Thread: 1st review - Visconti HS Florentine Hills

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default 1st review - Visconti HS Florentine Hills

Hi all,

First review here so go easy on me... Let's start with the pictures.

https://goo.gl/photos/57Wj4iGCRCXUX3jAA

I've not had much time with this pen as I only had it for a couple weeks, and only recently inked it to use. My HS has a F nib (originally had a M nib but the retailer swapped it to an F nib for me before shipping). From everything that I read and watched, Visconti typically write very wet and thicker which is why I went for the F nib. Currently it is inked with Monte Verde Yosemite Green. Filling the barrel was quite easy and a more pleasurable experience than my piston and CC filler pens.

My first several pages of writing, I was very suprised that writing with this nib / ink combo provided a much thinner line than my Sailor KOP with M nib and my Pelikan M1000 with F nib. This is on various papers (3 different standard office papers and the Rhodia dot pad in the pictures). Again, from everything I read, I expected a thicker and extremely juicy line. If I had the oppurtunity to test it out before purchasing I may have went with a medium. Not much hint of feedback, especially on the Rhodia dot pad. The nib seemed to glide over the paper with no issues of railroding, hard starts, or skipping during the short writing sessions. Oils from my hand didn't seem to give it any trouble either.

Going back to the pen and pen design, I definitely like the aesthetics of the pen. The stripes / ribbons in the barrel and cap really look deep and dimensional. I do like how each one is different than the others and give a limited edition pen even more uniqueness. No issues with the clip regarding putting it in a shirt or pants pocket. One thing I did notice though was the lacquer on the clip seems inconsistent -- some lacquer over the letters. I tried to capture it in the pictures. When the cap is on the pen I expected it to fit tighter with less play. I know its a springloaded cap with the quick lock threads but more play than I thought and it doesn't feel that secure. I haven't had any issues with it uncapping in my pocket which is good.

Hope my initial impressions were helpful to someone and I plan on doing an update down the road. Looking forward to many more years of writing with this one. More reviews to come on my other pens as I get more time with them.
    Last edited by Spoonage; January 18th, 2017 at 07:19 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spoonage For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (April 1st, 2017), EHV (January 19th, 2017), frmamede (February 4th, 2017), jar (January 19th, 2017)