Thread: Ebay help

Thanks

Default Ebay help

If i bought a pen from a ebayer labeled as used but was defective would i be able to get a refund?
    also the seller says that the pen is only tested with water and does not accept refunds.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: Ebay help

1. If the seller does not accept refunds (returns), then you have to take it up with eBay.
    2. You don't say what is wrong with the pen.
    3. Testing with water could be valid, depending on #2.

More info needed. However, you did note the bit about the seller not allowing for returns, so it is going to be a bit more difficult. Explain your case more fully, and maybe we can give you some assistance.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

If the seller says "only tested with water" and "does not accept returns" then the seller is basically saying "as is" condition and no guarantee of function. eBay will only force the seller to give a refund if the pen does match the description in some way. Since they are not describing it as working other than having the ability to fill and empty using water, any other lack of function will not prompt a refund.

If you need to buy something you are sure of working without further tuning or restoration on your part, this is not the pen to buy.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

All ebay sellers have to accept refunds for items that are not as described, so if the item is not as described you can ignore that part of the listing.

If the pen was described as "used and working" and it isn't, then you first have to contact the seller and say why you believe it isn't as described. If he doesn't respond, or says you can't return it, then you should "Open a case" via ebay. The seller will then have a second opportunity to deal with it before you escalate it to ebay to make the decision.

The most likely outcome is that ebay will say return it to the seller for a full refund. If you do this I recommend you should be sure to get a tracking number.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sparkinflint View Post
    If i bought a pen from a ebayer labeled as used but was defective would i be able to get a refund?
    also the seller says that the pen is only tested with water and does not accept refunds.
    Just as a general rule that will help make life much less stressful, I always assume a used pen will require repair regardless of what is advertised unless it is from a dealer with whom I am very familiar.
    Last edited by jar; December 6th, 2014 at 10:50 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 6th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkinflint View Post
    Just as a general rule that will help make life much less stressful, I always assume a used pen will require repair regardless of what is advertised unless it is from a dealer with whom I am very familiar.
    This. If buying from eBay I *always* figure the cost of a complete restoration into what I'm willing to pay for the pen.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

I've been successful, even when the seller states "no returns", if I simply request a return and refund. I send it back at my expense and this has worked several times. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks

alright thanks guys

Thanks

The two items that come to mind that were blatantly represented incorrectly that I purchase were: 1. A pen, and 2. A razor. When quested concerning the razor, the seller stated that it 'goes on if forced' and the pen, the seller said to ' contact the manufacturer, and they were notorious for poor workmanship.' Both obviously knew that they were selling defective items.
    ' On the razor, I contacted EBay and received a refund. On the pen, because of the low cost, the seller received a very poor 'feedback'.
    If you're dissatisfied, complain.

Thanks

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ainterne For This Useful Post:

Neo (December 7th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

I have ahd a few cases myself; in the recent ones, faced with recalcitrant sellers, I received full refunds via eBay including postage - eBay provided postage labels in some cases for the return.

Always challenge this sort of thing - and don't take any notice of sellers who state "no returns" If they sell goods without declaring all faults then they will be obliged to refund your money.

Cob

Cob

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Deb (December 8th, 2014)