Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boxes

Thanks
    Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,748 Posts

I'm uncertain whether a box adds to the value of a mid-level pen but it looks nice for the new owner AND adds a layer of damage protection for shipping.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

One thing in pen collecting that I can never get my head round happens with these limited edition Mont Blancs is that people buy them and never even take the plastic wrap off them. To me those people are not pen collectors or enthusiasts but merely investors and the pen is just like a stock trade to them.. I think that is rather sad!
    Interesting opinion and perspective.

I'm a collector, maker, user, and sometimes a reseller of what I've acquired as a collector. I have too many to use all of them on any reasonable basis. When I resell does that make me an investor? Maybe. I keep all the boxes because, to me, they are part of the "unit" and part of the collection. Some of the boxes are ordinary and some are just remarkable. Each goes with a pen. Some pens that I've acquired I've never used but I like having them to look at if nothing else because they are works of functional art. I don't think it's sad at all - I am enthusiastic about every pen I own. I do not have to ink it and write with it to love it. I enjoy my collection whether or not one gets resold. At some point in my life it is likely that my entire collection will be sold. Does that make me a purposeful investor with no other interest in the "things" I'm selling. Maybe in some eyes, but I think not.

I take no umbrage at the statement but I certainly disagree with it.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Classic Guillochéxxxwww.argentblue.comxxxDamascus Steel

Thanks

I don't think the statement really applies to you, since you collect pens for your own amusement, not as a piece of speculation. Though I do admit that I find it difficult to understand that one would own a pen and never ever ink it up at least once, just to give it a spin, if you're getting joy from your pens in some other way, then it really can't be considered sad at all.

It's the buying pens just for the sake of selling them once they appreciate, necessarily preventing someone who would get real joy and use out of it from acquiring it at a "reasonable" price that I find very sad, and even a bit immoral.
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I kept a bunch of boxes that some Chinese pens came in and I am finding them useful for shipping pens that I received without a box.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot