Thread: What do I have and how can I bring it back up to writing condition

Thanks

Default What do I have and how can I bring it back up to writing condition

So my grandmother gave me a Sheaffer FP and pencil set (sorry forgot to take photos of the pencil). It was my grandfathers who passed away 13 years ago. She came across it a few months back and since I was getting into fountain pens saved it to give to me for Christmas. I have only really had experience with modern pens so I'm not really sure what route to go. Its too light and small for me to really write with but it seems a shame to own it but it not be in writing condition. I also think my grandmother would take joy in seeing me write with it so I would like to bring it back up to writing condition even if I dont write with it much.

I'll include some photos below, on the nib it says:
    Sheaffers
    REG US PAT OFF
    Made in USA

I assume this is some kind of vacuum filler I havent ever used anything like this. So can anyone help me narrow down what I have? and how I would go about getting it back up to writing condition?

Thank you in advance,
    -Wrathen

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Default Re: What do I have and how can I bring it back up to writing condition

Looks like a 1949-50 Sheaffer Touchdown Statesman to me. You'll need a new o-ring and a new sac.

Instructions: http://www.richardspens.com/ref/repair/touchdown.htm

BTW, I'd strongly recommend NOT removing the nib if you can avoid it. Soak the section or use an ultrasonic to clean it, flush it with a bulb syringe, whatever it takes to get it clean. Removing the nib is usually not necessary.

www.vintagepens.com and www.fountainpensacs.com have the o-rings and sacs. Both also sell kits specifically for this.
    Last edited by mhosea; December 28th, 2014 at 09:10 PM.
    --
    Mike

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Dreck (December 28th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

BTW, insofar as you're likely to spend $10-15 or more anyway getting parts and shellac and whatnot, you might consider just sending it to Danny Fudge, who, at $20, has one of the best prices around for TD restoration:

http://www.thewritepen.net/services.html
    --
    Mike

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 29th, 2014), Wrathen (December 29th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

2nd on the suggestion of Danny Fudge. He is fabulous to work with - quick, reasonable, and great work.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Wrathen (December 29th, 2014)

Thanks

Thank you very much for this. I was looking at the parts and everything online and while I'm pretty sure I could muddle my way through it I would rather not hurt it since it does have sentimental value.... and the parts were $10'ish plus anything else I found I might need like tools etc.

Just got done emailing Danny.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wrathen For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (December 29th, 2014), Jon Szanto (December 29th, 2014)

Thanks

How did the repair turn out, if it's complete? These often have wonderfully smooth (if inflexible) nibs.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton