Thread: A day in the life of a pen

Thanks

Default A day in the life of a pen

I've just caught myself spending another lunch break diving deeper and deeper into the online world of pens. It really is amazing what you can find. Like this article: http://www.businesspens.co.uk/blog/l...a-branded-pen/ It's an account of a standard day as a promotional pen.

This is one of those things that sets me off thinking, what about my pens? It's unlikely any of them were ever used as a promotional item but some of them have certainly been around for a while and had more than one owner. It makes me wonder what sort of 'life' they would have had before. Those of you that are lucky enough to own antique pens should definitely consider this too. If a pen is around 100 years old when it was brand new the First World War had just started. Zeppelins would soon be bombing London and motor vehicles were still a rarity on roads. I could go on about this for hours but I'd rather hear about your pens, what sort of things do you think they've 'seen' or 'done' during their time?

Jon

Thanks

Default Re: A day in the life of a pen

I have a circa 1935 German piston-fill student pen that (if Alex vanGalen is to be believed) spent its time from the heyday of the 3rd Reich until last year locked in a trunk with a few hundred of its sisters until Lex began restoring them.
    Not a very exciting WWII story, but I guess it beats being blown to smithereens in some Kraut's shirt pocket. It's a great pen.
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

Thanks

Default Re: A day in the life of a pen

Maybe not incredibly exciting but still very interesting. I'm a bit of a history fan myself so something with Nazi connections intrigues me. The fact a simple pen could be turned into a vessel of fascism says a lot for the terrifying power of the Nazi party. Thanks for sharing Dreck.