Thread: A quick question.

Thanks

Default A quick question.

Is it ok to mix inks if they are the same brand? I saw a Red I really liked and have been trying to get something similar. I bought some momiji iroshizuku and even some Red Dragon Diamine, but don't like either on paper. In fact the Red Dragon is like a brown to me, and the momiji is to light.

Can I darken the momiji perhaps? Is it considered ok to do that? I mean my inks never last long in my pens because I have mostly flex nibs that are used. So it's not like I would leave an ink in a pen for more than a week.

Any hints on the best way to do it if it's ok and any gotcha's I should look out for? Other than the obvious.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Default Re: A quick question.

It's unclear what will happen, even if you mix inks of the same brand unless the inks are advertised to be mixable (e.g. Platinum "mix-free"). It often works just fine, however. I have a stable 2:1 mix of Pilot/Namiki Blue and Noodler's Midway Blue that I made quite a long time ago and bottled. Standard advice, however, is to mix small quantities in a sample vial (or any other vial, of course). Wait 24 hours to see what happens. If it bubbles and/or drops a precipitate, then don't use the mix. If it seems stable, then mix and use as you see fit.
    --
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Sure but it's probably a good idea to let the mixture sit for a little before putting it into a pen.

I tend to mix the inks in a sample vial, then experiment with the proportions by testing with a dip pen. Then I leave it in the capped vial for a day or two to make sure it's stable. Some inks don't mix well with others. Just keep notes so you remember the proportions.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Yup, I mix in a sample vial and let it sit. If it still looks like ink the next day then I'll try it in a pen. I've mixed various of the Iroshizuki inks together with no ill effects and some very nice colors as a result. Have not tried mixing Diamine. (I do test the colors as I mix with a dip pen so I can see how it is progressing. Then do the let it sit once I'm happy with the color.)

Mixing is fun, messy and a touch of mad scientist, but fun!
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Thanks everyone.... I will try.... I am going to use the same brands and see how I get on with that. I can put in my Ackerman to start, can put paint in that and it will write :-)

Thanks Phil.