Thread: Two Chinese Surprises

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Non-participant
    Thanks

Thumbs up Two Chinese Surprises

Since returning from the U.K. I have been reunited with my Dremel and have been grinding a few more nibs to keep my skills up to scratch. Two Chinese made pens that have received attention are shown here. While working on them I was reminded how good they are in relation to their cost.

The brown pen is a Kaigelu 316 in tiger eye celluloid. The other is an unknown Jinhao model in black celluloid with inlaid pearl shell diamond shapes. I am not attemtping a review here, just some pics and a broad overview of my perceptions.

The Kaigelu 316 is one Chinese pen that nearly gets it all right. For me, it only has two shortcomings - its total weight (47gms filled with ink) and the two and three quarter turns needed to remove the threaded cap. Offsetting this is that the weight is evenly distributed and the balance is good. It's a large pen that is not intended to be posted. Its design is very similar to that of the modern Parker Duofold Centennial. It is filled using a good quality screw converter with a threaded fit, something rare on an inexpensive pen. The celluloid used in the pen body is attractive and of high quality. The nib is steel but is two-tone and as good as steel nibs get in regards to smoothness and ink flow. I've had the one shown here for a couple of years and I have just ordered another one in charcoal. The cost - the eBay seller accepted a US$17 offer for a brand new one. Can't beat that for value. Nib and feed are friction fit and can be easily removed. Germany Knox nibs of similar size can be used to replace the stock standard nib, though I don't think much would be gained other than to have a gauge that you would prefer over the standard medium that comes with the pen.

The Jinhao is somewhat similar in quality. I've had this one for around three years and it appears not to be available any more ... pity. Not to be confused with current pearl shell models. It also was an under $20 buy. It is slightly slimmer than the 316 but at 46gms it weighs similar, but again well balanced. There is a posting thread but posting throws the balance way out and I can't imagine anyone wanting to do that. The cap is also a screw fit and only takes one and three quarters to remove, an improvement on the 316. The pearl shell celluloid is stunning. The nib is also steel and one size smaller than the 316's nib. It has no hole, just the slit but the smoothness and ink flow are very good. The pen came with a bog standard medium nib which I have ground to a cursive italic.

Neither migo984 or myself have been great fans of Chinese made pens in the past, but these two certainly break the mould and we enjoy writing with them. If you would prefer an italic nib for one and don't grind your own then buy a replacement German Knox 1.1mm nib for them. Fitting is very easy.

There's a photo with the two pens alongside a Pelikan M400 to give some idea of sizes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bogon07 (April 9th, 2015), Cob (April 9th, 2015), cwent2 (April 8th, 2015), Flounder (April 28th, 2015), Jeph (April 9th, 2015), Jon Szanto (April 8th, 2015), jtanhw (April 9th, 2015), kaisnowbird (April 9th, 2015), Mesu (May 2nd, 2015), pica pica (April 9th, 2015), Potter (April 9th, 2015), RuiFromUK (April 9th, 2015), Ste_S (April 9th, 2015)