Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Three Pen Problem

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Default A Three Pen Problem

I am going to buy one pen this month and I am soliciting opinions.

Aurora Ipsilon (I don't own any Aurora Pens)
    Edison Beaumont (I own a Pearlette, a Herald and a Nouveau Encore)
    Faber-Castille Ondoro ( I own a F-C Loom)

They are relatively in the same price range, the Ipsilon being a little cheaper. I can't decide. Help!

FP_GaF

I own two out of the three pens that you mentioned and I can tell you this:

I truly love my Ondoro. It is a great pen. But since you own a Loom you will find that they both sport the same kind of nib. These Faber-Castell steel nibs are very nice indeed. I just think you won't find that much difference in writing experience between the Loom and the Ondoro. I can hear the screaming already: "Is this guy insane?! The Ondoro is a much better pen...". True, but I am also looking at the novelty factor and then the other two options seem more interesting to me. So let me put it that way, the Ondoro would be an excellent but conservative choice from my point of view.

I personally am in love with Aurora, I must confess this before I go on. I own the Ipsilon Deluxe which has a 14ct gold nib. But you are looking into the steel-nibed version I believe. My Ipsilon is one of my top three favourite pens (the other two being an Aurora Talentum and a Delta Via Veneto; or maybe the Visconti Rembrandt... I have this Italian thing, you know). At any rate, I highly recommend the Aurora Ipsilon. Also, Doc Brown has a review on both the Ondoro and the Ipsilon.

I cannot say much about the Edison Beaumont. To my eternal disgrace I do admit that I don't own a single Edison fountain pen. It is darn difficult to get one's hands on them in the UK and shipping and above all duty together cost as much as the pen itself. So much for my lame excuse. Thus I cannot help you with the Edison.

I hope this will make your choice somewhat easier. Please be sure to let us know which pen you eventually decided to buy once you made up your mind.

Have fun with your new pen whichever it will be.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 599 Posts

I love the looks of the Ondoro. But I haven't tried any of these pens, so I can't say much.

Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FP_GaF View Post
    I own two out of the three pens that you mentioned and I can tell you this:

I truly love my Ondoro. It is a great pen. But since you own a Loom you will find that they both sport the same kind of nib. These Faber-Castell steel nibs are very nice indeed. I just think you won't find that much difference in writing experience between the Loom and the Ondoro. I can hear the screaming already: "Is this guy insane?! The Ondoro is a much better pen...". True, but I am also looking at the novelty factor and then the other two options seem more interesting to me. So let me put it that way, the Ondoro would be an excellent but conservative choice from my point of view.

I personally am in love with Aurora, I must confess this before I go on. I own the Ipsilon Deluxe which has a 14ct gold nib. But you are looking into the steel-nibed version I believe. My Ipsilon is one of my top three favourite pens (the other two being an Aurora Talentum and a Delta Via Veneto; or maybe the Visconti Rembrandt... I have this Italian thing, you know). At any rate, I highly recommend the Aurora Ipsilon. Also, Doc Brown has a review on both the Ondoro and the Ipsilon.

I cannot say much about the Edison Beaumont. To my eternal disgrace I do admit that I don't own a single Edison fountain pen. It is darn difficult to get one's hands on them in the UK and shipping and above all duty together cost as much as the pen itself. So much for my lame excuse. Thus I cannot help you with the Edison.

I hope this will make your choice somewhat easier. Please be sure to let us know which pen you eventually decided to buy once you made up your mind.

Have fun with your new pen whichever it will be.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks! That is indeed very helpful. I will mull over your comments, but I think I agree with your reasoning. Since I already have example of 2 out of 3, though I must say I would not have thought to put the Loom in the same class as the Ondoro, but you are probably right in doing so.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I sent my Aurora Ipsilon back and traded for a Pelikan M200. If the severe case of baby's bottom would have not been there, I would have kept it.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Already have a Pelikan M200 Demonstrator in the mail. So far leaning toward the Aurora, but will keep your experience in mind.

FP_GaF

I double-checked on the Faber-Castell nibs and they are indeed the same nibs on the Loom and on the Ondoro (as much as I could compare them). But everything else is definitely upper class on the Ondoro, so the higher price tag is justified in my opinion. Again, I believe that the writing experience will be somewhat similar between Loom and Ondoro (the nib will feel the same but section and balance are different). One other point: you can post the Ondoro but it is very top heavy when posted.

