Thread: Snoqualmie falls

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Default Snoqualmie falls

So I didn't get anything pen related for Christmas, but I got what I *really* wanted but would never buy myself...

The Sony a7ii and the adapter to use my old manual Minolta glass with it. It's like I have my old Minolta system from the 70s back, but *better.*

Here's a shot with the Minolta MD 28mm 2.8 from yesterday. We got soaked, but it was worth it.

---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Crazyorange (December 30th, 2014), Dreck (December 29th, 2014), farmdogfan (December 30th, 2014), Hawk (December 29th, 2014), Jeph (January 4th, 2015), Jon Szanto (December 29th, 2014), klpeabody (December 29th, 2014), Lady Onogaro (December 29th, 2014), manoeuver (December 29th, 2014), reprieve (December 29th, 2014), sharmon202 (December 29th, 2014), writingrav (December 30th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Snoqualmie falls

An amazing place, captured well. I'm going to be in Seattle in about a week, but doubt there will be too much time for sightseeing.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Amazing picture!

I am assuming the autofocus function does not work with that old Minolta lenses, Am I correct?

Thanks

The old Minolta lenses don't *have* auto focus. These are the MD/MC mount, auto nothing. Well the MD on the newer bodies would do aperture or shutter priority instead of just straight manual. But no auto focus, I learned to shoot with all manual cameras and I find even when I have the auto functions I don't use or like them.
    ---

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (December 29th, 2014)

Thanks

I always used the split image viewfinder on my old OM2s; how easy do you find focusing without any aids like that?
    Some days, it's hardly worth chewing through the leather straps....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldstoat View Post
    I always used the split image viewfinder on my old OM2s; how easy do you find focusing without any aids like that?
    With this camera? Trivial.

Lots of digital cameras make manual focus really difficult, but this one does focus peaking. I tap a button and boom, zoomed in on my focus point. Dial in the focus perfectly, shutter. So I'm finding it easier to get really super accurate focus than with my old focusing screens actually. I do a lot of landscape shots though where focus doesn't matter. Shoot with a big enough aperture on a wide angle lens like my 20mm and everything from 6" in front of the lens to the horizon is in focus.
    ---

Thanks

Aha- you're from the Ansel Adams f/64 school!
    There was a stunning exhibition of his photography at the National Maritime Museum in 2013 ( nearly said last year there!) and the quality of the images when blown up to several feet across was breathtaking.
    Some days, it's hardly worth chewing through the leather straps....