Thread: Picked Up This 1995 Yellow Cab Skyline In A Trade.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Picked Up This 1995 Yellow Cab Skyline In A Trade.

My new 1995 Wahl-Eversharp Skyline, Yellow Cab Edition (nope, don't got the box or tax cab, just the pen). Has a 14K Broad nib on it, which to me write more like a medium, similar to the 14K Medium on my Pelikan M250.

This plus a spare #4 14K nib, was a trade for two of my 'user grade' vintage pens that were restored to writing condition. A Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral (Burgundy, 14K Fine), and an Eversharp Skyline (40s, Normal size, 14K Fine, cap replaced with a non-original but pretty cap). The I got along with Skyline unfortunately doesn't fit my BCHR pen (too short, thin, and narrow), but may be good to keep on hand if I find a pen with a mangled nib that can take it.

The pen is certainly interesting to look at. The cap's construction seems to be nearly identical to how the 40s Skylines are assembled right down to the tight metal insert on the derby cap. The nib was a little annoying at first, had sort of a baby-bottom behavior of not quite getting ink down onto the paper with the first light touch, despite the tipping seeming perfectly symmetrical at all angles under the 60x loupe (a little tuning with micro-mesh and mylar fixed that up after I verified alignment and other factors).

There is small crack on the barrel, I've identified probably why it's there (the converter pulls out, someone may have thought it twists and forced it to the left against the notch). Hardly noticeable once I got it cleaned in the ultrasonic, which I also did for the nib/feed just in case.

It will take a long standard international cartridge, the bottom of the cartridge is a little snug in the end cap (mostly from the air compressing when you push it down the end cap). But goes in fine, and when you unscrew the end cap it doesn't pull the cartridge from the barrel. I doubt it would take any other converter on account of needing that 'notch' to keep the converter itself from rotating when filling (it'd be nice to be able to actually 'see' it filling).

Now I just need a post-2013 Skyline for comparison (just not at the $200 price lol). I still have my Eversharp Skyline Demi with the Army-Navy Wide-band Derby Cap.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: Picked Up This 1995 Yellow Cab Skyline In A Trade.

This brand lay fallow for many years, handed off by Parker after they bought it to a couple of other companies, pretty much 2nd tier stuff. The vintage Skylines you have, not to mention the current W-E pens, are in a totally different league. Interesting to see, though. If you don't want to pop for one of the newer ones, you ought to track down a full-size vintage Skyline (optimally an Executive, but those are harder to come by). The balance is a lot nicer than the demi, unless you have very small hands.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    This brand lay fallow for many years, handed off by Parker after they bought it to a couple of other companies, pretty much 2nd tier stuff. The vintage Skylines you have, not to mention the current W-E pens, are in a totally different league. Interesting to see, though. If you don't want to pop for one of the newer ones, you ought to track down a full-size vintage Skyline (optimally an Executive, but those are harder to come by). The balance is a lot nicer than the demi, unless you have very small hands.
    :P Did you read the second paragraph under the capped picture where I said a 40s full size skyline was one of the ones I traded for this (though it was a bit of a beat up shape with a self-restored replacement cap).

The full size I had before had roughly the same size (ie: Fine) nib as the one on my Demi and the goal was to trade some pens for larger nib size. I thought this would be a nice touch to add. It's not bad, but like you said, not of the same league. Dollar-for-Dollar wise it was a pretty fair trade given the condition (working 'user grade' is what I would have called both) of both sides.

My Demi is however much nicer:

:P So yea I've tried both, and the Demi is fine in my hands, they're about the same between the full and demi size for me as far as comfort goes.

Thanks

I'm glad that both of them fit your hand well; the Demis, for me, are a bit small.
    Yes, I missed that you had traded the full size Skyline.
    Your posts can sometimes contain so much text and and so many visuals that eyes glaze over.
    Please stop sticking your tongue out when people make comments.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I'm glad that both of them fit your hand well; the Demis, for me, are a bit small.
    Yes, I missed that you had traded the full size Skyline.
    Your posts can sometimes contain so much text and and so many visuals that eyes glaze over.
    Please stop sticking your tongue out when people make comments.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!
    Thus why I use paragraphs and break it up unlike some people.

By the way. The Executive is just a bigger pen, but with same size sac, correct?
    Last edited by KBeezie; November 26th, 2014 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks

I asked you nicely to not stick your tongue out. I have no idea about the sac size.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Skyline Executives take a size 18S sac. And I too am in search of an Exec, thought I found one but it turned out to be a slightly larger Standard with a weird sized cap.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AZBennett For This Useful Post:

KBeezie (November 27th, 2014)