It came to my attention today that Singapore has a Certificate of Entitlement for those wishing to own and use a motor vehicle and a limited quota of Certificates may be valid at any one time.

I am generally of the opinion that private ownership of property is perfectly acceptable but where ownership of property - especially surplus property - causes, adds to, or perpetuates the hardship of others it is contrary to the reasonable best interests of society, and therefore - despite my general dislike for law as an answer to all our social ills - should be legislated against.

I absolutely despise landlords, as in those who make business from charging others for accommodation or shelter; in my opinion they are parasites who do not contribute to society, indeed, they add to and compound the hardship of those who are not themselves real property owners and, in so doing, not only profit from but also further exacerbate other social ills.

By no means am I a communist, however, I do believe those who are privileged enough to be so enlightened and benefit from a first world standard of living should take responsibility for furthering the continued rebalancing of our social inequalities. Following the inspirational, if not perfect, example of the Singapore car quota, I am now wondering how practicable it would be to introduce such a system to manage surplus real estate.

Any ideas?