Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Challenge for Sheaffer Balance Collectors: OS Ebonized Pearl mid-1930s

Thanks

Default Re: A Challenge for Sheaffer Balance Collectors: OS Ebonized Pearl mid-1930s

PPP was well served today. At El Zorno's house in Beaver Falls-- we had some good laughs about the pen world-- I found in his Sheaffer stash... get ready for it... an off-catalogue "flat-top". I bought it. Too bad I left the good camera in New York. There will be more eye candy posts soon though.

-d
    Last edited by david i; January 1st, 2015 at 08:52 PM.
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: A Challenge for Sheaffer Balance Collectors: OS Ebonized Pearl mid-1930s

One element that would be very nice to document *somewhere* would be the hard data - i.e. actual measurements - of the width of the cap bands. It's swell to see the four pens next to each other, and observe the 4 'relative' sizes of the cap band, but looking at a single pen in hand it would be hard for an individual to know, off-hand (hehe) just which band was in play. Obviously, a simple measurement would answer the question and take us a step further away from myth and mystery and decoder rings.

Happy New Year. I declare 2015 the year I purchase, somewhere, an OS Ebonized Pearl Balance.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Jon, I have a bunch of Ebonized in the pipeline. The OS's and the off-catalogue cap-band pens are pricey, but I might have a couple standard/slender back soon. Great color. Not too crazy price. Of course, "not too crazy" could be subjective.

We must get dinner this year at LA.

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 1st, 2015)

Thanks

I wouldn't be surprised if Roger or if someone else has posted the widths of the four key rings. I don't know 'em offhand, though even knowing the numbers probably would not help when looking at a random photo.

regards

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    One element that would be very nice to document *somewhere* would be the hard data - i.e. actual measurements - of the width of the cap bands. It's swell to see the four pens next to each other, and observe the 4 'relative' sizes of the cap band, but looking at a single pen in hand it would be hard for an individual to know, off-hand (hehe) just which band was in play. Obviously, a simple measurement would answer the question and take us a step further away from myth and mystery and decoder rings.
    As you suspected, serious Sheaffer collectors long ago noted these dimensions (as did Sheaffer themselves -- probably a doc in the PCA library that has the info). 1/2" ("Grand" Autograph), 5/16" (standard Autograph), 1/8" (typical Lifetime, excepting Petite), 3/32" (best non-Lifetime level, and Lifetime Petite), and 1/16" (Junior and entry/step-up strata). This is for the Balance line.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kirchh For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 1st, 2015)

Thanks

PPP. Excellent.
    Last edited by david i; January 1st, 2015 at 10:29 PM.
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kirchh View Post
    As you suspected, serious Sheaffer collectors long ago noted these dimensions (as did Sheaffer themselves -- probably a doc in the PCA library that has the info).
    Thanks, Daniel. TBH, I don't care to delineate who is, or is not, a "serious Sheaffer collector". It is just a difficult task for many, like myself, who are relatively new to all of this to come by information. It is often scattered all over the place, and not easy to track down when you need to. I'll make a note of this and put it in one of my pen books.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Excellent.

regards

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kirchh View Post
    As you suspected, serious Sheaffer collectors long ago noted these dimensions (as did Sheaffer themselves -- probably a doc in the PCA library that has the info).
    Thanks, Daniel. TBH, I don't care to delineate who is, or is not, a "serious Sheaffer collector". It is just a difficult task for many, like myself, who are relatively new to all of this to come by information. It is often scattered all over the place, and not easy to track down when you need to. I'll make a note of this and put it in one of my pen books.
    You're welcome -- happy to help folks like you with this sort of question.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”

Thanks

It was great to see the PPP do its thing

More soon...

regards

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks

Jon -

To follow up, there are some Sheaffer documents in the PCA Library that give the widths of various models' cap bands. One I just checked is the Sheaffer Service Policy & Pricing Chart, 1951, which is filed in two parts.

I will caution that as with other such materials, they are not infallible; for example, a quick look showed the width of an Autograph cap band listed as 1/4", but that's not quite right (it's 5/16"). In any event, the materials in the PCA Library are a great place to start.

--Daniel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by david i View Post

More soon...

regards

-d
    What is PPP and what does it do that it did?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by david i View Post

More soon...

regards

-d
    What is PPP and what does it do that it did?

The Pokity Poke Process.

They can't resist. There tends to be some bleating though.

regards

d
    David R. Isaacson, MD