Thread: What Would You Do?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default What Would You Do?

So, I've had a really bad experience with a seller who sells pens on FPN, on FPG, and presumably elsewhere. I'll describe the experience below, but I won't identify him. My question is, should I identify him so other buyers can beware? Or is that mean-spirited?

Here's what happened:

I bought a $375 MB 234 1/2 from a seller on FPN (he sells pens here, too). Before I bought the pen I asked him if the cork had been recently replaced and wanted to make sure the pen was in good working condition. He told me that it was all in working order.

When I received the pen, it wrote horribly. It gushed ink, and even though it was an IB, I didn't think it should produce that much flow. I tried different inks and papers. I gave the pen a thorough try. But it was awful.

I emailed the seller and told him something was wrong with the pen. I asked him what my options were--could I return it to him or would he pay for repairs if I had a restorer here in the states look at it? His response was rude and unhelpful. He said that I had the pen for 10 days and I should've contacted him immediately. He also said that IB nibs have a heavy flow. The pen was perfectly fine when he sent it (he claimed), and since I had the pen for 10 days he had no responsibility at all (also implying that I must've done something to damage the pen). I don't think 10 days is too long to try a pen (I was criticized by another seller when I contacted her after only one day of using a pen and she said I hadn't given it a good try!)

I have since sent the pen to Gary Lehrer who emailed me yesterday and told me that not only was the nib misaligned, but the cork was not creating a proper vacuum and seal, thus producing the gushing flow. In other words, the seller sold me a pen that was not in working condition. I think $375 is a high price to pay for a pen that won't write. I've emailed the seller what Gary told me, but he has not responded, and I doubt he will. I think he ought to pay for my repair costs, at the least. But, of course, there is no arbitrator for such disputes, is there?

I've already decided I'm done buying pens from anyone except reputable dealers, even if I have to pay a higher price.

What would you do? Would you expose him? Would you leave it be?

Susan
    Last edited by Susan3141; May 2nd, 2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Edited to remove seller's location.
    Show me a shiny blue fountain pen and I will probably buy it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susan3141 For This Useful Post:

jbb (May 3rd, 2013), klpeabody (May 5th, 2013)