I forgot about KI's bad experience to be honest and this is something to take into account: in case of problems I guess the Ipsilon will be the biggest pain in the rear (assuming you live in the US). Here the Beaumont clearly wins.

Not easy, eh?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FP_GaF View Post
    I double-checked on the Faber-Castell nibs and they are indeed the same nibs on the Loom and on the Ondoro (as much as I could compare them). But everything else is definitely upper class on the Ondoro, so the higher price tag is justified in my opinion. Again, I believe that the writing experience will be somewhat similar between Loom and Ondoro (the nib will feel the same but section and balance are different). One other point: you can post the Ondoro but it is very top heavy when posted.

I forgot about KI's bad experience to be honest and this is something to take into account: in case of problems I guess the Ipsilon will be the biggest pain in the rear (assuming you live in the US). Here the Beaumont clearly wins.

Not easy, eh?
    Mull

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

Well, I'll put it this way...I own two Ondoros---one in black, one in orange---and the writing experience blows away my Aurora Ipsilon's. I don't own any Edison pens (but they are on my wish list ).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maja View Post
    Well, I'll put it this way...I own two Ondoros---one in black, one in orange---and the writing experience blows away my Aurora Ipsilon's. I don't own any Edison pens (but they are on my wish list ).
    Now its getting complicated.

To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Don't you just love it?
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

None of my pens are better than my two Edison Nouveau Premieres and my Collier. Go Edison.

Thanks

I love all my Edison's but it looks like you already have a good selection there. I don't own an Ipsilon so cannot comment on it but I love my modern Aurora 88 and would not trade it for the world. I am not a big fan of the Faber Castell fountain pens and since you already have one, I would vote for the Aurora.
    Blogs: Via Gravatar

Twitter: FPOkami

Flickr: Flickr

FP_GaF

Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    Now its getting complicated.

Well, aren't you glad you asked...

Thanks

Nice "Daily Carry" feature, Ira (writingrav)! Thanks for sharing your pens with us

Thanks

That is a touch choice. I don't own any of those brands and each one appeals for different reasons. I think having seen Brian's latest creation on the main site I would plump for that one.. In the bedrock flake, something very Art Deco about that particular one of the three!

I have always promised myself that the day I get a Faber Castell fountain pen it will be one of the Graf von ones as I like hand tuned nibs and I believe all the Graf ones have that feature.
    Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock,Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia, Parker Duofold senior special (1927 vintage), Sheaffer imperial 777,Parker 51 special,Stipula Tuscan dreams piston, Stipula Tuscan dreams Ti flex nib,1944 Vac 51.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post
    I have always promised myself that the day I get a Faber Castell fountain pen it will be one of the Graf von ones as I like hand tuned nibs and I believe all the Graf ones have that feature.
    Excuse the quick snapshot, but you mean like...

2012-08-05 Faber Castell set.jpg

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maja View Post
    Nice "Daily Carry" feature, Ira (writingrav)! Thanks for sharing your pens with us
    Thanks Maja. It was my pleasure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterpen53 View Post
    Excuse the quick snapshot, but you mean like...

2012-08-05 Faber Castell set.jpg
    That's it Peter, spot on. The only wooden pens that have ever appealed to me are the GVFC's! Yours look wonderful!
    Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock,Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia, Parker Duofold senior special (1927 vintage), Sheaffer imperial 777,Parker 51 special,Stipula Tuscan dreams piston, Stipula Tuscan dreams Ti flex nib,1944 Vac 51.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post
    That's it Peter, spot on. The only wooden pens that have ever appealed to me are the GVFC's! Yours look wonderful!
    Thanks, Ian. I might have gone for Omas' wooden pens if they had not been so (bleep) expensive.
    I don't use them that often but I have no recollection of ever having had any problems with the (smooth) nib, so you may well be right that it is hand tuned. They are also available in a darker, blackish wood, of which the name eludes me at the moment. Funny thing is that while I had never seen these pens in the wild, except for my own, the notary who was involved in the transfer of my house some years ago had a BP+MP set of the black variety. Since I bought my pens in Germany, that was quite a surprise.

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.