Thread: 2015 LA Pen Show Report

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Default 2015 LA Pen Show Report

LA Pen Show 2015

Going into this year’s LA Pen Show, I felt it was going to be interesting times at the show. For those who do not follow the inner workings of various pen shows, there was a major change in the ownership of the show and with change comes uncertainty. Over the last few years, you get a sense of change coming to the pen community. It comes as no surprise that much of the change is represented by a changing of the guard. Many of the first generation are retiring from pens leaving a vacuum. I want to this opportunity to say farewell to Saul Kitchener who passed away just before the LA Show. Saul was was a fixture in the San Francisco pen scene.

My usual plans for LA are to get there early, spend early and often. A few years ago (see my 2012 report), I learned to not leave for LA on Thursday but early Wednesday so you don’t miss anything. Unfortunately, life gets in the way and I had to be in a design review on Wednesday so I did not leave until late afternoon. I would still make it to LA Wednesday but would it be too late? So I left work as soon as I could leave and put pedal to the metal. I did stop in some remote and lonely place in the middle of central California for gas. Of course, I found this awesome pupusa truck selling food to truck drivers in the middle of nowhere.

I did not have time for pupusas since those take a bit more time so I settled for some tacos. Very good at $1.50 ea.

Fortunately, I dodged all traffic in LA and made the trip in 5 hours door to door. At the bar, a number of pen people were having drinks after dinner since they like the rest of the hardcore people arrived in the afternoon. Unfortunately, a lot of selling took place Wednesday evening before the show even started. Some of the pens I was interested in were already spoken for. The lesson is to get there early and realize the pen dealing starts before the show and often in the evenings away from the ballroom.

Thursday
    I got up early to work out before breakfast. You really need to be in the ballroom by 8:00 am.

Sunrise over the golf course.

The ballroom was not as active in years past. It seems people were getting a late start. However, the Thursday morning regulars were feasting on the early action.

The early morning is a great time to catch up with your friends. The room is fairly empty and quiet. I find it relaxing.

This is a good time to buy lots of parts and pens.

Last edited by AltecGreen; February 16th, 2015 at 10:54 PM.
    2017 San Francisco Pen Show
    August 25-27th, 2017
    Sofitel San Francisco Bay Hotel
    223 Twin Dolphin Drive
    Redwood City Ca, 94065

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

00Photo (February 16th, 2015), bleair (February 16th, 2015), Bogon07 (February 16th, 2015), da vinci (February 16th, 2015), dannzeman (February 16th, 2015), ethernautrix (February 16th, 2015), fountainpenkid (February 22nd, 2015), Jeph (February 18th, 2015), Jon Szanto (February 16th, 2015), ladynib302 (February 16th, 2015), manoeuver (February 18th, 2015), mhosea (February 17th, 2015), orfew (February 18th, 2015), quinden (February 17th, 2015), reprieve (February 16th, 2015), rpsyed (June 4th, 2015), TerraNoir (February 16th, 2015), Zhivago (February 16th, 2015)