Thread: Birthday pencil

Thanks

Default Birthday pencil

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417278878.035413.jpg

I was given this pencil for my birthday. It says Wahl Eversharp Sterling Pat. Made in USA. It needs a good polish.

It works, I found an old military skilcraft red pencil that had red lead that fit. It doesn't have a clip but it has loop on the crown, like it was chained to something's. I don't know much about pencils. So if someone could point me in the right direction

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Default Re: Birthday pencil

Hullo.

A nice pencil indeed; looks like a ladies' model; I have one with clip that is otherwise identical.

For cleaning I use a product we have here in England called Goddard's Silver Dip and finish off with Goddard's polishing cloth. The Eversharp accepts 1.18mm leads which are readily available - they fit Yard-o-Leds amongst others. You will have noticed that the pencil does not retract the lead; this is normal for this type.

Enjoy your nice present!

Cob

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I have a similar one that is inscribed with the name of a famous nun. However, the old lead seems to be blocking any attempt to feed new lead through and I haven't yet been able to clear it. Shame really as I would certainly use it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post
    I have a similar one that is inscribed with the name of a famous nun. However, the old lead seems to be blocking any attempt to feed new lead through and I haven't yet been able to clear it. Shame really as I would certainly use it.
    I had this problem with one of mine; I cured it by very patiently "drilling" it out using a small watchmakers screwdriver.

Cob

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

The only silver cleaner I was allowed to use on church silver as an altar guild member was Wrights silver cream. Very gentle and will work miracles. Get the cream, not the liquid. In guessing that was worn on a ribbon round the neck. Very fancy!
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I had this problem with one of mine; I cured it by very patiently "drilling" it out using a small watchmakers screwdriver.
    That's what I have been doing but it is taking an absolute age, and I don't know how much further I have to go - so far I'm about 6mm in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post
    That's what I have been doing but it is taking an absolute age, and I don't know how much further I have to go - so far I'm about 6mm in.
    Yes it's a pain; my problem was not having suitable tools to hand; perhaps a 1mm drill with an Archimedes drill holder would be a good solution?

Cob