Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 planners and journals?

Thanks

Question 2015 planners and journals?

I noticed no one has made a post about this, but considering 2015 starts tomorrow (or already has on the eastern side of the Atlantic), I figured I'd post. For those of you that use them, what's your planner for this coming year? If you journal, what ones have you chosen for next year?

I'm using two planners: a Hobonichi Techo (with an apple-red cover) for my university studying, and a Franklin Covey Compact/Filofax Personal/Paperchase ring binder (the binder itself is probably going to change about four times in the next year - I get bored quickly, but the innards should remain the same) for everything else (and some of the university study as well, actually). Well, right now, it's a Franklin Covey Lily binder with loads of blank paper and dividers but no actual diary inserts because the Paperchase ones aren't here yet (no idea how fountain pen friendly they are, I just thought the lined weekly entries looked less intimidating than the blank spaces of Filofax diary entries).

For my journals, I'm finishing up my Awagami Factory hardcover pocket notebook for now, and then I have a good-sized stock of other hardcover pocket books - three Leuchtturm1917, and five Moleskine (they were on sale at the Moleskine site. Also, I tend to use fine and extra-fine nibs and well-behaved inks, so I don't foresee much of a problem with it) - to start on.
    Last edited by Avalona; December 31st, 2014 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Default Re: 2015 planners and journals?

Techo. Hobonichi Techo. :-) I am using one of those too. Just that one for me, work is too much chaos so that is managed on the computer calendar. Journal is a Tomoe River one from Nanami Paper.

Thanks

Yes, thanks for correcting me on Techo. Sometimes I forget to take out the n. :P

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

I've been building an 8x6 Circa notebook with all the necessary tools to serve as my all-in-one planner for 2015. It has a pleasing red leather zip cover and a Kaweco Raw Aluminum pen living in the pen loop. They make a Rhodia paper for it.

Personal journal is hardbound tomoe river from paperforfountainpens.com
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (January 1st, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I too use a Hobonichi Techo. Got my new one all ready to go tomorrow.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Techno all set
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    I've been building an 8x6 Circa notebook with all the necessary tools to serve as my all-in-one planner for 2015. It has a pleasing red leather zip cover and a Kaweco Raw Aluminum pen living in the pen loop. They make a Rhodia paper for it.

Personal journal is hardbound tomoe river from paperforfountainpens.com
    I have a full sized circa with a bomber leather cover and Kyoto discs that I use for notetaking at work. I keep a task list there too. Circa is a really fantastic system, and yes, loaded up with Rhodia. I also have the punch so I can insert other documents in relevant places as the year wears on. I scan everything at the end of the year. Not really a planner for me really so I didn't include it, but I do track deadlines and keep a monthly view calendar in there and such so perhaps it is? Hmm. I just have always thought of it as my work woobie. Planner might be more professional.

Thanks

I have a Tomoe river journal from paperforfountainpens.com on order too, hoped it might have been here for the new year but no luck as yet.
    We look forward to the time when the power of love will replace the love of power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.

Thanks

For a journal I'm going with a Clairefontaine Basic Large Clothbound Notebook. I'm thinking about this one also:

http://www.baronfig.com/pages/confidant

Kent

Thanks

Its been a tough decision this year. Ideally I'd like a Rhodia planner formatted tomoe river planner in A5

I tried the Hobonichi in 2014 and loved everything except the size - its just too small.

I have both A4 and A5 ARCs and like the idea of printing my own templates, but I find when using decent paper they get very heavy.

I may just move to bullet journalling in an A5 notebook.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kbrede View Post
    For a journal I'm going with a Clairefontaine Basic Large Clothbound Notebook. I'm thinking about this one also:

http://www.baronfig.com/pages/confidant

Kent
    I just picked up a Baron Fig Confidant for my journal this year.

Thanks

I would encourage responses to this Quo Vadis blog:

http://quovadisblog.com/2015/01/02/c...ed-planners-2/

Anyone got any experience of the large size Notor?

Thanks

I have just received my first Tomoe river journal from paperforfountainpens.com - A birthday present to myself.

Now I just have to bring myself to use it.......

Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cwent2 For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (January 9th, 2015)

A small cottage on the outskirts of Bad Ass
    Thanks

I do need to pick up a new planner or this year. As school continues and my time is getting scheduled down to the last minute (or so it seems!) I reach for the darn thing more and more. I currently use a Staples Arc academic year planner...not the best, not the worst, but I'm angling towards upgrading that to a Raymay DaVinci or a Hobonichi. I can't decide. I like the DaVinci system for having a binder, and for having blank date pages so I can just start my planner when-any-old-ever and not feel like I'm wasting paper. I also like that if for whatever reason I can't find the Raymay branded pockets and stuff, I can get some from DayRunner or whatnot. It's very flexible, which I very much like. However, the binder is being discontinued, and the options left are nice but not ideal. Hobonichi has so many cover options, and I love all the little informational tidbits that come in the planners, but the planners are set and bound, already dated, and I have no idea how long it will take to get here. Whatever I get, I prefer the Tomoe River paper, just because anything thicker tends to bulk up really quickly and will fit into my backpack pockets, but not my purse. (Edited to add: I'm going with the DaVinci for now. The English Hobonichi are sold out, and the covers I like are not nearly within my current budget. Poot. Maybe next year?)

For a journal, I just went on a Paperblanks spree (yay holiday gift cards!), so I will more than likely be using those for a while. I have blank, new journals all over the place, so who knows? (Of course, I always say that this is the year I'm going to journal every day, and then I just never do...hence the proliferation of blank books, which are just lovely and pleasant on their own.)
    Last edited by Shimmershadow; January 9th, 2015 at 02:06 PM.
    "Feri ando payi sitsholpe te nauyas"
    ("It was in the water that we learned to swim")

Lovara saying

“She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows, and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.”
    ― Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

Thanks

have you considered the hobonichi cousin which is a5 size? it has a bit more..i'm trying that this year...
    but to be honest, not much of a planner/organizer person...more a journaler. thought it would be too small so i am also using a secondary journal for those days that i like to ramble more

Thanks

I decided to start a journal this year, and picked up a Mnemosyne Special and a Kokuyo Campus, both A5. The Kokuyo is just okay, but I love the Mnemosyne.

Thanks

I am an avid user of the Levenger Circa/discbound system and have been for over 6 years now - I use a letter size for my work brain dump and daily notes, and a junior size for my personal weekly planner, budgeting and ink scribbles. I am in love with the discbound system, and would like to work some Tomoe River Paper into it somehow, as I'm currently printing my own refills using 28lb laser printer that serves my pens well. I think the Tomoe River Paper might be too thin and delicate to stay on the discs well, but I kinda want to try! I occasionally get tempted by other systems though.... so now I have a Field Notes sized midori cover on the way with no clue what to put in it as I hate Field Notes paper, and am equally intrigued by the Hobonichi Techo.

I have planner issues.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefz View Post
    ..... so now I have a Field Notes sized midori cover on the way with no clue what to put in it as I hate Field Notes paper, .
    You could alway make yourself a homemade Tomoe River Paper Field note sized booklet - just a little stitching

http://www.mylifeallinoneplace.com/2...ok-in-new.html

Ray Blake tutorial
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cwent2 For This Useful Post:

Faustine (January 13th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefz View Post
    I am an avid user of the Levenger Circa/discbound system and have been for over 6 years now - I use a letter size for my work brain dump and daily notes, and a junior size for my personal weekly planner, budgeting and ink scribbles. I am in love with the discbound system, and would like to work some Tomoe River Paper into it somehow, as I'm currently printing my own refills using 28lb laser printer that serves my pens well. I think the Tomoe River Paper might be too thin and delicate to stay on the discs well, but I kinda want to try! I occasionally get tempted by other systems though.... so now I have a Field Notes sized midori cover on the way with no clue what to put in it as I hate Field Notes paper, and am equally intrigued by the Hobonichi Techo.

I have planner issues.
    I have a few of the Staples clone, Arc, notebooks. I love them as notebooks, but hate them as journals. I didn't like to daily carry mine. I use one for my Beer Journal, and I love it as that. I also use one to keep track of when I ink my pens and with what ink.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to sgtstretch For This Useful Post:

Faustine (January 13th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cwent2 View Post
    You could alway make yourself a homemade Tomoe River Paper Field note sized booklet - just a little stitching

http://www.mylifeallinoneplace.com/2...ok-in-new.html

Ray Blake tutorial
    Ooh, thanks Cwent2!! I just ordered some Backpocket Journals with Tomoe River Paper, but this is useful in case I want to venture into making my own.