that everyone wants the perfect pen.

@ Chrissy - my favourite pen currently is a Parker 45. That said, it still gives me a bit of issues now & then, luckily not affecting my opinion about it.

Thanks

My favourite at the moment is a Montblanc Heritage 1912. It was a great writer out of the box. For myself I would rather have a few pens that I constantly use rather than many that never get inked. I sold 20 MBs at the recent Scriptus pen show in Toronto and could not be happier. ( I still have about 18 MBs left) It was a good feeling that so many excellent pens would soon have a home where they would get used. I have stopped collecting pens for the sake of collecting them. I am just sticking with pens that I really like. This does not mean I will not buy another pen, I just did as a matter of fact, but I am much more choosy than I used to be.

I have tried several different models of cheaper pens (under $100) and have never been satisfied with any of them. It is of course quite possible that I simply have not found the right cheap pen. However, I have found it is not worth my time to bother searching anymore. My expensive pens have never let me down, so at least for now I will stick with them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post

Hi KBeezie Are any one of those worth over $100 a favourite?
    Well from a previous thread of mine (ie: 9 months later), my top 5 were listed as (linking pictures so you visual representation of mine):

Of the list above The Murex and Pelikan M250 would be over $100 (Murex anywhere from $150 to $300 depending on which Nation you buy in, and M250 probably around $200-300 depending on nib/condition).
    The Montblanc 225 would probably be around $125-140 in excellent condition, closer to $80-100 with some wear. Got mine around $90 shipped from Japan (minus a $15 refund because it wasn't cleaned like the seller said). The Elites and Tucky are definitely under $100, the Elites were $25 and $36 shipped from Japan, the Tucky ran me about $80 to buy on ebay and to fully restore it.

But the first three (Murex, M250, and MB225) are kind of tied at the top there, depending on the trait I'm desiring for the day. But the Murex is probably top of the list not only because it's sleek, a little piece of japanese history and very very fine writing, but because it's also pretty easy to disassemble and clean:

But you probably noticed that all the pens I listed in the top five are in some way vintage.

The only modern pens I have above a $100 value currently in my collection (I've had others like pair of Platinum Century 3776, and Pilot Vanishing Point), would be Lamy 2000 w/ 14K EF, and the Parker Ellipse (not vintage, but not made anymore, it only lasted from 2000-2002, originally around $150 I think, but can sell for $200+ now). But neither are in my top 5.

The Taccia Momenta I have was originally an $80-ish pen, but when they do pop up on eBay and such then tend to go for over $100. Not in my top 5, but pretty close. I currently have it fitted with a Masuyama Needlepoint nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

I can't name a favorite pen or even favorite brand but do own a fair number of over $100.00 pens. Probably not hundreds of them but maybe close.

BUT, while I hear constant stories of "pens not working right out of the box" my experience has been just the opposite. That may well be the result of experience though. I've been using fountain pens almost exclusively for over a half century. I understand that each pen will be slightly different and while the pen itself is not that adaptable, I am. I simply change the way I use that pen to suit its characteristics. This has become so ingrained that I do not even think about it; I just pick up a pen I may not have used in decades and within a paragraph or two we mesh like that old best friend where you just pick up a conversation that began 10 years earlier.

Of the hundreds of pens I've accumulated over the years I can remember less than a half dozen that I have felt needed work or adjustment.

So maybe you might enjoy a short gallery of some pens I really really like.

This is an xtra-large size ST Dupont Vertigo. It's probably about a thousand dollar pen today. The lighter is likely about the same relative price.

I like it for several reasons; the attention to detail, the way it caps and uncaps that is actually sensual in both feel and sound and of course the amazing hand done chinese laque work.

Here is a closer look at that, note each color is a series of layers built up by hand and cured between each layer.

a Montegrappa 80th. Anniversary. They seem to be selling between $1500-3000.00 today.

Again, beside the fact it's another great writer I love the attention to detail and the low relief carving of the solid Sterling silver.

A Sheaffer Jim Gaston Cobalt Blue. There are only about 100 of these so they don't come up very often. The last I saw was selling for about $600.00 IIRC.

My tiny Yard-o-Led Viceroy Victorian pocket pen. They seem to be selling for around $400.00 these days.

This is a really little pen but all of the gullioché and repoussé work was done by hand by a master craftsman.

and with its Big Brother

I hope you enjoy this tour.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (November 20th, 2014), gbryal (November 20th, 2014), KBeezie (November 20th, 2014), rgperedo (November 23rd, 2014), RuiFromUK (November 20th, 2014), Scrawler (November 29th, 2014)

Thanks

Because I bought mine from RichardsPens, it was wet-tuned by him like every pen he sells. Production Edisons are dry-tuned by Brian Gray or his employees. Signature Edisons are wet-tuned. Barring some difference in preference and expectations or something getting knocked out in shipping, it should write out of the box.

I have nearly 70 pens now, like I say, only 2 over $100. In my opinion, if you like your pens, and don't see what all the fuss is about, don't buy a $100+ pen just to experience this sublime experience that, when reading forums and reviews, it seems like a certain amount of money can buy. Especially if you can't try pens where you are, don't believe that a certain amount of money will get you a pen that writes better than what you have. Buy a more expensive pen if you have the means and it's what you want.
    Last edited by gbryal; November 20th, 2014 at 08:28 AM.

Thanks

I don't have many pens above that level in my collection, or certainly not that I paid over $100 for.

My standout would be my Lamy 2000s. I have one in particular with a broad, very wet nib, that is I think my favourite pen ever. I love it to bits. It is super comfortable, warm in my hand, holds a whole load of ink, and oh, I love it. I prefer the Makrolon to the more expensive stainless versions (I have both, the limited edition and the currently available 2000M).

Also the Lamy Accent Brilliant - a nice pen with a soft and springy gold nib that surprised me on the upside.

Lamy gives you a gold nib at a comparatively low price point compared to many other manufacturers. And terrific quality (though I hear some nibs don't work out of the box I've never had a problem).

My Edisons have been well worth that money. I'm very pleased with all my Edisons (though I have one nib being tinkered with at the moment, as while it's a good writer it's not a superb one). Currently have a Collier and a Herald on the desk - lovely pens, with the right mix of outrageous acrylic and simple furnishings and style, and also a good size and weight for comfortable writing. But I don't *love* them like I love my Lamy.

Thanks

The nice thing about saving up for 1 expensive pen is it will slow you down. Take your time and find a way to try some pens without buying a lot of stuff you can't return or easily sell for near what you paid. You will learn a lot from accumulating (and fixing) cheap pens but you will also end up spending more than the $100 that seems like an obstacle right now. While I caution against trying to buy quality for money, I don't think your plan is a bad one. For me, a few less expensive pens, a vintage pen, and something well-made, modern, and supported would make a good set of pens that should satisfy your needs, if your needs are just about writing and enjoying what you have.

Note that with some expensive pens, you can run into trouble if you aren't looking ahead; expensive pens can have expensive repair or maintenance costs. Some pens need to be sent to their home country for repair and that can take months. Pens that cost several hundred dollars don't necessarily retain their value; inking them is like driving a car off the lot. Some do appreciate. Also, where psychologically you are prepared to smooth the nib on your Hero yourself, you might not be able to talk yourself into it with a Delta, and will end up paying someone, so put that in your calculations.