Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pen Values

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Default Waterman 0512 1/2 PSF

I have a 1915/18 Waterman 512 1/2 PSF with a solid 14k overlay on the barrel and cap. It is a little dinged up but being that I am learning jewelry making it can be easily repaired. It is also missing the clip which after contacting FP hospital would cost around $125 to replace with an original clip.

In researching the pen I don't seem to be finding this specific pen but find a lot of this pen with filigree and other designs on the barrel.

I was wondering if anyone might have any clue as to the approximate value of the pen with and without the clip. Being that the overlay is solid 14k I know it's going to at least have some decent value from the gold content alone. Depending on its value it is one pen I might consider getting rid of to obtain another pen I would like.

And who whoever suggested the faint model number and company imprint on the hard rubber on the end of the barrel was not worn but clogged with decades of gunk, thank you. I took a dry cloth and just merely rubbed for a few seconds and the imprint is much more visible. Still worn but I see words, dates, and part of words and model numbers I did not see before.

EDIT- I have recently found different versions of this pen with different engravings. I noticed a couple of them have 14k and Waterman ideal on the lip of the pen cap. Mine only has 14k stamped on it. I assume the main difference is the year of production?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RayCornett; January 22nd, 2015 at 03:11 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: Pen Values

Note that replacement clip should be 14k as well.

Pattern can grossly affect price.

regards

d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

RayCornett (January 21st, 2015)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Definitely. The clips was 14k. But a bit rich for my blood currently. On a side not since I have been adding the 0 in front of 512 1/2 PSF in my searches for information lately I have not really found alot of information but see many more versions of the pen with gorgeous engraving. I am not sure how old the prices I have seen were but one was restored and in basically pristine condition for a mere $225 which I feel is on the cheap side. I also added an additional question to my initial post for anyone who may have information.
    Last edited by RayCornett; January 21st, 2015 at 03:45 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

What pattern is the overlay.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

RayCornett (January 22nd, 2015)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

No pattern. Completely smooth with the exception of the initials E.W in gorgeous hand engraved script. The odd thing to me about the engraving is the alignment. I would think it would be placed exactly opposite the lever on the other side. But if you hold the pen with the nib pointing toward your face with the lever at "12 oclock" the engraving is at "9 oclock".

If I can acquire the clip and the double rivet,etc to attach it to the clip I have someone who can place it for me. A jeweler who used to work on and hand engrave FPs years ago.
    Last edited by RayCornett; January 22nd, 2015 at 03:13 AM.

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

I just may have found an original replacement clip for a reasonable price. I sent an email to see if it was still available.

Also, I finally got a really good look at what is printed on the sides of the lever. Abbreviation for "Patent applied for" on one side, and "Patent approved 28-03" which I assume is 28th of March.

EDIT- I have indeed located a clip and it is a considerable amount less than the $125 that I was quoted by.........the Hospital. Now. to secure the fundage........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RayCornett; January 23rd, 2015 at 04:54 AM.

Thanks

Just a suggestion Ray. Your pictures are so large, they are extremely hard to see. Try resizing them to about 800 or 1000 pixels in width.
    Regards,
    Allan

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Procyon For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (January 25th, 2015)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Jut found out the clip I located is nickel plated in 14k. Not authentic as I had been thinking...........

Thanks

Default Re: Waterman 0512 1/2 PSF

In case this is of any use to you... Have you seen the book "Waterman Past and Present The First Six Decades".. Also his site is http://www.vintagewatermanpens.com/p...ategory/clips/ You might find something there also.

No doubt you have looked here? http://www.vintagepens.com/vintage_pens_catalog.shtml

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ainterne For This Useful Post:

RayCornett (June 16th, 2015)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Default Re: Waterman 0512 1/2 PSF

Quote Originally Posted by ainterne View Post
    In case this is of any use to you... Have you seen the book "Waterman Past and Present The First Six Decades".. Also his site is http://www.vintagewatermanpens.com/p...ategory/clips/ You might find something there also.

No doubt you have looked here? http://www.vintagepens.com/vintage_pens_catalog.shtml
    Ironically I have looked at the pens on their website, especially the same model as I have, but never contact them about the possibility of them having a clip in their spare parts. But I just fired off the email to them. Crossing fingers!

Thanks

How about: Patent April 28, 1903 on the side of the lever.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    How about: Patent April 28, 1903 on the side of the lever.
    I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

Thanks

Look at the your top photo.
    -Pogo

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Look at the your top photo.
    I see that. I posted it. I am still not clear at all what you're getting at. You might as well tell me to look at a stick,lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

It isn't Approved it is April is what Hawk is driving at.

So that makes it April 28 1903. Instead of March 28. (March 28 doesn't make much sense as patents care most about year).
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Hawk (June 17th, 2015)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    It isn't Approved it is April is what Hawk is driving at.

So that makes it April 28 1903. Instead of March 28. (March 28 doesn't make much sense as patents care most about year).
    Oh! I see what he meant now

I guess it took a while to be approved since their first lever fillers were not released until 1915.

However, in the early days there was a time when the month and date were listed as Day/Month instead of Month/Day. This is why I was saying the patent was approved(apr) on March 28th. The lever is tiny so they couldn't fit the entire word approved on the lever. I had to use a loupe to get the picture.
    Last edited by RayCornett; June 17th, 2015 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks

Ray, I did some research since you said the first lever fillers were released in 1915. John Barnes of Rockford, IL invented the lever filler and received US Pat. 726,495 with a publication date of Apr. 28, 03. He had no use for it (wow!) so he sold the rights to L. E. Waterman. Does this close the loop for you? BTW, thanks for making me curious about the date gap, I had fun tapping on my iPad trying to satisfy my small brain.
    -Pogo

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

RayCornett (June 17th, 2015)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Ray, I did some research since you said the first lever fillers were released in 1915. John Barnes of Rockford, IL invented the lever filler and received US Pat. 726,495 with a publication date of Apr. 28, 03. He had no use for it (wow!) so he sold the rights to L. E. Waterman. Does this close the loop for you? BTW, thanks for making me curious about the date gap, I had fun tapping on my iPad trying to satisfy my small brain.
    Well, the loop I am trying to close was value initially but I did learn a couple things from your information. I was looking just today for the patent information again but didn't see it. Interesting to know that it was indeed April 28,03! Your information explains why there is such a time gap between the patent approval and the release of the pen.

I keep forgetting I even have this post here until someone replies again. Since my initial post I realized that adding a 0 to the 512 1/2 psf when searching helped immensely in finding other pens just like mine and seeing what they have been going for.

Thanks

I have a 0552 1/2 L. E. C. My lever does not have the patent markings on the sides. Perhaps, yours is earlier than mine.
    -Pogo

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

I have a 0552 1/2 L. E. C. My lever does not have the patent markings on the sides. Perhaps, yours is earlier than mine.
    Thats a lovely pen. Funny thing about mine is the 0512 is supposed to be an eyedropper but I have never seen an ED with a lever,lol. Misprint perhaps?